Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Second season was quite incredible.

2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

And a great Agnes Obel song over the credits.

Mylene likes this.
  3. James1972

James1972 Well-Known Member

Fleabag. Only if you are o.k. with a bit of inappropriate language and situations.

Werner Berghofer likes this.
  4. alexpop

Finished Twin Peaks the return ( 2017) didn’t expect it to be so enjoyable. Ending leaves room for another Twin Peaks instalment in the future, cast are keen to do another one.

slipkid likes this.
  5. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Suburra: Blood on Rome (TV Series 2017–2019) - IMDb is really good too.

fabre likes this.
  6. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

7. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I think it's made by the same production company as the Gomorra TV series. but set in Rome as opposed to Naples. I have to admit I probably prefer Suburra but then I haven't watched Gomorra so recently, although I started watching the first episode of the current series of Gomorra a few weeks ago but wasn't in the mood for a bit of the old ultraviolence so leaving it for another time.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I really dug the new series. Much better than the original IMO. None of the stupid high school romance stupidity. Just tons of super weirdness!

alexpop likes this.
  9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Taboo

alexpop likes this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great show. Tom Hardy is the new Steve McQueen IMO. Was just talking about it at work last week, wondering what happened to it. Been waiting for ages for Season 2 to come out. Had to go on the web to see what the story is (been delayed but hopefully coming next year?).

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Too Old To Die Young. Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn. Probably the most violent and disturbing series I’ve ever seen. Visually, it’s one of the the most stunning series.

slipkid and alexpop like this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx for the tip. I've seen some of his movies (need to see more) & liked his directing style.

13. alexpop

Production values looked cheap, BBC. Too slow and lumbering for my taste. Atmospheric enough ..maybe season 2 will pick up the pace, if there is a S2.

14. alexpop

Looks like just one season. But if it ever becomes available in physical media I’ll pick it up.

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow. Just watched episode one & part of the epi #2. Has NWR's trademark directing style, lots of slow pan shots, shots through things like doorways or windows, very intense imagery, lots of colored light type shots (especially things bathed in red), slowly developing shots where you don't know what yer seeing at first, stuff like that, tons of weirdness and bad evil characters (especially the cops!). Amazing show if the storylines hold up (most of his movies are visually stunning like this but the stories let me down). Will watch the whole season. Thx again for the tip!

Brenald79 likes this.
  16. alexpop

Alienist.

Any good?

Only one season ( think there’s another planned).

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Answering myself above which is always weird, I just finished the whole first season and am blown away. Gotta thank Brenald79 again for his recommendation. I am a lover of directing styles/techniques etc and this show is chock full of NWF "style". The way it is filmed is quite different than your usual TV show (if there is even such a thing as "usual" TV anymore, it is so diverse and creative with all of the various shows like those discussed in this thread).

When I watched the first two episodes I thought this show was going to be just about crooked cops, gangsters, drug cartels, etc but it took a dramatic left turn with some new characters being introduced and moved into both Dexter-like territory (killing "bad" people that "deserve" to die) as well as supernatural new age extra-terrestial/dimensional aliens (hard to explain even if I did understand it & don't want to give anything away anyways). Am disappointed in how they chose to close some character story arcs (I had thought of at least 2 other ways to go that I was looking forward to seeing but oh well), still am very much hoping it returns for a 2nd season and how that goes, although I suspect this might be it.

If you liked series such as Breaking Bad (the drug cartel element), Twin Peaks (the last season especially, where the weirdness is amped up to 11), Dexter, etc - but told through a slow moving red colored lens with atmospheric shots galore you might dig this show. Just be warned that it is very violent & bad things happen, some of that to people that deserve it but much of it to people that don't (like real life).

Brenald79 likes this.
  18. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The Shield

19. alexpop

Total Film magazine ( Hobbs Shaw cover )gave Deadwood the movie 3/5.

20. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Alexpop, if you haven't already, finish off Deadwood by watching the finale. THEN and only then have you finished that great series. :)

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

:righton:

carrick doone likes this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm sure that has been mentioned in this thread already (my favorite cop show ever) but deserves re-mentioning multiple times :)

23. alexpop

Picked it up cheap Being Human not great but kinda watchable.

24. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Viewed 1st episode last night. (Ready for something suspenseful & darker, again - though, not as dark & chilling as Luther, again, yet, either. Something to sink teeth into, though.)
    I'd thought it looked fascinating from trailer & yes, fully on-board after 1st episode, which didn't disappoint.
    So far...:thumbsup:
    Did you....has anyone, watched Sense8?

(Had no idea about the series creators: Wachowki & Stracynski?)

- I didn't end up getting into The Rook, as I'd thought I might. Gave it 2 episodes & began a 3rd, but gave up on it.

alexpop likes this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm going back and rewatching some stuff until I decide what to dive into next (I actually really want to see the 2nd season of COUNTERPART but my library doesn't have that yet), and I am rewatching TRUE DETECTIVE - the 2nd season now. I didn't like that season much on first look, found it very confusing, over-complicated, half-baked, and silly, but am liking it now. The epic gun battle at the end of episode #4 is simply astonishing.

Ok, these folks hated it & I get what their saying but I still dug it anyway:
    'True Detective' Episode 4: Sorry, but that shootout was ridiculous

‘True Detective’s ‘Down Will Come’ Has a Thrilling Firefight, But It’s Not Enough to Cut Through the Haze

Tokyo Ghost likes this.