Spider-Man: Far From Home

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Absolutely true! I don't know if it's four exclamation marks true, but it's definitely true. Kevin Feige has done something truly remarkable in the history of cinema, leading an astoundingly huge undertaking, with a crew of tens of thousands, a cast of hundreds and created a coherent saga tying together disparate elements created over decades.

I don't know if the Producer's Guild gives out a lifetime achievement award, but if anyone deserves it, this gentleman does. My wife attended the 31 film Marvel Movie Marathon, 59 hours in one movie theater, and she says it holds up and it ties together incredibly well when you do that.

davenav, JakeM and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Happy B-Day, bud. :)

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think the ASM films are a good guideline as to what Sony would be doing without the Marvel deal. I really liked Andrew Garfield (and Sally Field and Martin Sheen), but those two movies were muddled messes--tonally all over the place, and the stupid "Peter as conspiracy theorist tracking down the secret of his slain super-scientist parents" was a tedious and idiotic time-wasting subplot. The villains sucked, the movies were overstuffed with silly crap, and Sony was caught up in trying to world-build to compete with Marvel, setting up several future films and spinoffs but falling badly on their faces.

Venom also gives an indication what Spidey solely under Sony would be like--generic, hollow, forgettable, barely-competent genre fare.

I'm a bit surprised at the mixed response Far From Home is getting in the Spidey fan circles I check out--fans hate how Peter is still in Stark's shadow, is a kind of "Iron Man Jr.", and how Stark has basically taken the place of Uncle Ben (still heretofore unmentioned in this film series) as Peter's motivation and inspiration. I really dislike those elements also, but Marvel certainly knows how to otherwise make a slick superhero film that's also a great moviegoing experience (and their casting is still top-notch). Sony, on the other hand, don't (Into The Spider-Verse notwithstanding).

I would say give it a chance, even if you're remotely curious. It's way better than Captain Marvel. And Mysterio is done exceptionally well in this film.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Except for the fact that he bears little to NO resemblance, in any way, to the original Steve Ditko character. Coulda called him Forbush-Man and it wouldnt change a thing!;)

5. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I'm with you; although I'm interested to see where the MCU goes after this, I just get the feeling they've played their biggest card, shot their most effective creative bolt... those 22 films (concluding with Endgame) were a remarkably interconnected narrative tapestry unlike anything attempted or achieved before in the annals of movie-making... the fact they pulled it off with aplomb is even more remarkable in itself!!!

Endgame is arguably one of the very best CBM's to date, in my opinion; epic, emotional, powerful, profoundly compelling... there's no doubt whatsoever it's up there with the likes of Superman: The Movie, Spider-Man 2, The Dark Knight, or even (IMHO) Watchmen... the trouble is where does, where can, the MCU go from there...?

Whilst sitting in the cinema watching Endgame (five times!), at the moment Cap says "Avengers... assemble!" and they all go into battle against Thanos, I turned to the wifey and literally said "they're never gonna top this".

I stand by that statement to this day... Endgame gave me that same feeling I got with Day 5 of 24 or Skyfall with regards to Daniel Craig's current Bond tenure... you just know it's not going to be as good as THIS again... hope that I'm wrong but believe that I'm not...

6. Chrome_Head

Really? Wears a fishbowl helmet, traffics in SFX and head-game illusions, and even
    starts out posing as a hero just as he did in the Lee/Ditko first appearance?
    Sounds a lot like Mysterio to me. They only jettisoned the Hollywood SFX expert angle, which would likely have had limited use in this movie.

Keep in mind Marvel now has access to the Fantastic Four (and Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer and Galactus) along with ALL of the X-Men characters. They have even more grist now to build to something just as epic, and there's certainly no shortage of storylines they can adapt from.

porieux likes this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Kev says.....:

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Saw this yesterday with my family, and, as with all of these movies, what made it bearable was the non-superhero moments. The teenage rom-com story was watchable because Tom Holland and Zendaya play well together and made that subplot work. Marisa Tomei also stole the scenes she appeared in.

The Mysterio plot with the drones and illusions was beyond stupid ... as well as basically a rip-off of the Screenslaver character and his evil plot in Incredibles 2. I felt embarrassed for Jake Gyllenhall: both for the dumb lines he had to deliver, and for the wooden way in which he delivered them. At least come up with an original story. I suppose it’s all a comment on The Way We Live Now, but “people want to be fooled, we live in a world of virtual reality online, blah blah blah” is a heavy-handed message that most people have sort of figured out already, and I could personally do without.

Could have been a cute and OK teenage rom-com with Tom Holland and Zendaya minus all the dumb blowing up half of Europe action scenes.

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I had the number of Marvel films incorrect. There were 22 films including Endgame.

And my wife agrees with your use of four exclamation marks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    davenav likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there are even more films than that where...

...the new "hero" turns out to actually be the villain and is causing all the havoc in the first place, and is also doing so with the aid of other people, illusions, gimmicks, and all that stuff.

I shouldn't say any more for those who haven't yet seen the film, but I would agree with you that Jake Gyllenhaal is wasted in the part.

Very likely.

Spencer R and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But the Raimis were all under Sony sans MCU - of course, MCU hadn't put out a movie yet when "Spidey 3" arrived!

Maybe you can say Sony was saved from itself by Raimi, but that still shows that Sony wasn't completely clueless when it came to how to handle Spidey!

12. Chrome_Head

I love the Raimi movies for the most part, and without them and the X-flicks, there arguably wouldn’t have even been an MCU (interesting that the MCU rose as both those franchises started to flag; also watched the “Editor’s Cut” of SM3 recently and noticed Kevin Feige had a producer’s credit on the 2007 movie alongside Stan Lee). But SM3 shows how Sony lost the plot, and then Raimi couldn’t get the 4th movie together in time to his own satisfaction, leading to Sony chucking everything, recasting and doing the 2012 reboot in order to keep the film rights (when really, they should have just changed a few elements and kept the story going instead of rebooting completely).

When the Sony email hack happened back in 2014 or 2015, the sheer amount of stupid expanded Spider-universe ideas they were trying to cook up came to light. Luckily a majority of them didn’t end up happening.

The heyday of the original Spidey trilogy was also a LONG time ago, and when Raimi left, the quality suffered hard IMO. Luckily, studio types like the clueless Amy Pascal have thankfully moved on in the meantime (Pascal was trying to coax Raimi back in 2013 or 2014 to fix the floundering Spidey movies, however). Sony would be smart to keep their current deal locked in with Marvel (Holland is currently only under contract for one more solo film).

Vidiot likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I heard it was two.

I have come up with my own acronym for Marvel.

FTMCU.

No offense. I’m just kind of burned out.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Meanwhile, the industry is rejoicing that the movie made so much money, and many are talking about how Marvel once again has avoided the dreaded Franchise Fatigue...

Box Office: How 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Beat Franchise Fatigue

I don't think the movie was very good, but I have to say, they cast them very well and the audience clearly likes what they're doing. But I sense that the writers are just going through the motions and there's nothing new there. I was kinda bored by the movie, and that generally doesn't happen with me.

GodShifter and neo123 like this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The powers that be at Marvel have to be aware of the different quality levels of their product. A movie like Endgame is them swinging for the fences, others are more comedic, while others, like this new Spiderman, are clearly aimed at the same audience that flocked to Shazam! The kid's! The youngsters who make up the lions share of the movie-going populace! Get the kids hooked NOW, so 50 yrs from now they can be discussing men in tights on the Steve Hoffman forums!;)

davenav likes this.
  16. Chrome_Head

I really hope they're building Holland up to be a college-age Spider-Man, then an adult Spider-Man, which is the characters true sweet spot IMO. I never cared much for kid Spider-Man. I believe Holland has said he's game to do like 9 movies.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Unfortunately, his deal runs out with the next film, so it's up in the air whether Sony/Marvel wants to recast or what. Anything is possible, but I think Holland is the best version of Peter Parker they've had so far. He's got a lot of energy and charm, and he's not a bad actor (assuming he gets a decent script). It's a similar problem to Batman: you really have to cast the ordinary human first, before you think about the superhero.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Sony green lighted the next movie already.

wayneklein likes this.
  19. vince

"SONY GREEN IS PEOPLE!!"

PH416156, Simon A, chrischerm and 2 others like this.
  20. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Very true, but tell me who in the current post-Endgame MCU has the charisma, connection, and heart to replace Tony Stark or Steve Rogers... and that's the most important thing of all; the thing that drives the universe forward and keeps the audience coming back amidst the big battles and spectacular action sequences? Eye candy is one thing... audience emotional connection is altogether a tougher nut to crack.

I'd rather have a new Howard the Duck movie before another bloody X-Men movie, to be frank... the latter needs a good, loooooong rest for a while.

wayneklein likes this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

We get what we deserve.

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

He's already done 5 and he's only 23! At this rate, I can easily see them cranking out another 4 within the next 2-3 yrs!

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Underrated humor right there.

chrischerm and vince like this.
  24. vince

It's a mad-house, GodShifter!
    ...a mad-house!

GodShifter likes this.
  25. Chrome_Head

If I had to guess, I think Marvel is banking on Cumberbatch's Stephen Strange, Larsen's Captain Marvel and Boseman's Black Panther to be the new leading lights of the MCU. Holland also, but that will always be up in the air due to the seemingly tenuous deal with Sony, who could pull the rug out at any time.

They should really cast John Krasinski and Emily Blunt as Reed Richards and Sue Storm in a Fantastic Four reboot, then they'd have them too.

Some of the Fox-Men movies were pretty good I thought (some were garbage like the recent Dark Phoenix dud). Now Marvel has the chance to do them right. We'll see. At the very least, they have Deadpool to play with in the meantime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.