The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

And you got to be the "cool uncle", which is always nice.

Zeki and JoeRockhead like this.
  2. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

I thought it was a fun movie. I have seen criticism of the premise, but you need to suspend disbelief at any movie like this. Does Freaky Friday or Big have "believable" scenarios, of course not, but people are drawn to those movies because they were clever, and so is Yesterday. Corny, maybe a bit too much of the love story-line, but still fun.

3. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I thought the film was very well done for what it is. I was very moved by the new renditions of Beatle songs, particularly Yesterday, The Long and Winding Road, and Let It Be. Not that they are in the same league as the originals of course, but I thought they were done respectfully and beautifully. A lot of good laughs in the movie. McKinnon is always too over the top for me, but I loved Joel Fry's burned out roadie character. I thought Patel was great in the lead, nice voice too. There were some heavy moments in terms of my love and relationship to that music and the people that made it originally, but overall I thought the film was nicely light and enjoyable.

4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Another big inconsistency problem :D
    James Taylor is mentioned in the talk show scene. If Oasis didn't exist because of no Beatles, James Taylor shouldn't have existed either since his first album was on Apple Records.

I enjoyed the movie anyway.

5. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Ha! Good observation!

But here's another inconsistency I thought of last week, a bit of a stretch but bare with me... (no spoiler because I don't think it has much to do with spoiling the narrative or a joke in the film)

You can clearly see a poster for Radiohead's 2007 album In Rainbows album in Jack's bedroom. Radiohead famously was inspired by The Beatles White Album to write both "Paranoid Android" (inspired by "Happiness is a Warm Gun") and "Karma Police" (a literal rip off of "Sexy Sadie") , the two chief singles that propelled their seminal 1997 album OK Computer.

If The Beatles never existed, Radiohead probably wouldn't have ever written "Paranoid Android" or "Karma Police". In that case OK Computer probably would not have been as successful, which would not have allowed them them a career to be the biggest rock band in the world at the end of the 2000s and eventually even record In Rainbows.

6. Chris DeVoe

He was far too talented not to be signed by somebody else.

And the United States was equally important as a source of cotton, and that still would've resulted in the urge to tell King George to get stuffed.

stevenson66g, mercuryvenus and SRC like this.
  7. SRC

If one looks too closely at the film, in regards as how the world would be different if the Beatles hadn't existed, yes, I think the whole thing falls apart. I think it's meant to just be enjoyed in a lighter way. I myself imagine that a world truly without the Beatles would be simply a scorched earth full of people crawling around in rags like zombies, but that's just me. I took the movie as a light romantic comedy with some great music in it, and also a fine tribute to the staying power of the Beatles music.

But I would agree that the Oasis thing is an unnecessary plot hole that doesn't make sense. They could have left the "Oasis doesn't exist" thing in as a joke, but had him playing a different writer's song at the outset (in both "realities").

Pawnmower, kozy814, DK Pete and 2 others like this.
  8. SRC

Yeah, he could have found success elsewhere. Generally the people who become famous don't give up easily. I don't know his history in detail but my understanding is that his early Apple period was a bit of a train wreck anyway, requiring a bit of a restart later.

mercuryvenus and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

No romantic comedy ever made can bear overly close examination. Half the things young men do in pursuit of young women in those kind of movies would result in, at the very least, restraining orders if not actual jail time.

The Onion had it right:

Romantic-Comedy Behavior Gets Real-Life Man Arrested

This movie exists so we can see people hearing these songs for the first time and being deeply moved by them. Enough for me.

To some extent, it's wish fulfillment on the part of the writer - wishing to be in the place where he could hear these songs for the first time again. I can remember how I felt when I first heard of a favorite song, but I cannot get back into that same emotional state.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...yea, but if you guys really want to look for inconsistencies, the way the entire culture was set up from Jack's friends to ANY band existing as we know it would not 'exist' without the advent of The Beatles. And no, I'm not saying that without The Beatles the planet would have ceased to spin...but there are numerous social/cultural aspects they directly influenced...hence, to really get into and enjoy this movie, one has to put aside all the technical "how could haves" and just love it for what it is.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Upsiditus likes this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great post. You sound like you and I may be after the same thing: a serious movie which REALLY digs into life without a "Beatles". This movie was basically that of a light hearted script with a fun scenario and one or two "deep" moments thrown in. But overall, it did *not* depict life without The Beatles ever having existed.

12. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I might be able to bring it back if the same audio to midi technology existed

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Um, no, I'm pretty sure I enjoyed the movie regardless.

Exotiki likes this.
  14. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Spoilers are STILL discouraged.

Please keep this in mind.

Drifter, bonus and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I am not sure if this is supposed to be about (1) what the world be like if the Beatles never existed; or (2) a guy is thrust into a world where
    a few random big things were erased from having ever existed: Beatles, Coke, cigarettes, but everything else existed or came into existence or stayed in existence as normal. Do the Stones exist in that world because the writers had knowledge enough to know the Stones were starting to thrive in London in '62-'63, completely independent of the Beatles? OR do the Stones exist in that world because they were not one of the things randomly eliminated, like Coke?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Because not everyone has seen it. Some have said that they don't plan to see it until it's on home video, streaming or presumably they are waiting for someone to come to their home with a projector and a six-pack.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  17. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

You're thinking about it too much :)

It's just a fun movie. It isn't meant to be a sci-fi sort of movie with a really well thought-out alternate reality.

kanakaris, ARK, Big Pasi and 2 others like this.
  18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm seeing this Internet-wide.. The only movie in existence where analysis is discouraged.
    Every time people try and discuss the plot and stuff, we're ordered not to think about it.

I actually saw the movie tonight BECAUSE of the spoiler.. I was disinterested but my curiosity got to me.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Upsiditus and Lost In The Flood like this.
  19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Nice post. As I mentioned above, I only saw the movie because of the spoiler I read online. When waiting, I looked at the movie poster on my phone and it said "everyone in the world has forgotten the Beatles." That's actually different than what everyone is saying: a world where the Beatles never existed. This can explain why the culture is pretty much the same and all these other bands exist that shouldn't. But there are at least 3 obvious plot holes about this. First is the Oasis one that you mentioned, which they use as a joke.. and probably did "Wonderwall" as a payoff to Noel to let them do it. Second, the world may have forgotten the Beatles but that doesn't mean their records would vanish from Jack's collection and everybody elses. And third involves the big spoiler scene.. so I'll use the spoiler thing..

If the world "forgot" to the Beatles as opposed to never existing, John would still be dead because the Beatles still had happened. But since he's not, we have to assume the other 3 are equally living secluded lifes to not hear or care about what Jack's up to. Because I got the feeling John lived that life but has been enjoying his newfound anonymity.

Upsiditus and jrice like this.
  20. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Interesting take on that scene.

At what point can we be done with the spoiler thing and just talk about that scene openly?!

21. Chris DeVoe

After it's been released on home video, maybe? The sad reality is that a huge number of people aren't going to see it in the movie theater, and deserve the opportunity to have an emotional reaction. And that would be unfair. It's really not that tough to use the spoiler feature.

Presumably you're welcome to open your own Yesterday - Spoilers Galore! thread.

stevenson66g, Drifter and bonus like this.
  22. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

It was fun. It was also light enough that a spoiler would be no big deal. No, it wasn’t super tight and beautifully constructed with superb acting across the board, but it wasn’t a letdown. It’s just a fun movie with a few things to ponder.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Seen Yesterday (pun intended). It was great fun. We enjoyed it a lot.

I have a couple of questions but maybe I put them into the Spoiler button:

In the trailer he is told to compose a song in a TV show and he sings Something. Was this supposed to appear in the film?. Nothing of that appeared in the version I saw yesterday in the theatre!

And I have read in this thread that he looked for The Beatles in this SH forum... Is that true or was it a joke? I failed to catch that in the film. You know, I saw the translated in spanish version. In this version the images of the computer screen were also translated, maybe they used only Google screen images thinking that the SH reference would not be meaningful for the spanish audience...

24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The scene was cut from the movie. There are details on another thread on this film.

25. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Answer to your 2 questions

The director cut the 'Something scene out and turned the James Corden show into a dream sequence. Read about it here: Yesterday Cut An Entire Character From The Film That Would Have Changed The Plot

Himesh Patel says here Yesterday star Himesh Patel reveals The Beatles song that got cut that the scene should make it to the bonus section of the DVD. But that remains to be seen.

I saw the movie but I didn't see a SH forum link. Though I guess I didn't look that close.

lrpm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.