Bosch TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peace N. Love, Jul 24, 2015.

1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The actor who plays the Bosch character - Titus Welliver - really reminds me of Steve McQueen in Bullitt? His style of dress, mannerisms, and speech seem similar to me. Anyone else see any similarities or is it just me?

mooseman likes this.
  2. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Never watched it, (but then, other than TCM, I rarely/never watch television), but having been hooked on the novels since Black Echo, the first Bosch book nearly 30 years ago, I'm afraid my reaction would be much the same. I just feel like Harry Bosch needs to stay on the printed page, where he is best served.

GodShifter, BradF and Peace N. Love like this.
  3. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a tough thing. I suspect that any time a book or book series has lodged itself in your brain, you're likely going to have issues with a screen adaptation. On the other hand, if the TV series' success encourages more people to seek out the original novels, then that's a good thing.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Love the books and the show. As a crime fiction junkie I think it’s great that this series got made (with Connelly being an executive producer of course) during the peak tv show era when so many of the top series are crime series that were inspired by crime fiction. Same thing with John LeCarre getting a lot of his books made into series.

GodShifter and Bluesman Mark like this.
  5. Bluesman Mark

Very true. Anything that encourages more people to read is a great thing, & Michael Connelly's books are so sharply & cleanly written. I'm a voracious reader, (fiction & non fiction both), & he's one of the best writers I've ever encountered.

Oddly enough, the last TV show I really watched was based on a character(s) from a book, & that's Justified. Raylan Givens had been in two Elmore Leonard novels & a short story of course, but wasn't as established as Bosch is. I gave the show a chance, & found that even as it expanded the characters beyond the short story the first episode was based on, that the casting of every single character over it's six seasons, down to the most minor was spot on perfect, & the scripts & dialogue always rang true to Leonard's writing style. Along with M*A*S*H & Sanford & Son, it's the only other show I have complete on DVD.

George P and GodShifter like this.
  6. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I was trying to think of who he reminded me of and I couldn’t think of anyone but now that you mentioned McQueen, that is him. He’s got all the facial expressions and style.

rockclassics likes this.
  7. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Yes. Almost done and hope for more seasons. Well adapted from the books.

mooseman likes this.
  8. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Big fan of the show, especially for all of the LA locations.

I just finished re-watching Deadwood--it's kind of weird seeing Welliver with a full head of dark hair and a beard as Silas Adams.

mooseman likes this.
  9. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Shaddup. Wait until you’re 40-ish and 10 years go by like nothing.

mooseman likes this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Pretty sure this is one my mom’s favourite shows because she thinks he’s hot.

mooseman likes this.
  11. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Heh...I was 40-ish a couple of decades ago. :D

What I meant was his look was really different in Deadwood vs Bosch.

musicarus likes this.
  12. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

So was mine!

Yawndave likes this.
  13. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The stories may be well adapted from the books, but the title character is not so much. I found that the TV screen Bosch and the book Bosch are night & day different.

As I said in this thread: Bosch, Jazz Vinyl Loving Cop On Amazon

"They are really changing this series up from the books, which doesn't bother me too much. For one thing, Harry is suddenly a Golf War vet instead of a Vietnam vet, which makes his tunnel rat background a bit weird in context. I tend to doubt there were many tunnels in the Gulf War. :) Also, they seem to be making him out to be some sort of respected leader in the detective room. That's not how he is portrayed most of the time in the books. In the books, Harry's the lone wolf - even Edgar doesn't work too closely with him."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Bluesman Mark likes this.
  14. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I love the show. At first i wasn't sure I'd continue because I viewed Bosch as too much of an A-H. But i got used to it and all the other elements of the show make it into an interesting series. btw, if you like Bosch you would probably also like Goliath on Amazon Prime. Yes, Bosch is a detective and the star of Goliath is an attorney, I watched them back to back and found them to be almost equally good shows, and with the same sort of target audience.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    unclefred and mooseman like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Welliver was totally wasted in "Deadwood".

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

musicarus and budwhite like this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

You’re aware that this is another Michael Connelly book series, right?

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Nope! But didn’t McConaughey act in the movie?

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yeah man there’s been 6 novels with Mickey Haller (i.e. The Lincoln Lawyer). He’s Harry Bosch’s half brother. Lots of character crossover in both the Bosch and Haller book series. This is huge news.
    And yes McCoaughey played Haller in the movie.

20. Bluesman Mark

Now that to me is a deal killer right there. In the books Bosch is fundamentally honest & true to his beliefs, even if it makes him a lone wolf & leads him the wrong direction sometimes. The fact that he's not perfect & has rough edges only adds to the character's complexity over the arc of the books, along with his aging naturally.

I can understand retconning the character from being a Vietnam War vet to a Gulf War vet on the show for obvious reasons, but you're correct, likely not many tunnel rats in that war.

Steve Litos likes this.
  21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Does this show get exponentially better than the pilot? I just watched that, and thought it seemed like your basic TV cop drama.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yes. Season 4 is particularly good.

Steve Litos likes this.
  23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Yes, keep watching. It get's better and better.

Steve Litos likes this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

As I noted, the first season, in my estimation, wasn't that great. Kind of a by the numbers serial killer guy who loves to bait the cop etc. It seemed kind of boiler plate. The second season, with Jeri Ryan, was marginally better, but not that spectacular either. I'll start up season three here in a bit and see if things improve.

jon9091 and Steve Litos like this.
  25. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I wouldn't say it's great but
    He reminds me of Steve McQueen a bit too.

But actor Damian Lewis REALLY looks like Steve McQueen and I've thought that since Band Of Brothers