Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So just the same old warhorses??? :thumbsdow

Hot Ptah and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

its actually the same guys on the stones forums who are arguing here. exact same people.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

If you have a second, if you can give us complete, detailed reviews of the 55 Stones shows you have attended, that will be great!

:D ;)

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

The audience wouldn’t know it, but I’d go crazy if they ever dusted off “We Love You” for a show .

ODShowtime, Carl80, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  5. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

With a surprise appearance by McCartney on backing vocals?

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

or Dandelion for that matter. :D

7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

AC had a great setlist on paper, but the (audience) boot I heard was pretty dire.

I went to Baltimore, and IMHO, it wasn't really until the last encore ("Satisfaction") that things really caught fire. Independently of my own opinion, there was a lengthy review from a native Baltimorean (on the then-official messageboard affiliated with the official website, IIRC) who said the same exact thing. I did go to Philly1 in 2005 (skipping the encores), and I will say that it was not a waste of time. The boot from Columbus, OH 2005 wasn't shabby, either.

But that tour was born under a bad sign. Their Juilliard press-conference/performance was pretty horrifying.

footlooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

It made me wonder if the people doing the "expensive graphics" just culled everything that's been officially registered as a composition (with ASCAP/BMI?). There used to be a site where you could look up publishers and authors for a song. I'm not having any luck locating it right now.

9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

They would have to, in order to create a cascading three dimensional graphic of that enormous size

10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Right, so besides the lack of quality control, it made me wonder who registered "Highway Child" and when. "And Mr. Pitney..." had an official release, IIRC.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Atlantic City in 2006 was very good for a post-accident show, although part of the impact was probably the fact that the guitars were quite up front in the mix, which itself was very loud. I do think that the shows immediately prior to the accident were very, very good, with arena shows in general being better than stadium shows. The show I saw at the LA Forum in March 2006 was fantastic. The Saitama show in April was almost as good. The video that circulates is an unedited show filmed for television and it's great; it's too bad they felt compelled to edit the footage they included on the "Biggest Bang" DVD.

laf848 and footlooseman like this.
  12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

That would be amazing for both.

Glenn Christense and John Fell like this.
  13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

AC was solid, perhaps the best of that leg of the tour.

14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Au contraire - I think that 3-song set was maybe the last burst of "pure" live Stones we've gotten: no Chuck, no horns, just a 4-piece beat combo rocking under the sun.

At the very least, it's certainly the best version of "Oh No Not You Again" that exists - I much prefer it to the studio one.

EDIT: Just rewatched it. Yeah, give me these garage Stones all day:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    enro99, GoodKitty, laf848 and 3 others like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Man, I'd struggle to give a detailed review of the show I saw last week! :laugh:

With 55 shows over 30 years, there are some I can't remember much about at all. Even in terms of general impressions, it's a short list.

When you've gone to nearly 1000 concerts total, it's tough to keep all of them straight! :D

16. Oatsdad

As I noted above, I'm not good at generating specific reflections about shows. I know I really enjoyed the 2 shows in question, though! :shrug:

My more specific memory of the 2nd O2 show in 2007 was that Keith and Ronnie were meh but Mick and Charlie carried the show.

As I recall, the British press had panned the 1st O2 show, and Mick had a chip on his shoulder. Mick commented on those reviews and seemed pretty pissed about the whole thing, which I think spurred him to a better performance.

I doubt Mick often feels like he has something to prove, but that seemed to be the case that night!

O2 Night 3 wasn't as good!

17. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

This is what we want, yet we’ll never get it

twicks likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

I only saw the 2 fall 2006 shows, so I can't compare to much else, especially since the Beacon show I attended was "tainted" by the crappy sight lines I had!

FWIW, I saw the Stones 9 times on the Bigger Bang tour: 3 2005, 4 2006, 2 2007.

I thought I'd gone more than that! Fall 2005 was stupid busy for me concert-wise, though - in addition to the Stones, U2 and McCartney were on the road.

With less competition, I probably would've seen the Stones more in fall 2005, but I had so many other shows to attend that I couldn't find the time!

19. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Hot Ptah likes this.
  20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

They still had the chops left to pull it off back then, I don't think they could now.

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Ronnie's still the new guy.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

A review posted here. I thought Keith might get a laugh out of that.
    Not that he lurks here.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Nope. Still hate it. It's pretty much Jagger that's the problem.

It was ONNYA that put the final nail in this coffin for me the first time around (and I didn't let it get that far today).

24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I’m not on any other forums. So there.

25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

So is New Orleans happening Saturday, or not?

TonyCzar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.