Spider-Man: Far From Home

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Hey guys, there was a seemingly more important reveal at the way end of the credits, although as I don't follow the Marvel universe as closely as others, I'm not entirely sure how significant it is.

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Yeah....
    I heard about it from Kevin Smith....
    I can't wait THAT LONG to pee!

3. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

:D

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

The Nick Fury and Maria Hill we were watching this whole movie are actually Skrulls: Talos and his wife (both from the Captain Marvel movie). The real Fury was advising them (instead of Skrulls being enemies to humans and maliciously posing as them, they have flipped all that on its head in these movies) and Fury appears to be living on and working from a space station with other Skrulls. I believe this is a space defense station from the comics called The Peak--so they're setting up some major cosmic stuff for Phase 4 of the MCU.

GodShifter and Joel1963 like this.
  5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Wow. I just hugely disagree.

I don’t Even know where to start....

6. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

Just saw this last night, wow there are some cranky curmudgeons in his thread :laugh:

Thought it was fun and really well done, fresh and not particularly predictable.

In fact I say easily the third best Spider-Man movie ever made after Spiderverse and Homecoming.

MCU has really kept up the quality, hope they can continue in the next phase.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nothing is more important
    than JJJ's buzzcut!!! :D

Joel1963 likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Well, he's only done 2 Spidey movies. He had supporting roles in the other 3, so it's not like he's carried 5 movies.

Downey's probably been the busiest of the MCU actors, what with 3 Iron Mans, 4 Avengers, and his fairly prominent roles in "Civil War" and the 1st Spidey along with cameos in some others - and I'm probably forgetting something.

Of course, Downey had 11 years to do all that and not 3 like Holland! :)

GodShifter likes this.
  9. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Here's an idea: a Spider-Man film in which the current actor meets the previous actors (Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield) in some sort of Multiverse story and they have all been fighting crime as Spider-Men for the past several years in their respective Earths.

Maybe first put each one in the other's Earth (so that Maguire would meet the characters from Holland's films and so on), and in the final act they would have to work together against a common threat so that they can return to their planets.

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I did not understand it at all and I’ve read Marvel titles as a kid for years.

That said, I’m way behind on the movies that led to this one, so whatever, I guess.

11. I actually like the Stark as mentor and shadow. There’s only so long he can live under the shadow of what happened to Uncle Ben.

12. Hopefully they can convince him to stick around a little while longer although it would truly mark the end of the latest phase.

13. Chrome_Head

It's akin to making Batman's inspiration for why he fights crime Green Lantern, or making GL a mentor to Batman. It's that incongruous.

He's reportedly locked in for at least one more solo, joint Marvel/Sony movie.

Isn't that kind of what Into The Spider-Verse was though? Granted, there are many that would love this idea using those particular actors for the nostalgia factor.

14. I disagree. Stark became something of a father figure to him and mentor. The characters you mentioned were contemporaries.

It works for me. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. I’m not going to convince you any different but I thought it worked within the context of the film. It was set up in Civil award, carried through to Homecoming it’s not like it came out of the blue. Even if it wasn’t in the original source they did a good job.

15. Chrome_Head

I think it works in the context of the MCU, but it undoubtedly would not have gone that way had Marvel had the Spider-Man movie rights from the beginning when they started up in 2008.

Spider-Man and Iron Man were contemporaries in the comics as well. Peter just started out as a teen hero.

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The very 1st Spiderman comic featured a story where he tried to join the FF! Woulda been more historically accurate had they tried to make Reed Richards a mentor!;) I don't mind the whole IronMan takes over for uncle Ben thing as much as Spiderman becoming Iron Spider! By incorporating SO MUCH of IronMans tech and story, it diminishes Spiderman somewhat, almost making him a 2nd tier hero, in essence, a sidekick! The whole 'miracle suit' concept has become acceptable at BOTH companies in the books AND the movies. Only difference between Batman & IronMan is one wears half a helmet leaving his jaw exposed, Iron Bat!? We've come a looong way from Spidey in space in his new-car smelling armor to the old days when his suit would be shrinking from a bad wash and he had to hold it together with webbing! Ah, the good old days!;)

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Holland has said it's almost completely Sony's decision.

18. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Actually the 2nd!

My tolerance for Marvel movies is now pretty much dependent on how closely they align to the 60s' characters and comics. To the extent that they do, I might check something out; if they don't at all, I'm not interested.

I've nothing against the current Spider-Man (or other character) franchise, but I saw the first one a couple (?) of years ago, and other than the name and the suit there was nothing there that resembled, in any way, the classic and perpetually popular comic-book character. So, to me, it's not "Spider-man", it's another character that's making a huge profit by using the "Spider-man" brand name, which is easy to market.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So how long do we go until Iron Man, Captain America, and The Black Widow are re-introduced back into the MCU? Not the same actors, obviously, but those characters are NOT going to stay dead.

20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

If the comics are any indication, it will happen a matter of months. I'm not sure about Black Widow, but Iron Man and Captain America have both been replaced several times.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I don't think they will ever recast those actual characters i.e. Tony Stark as long as the MCU goes on. You could have another character become Iron Man or Captain America (Falcon was ostensibly given the mantle at the end of End Game), but I don't think they really need to do much of that either. There are a ton of Marvel characters still to be leveraged in the MCU, as new. Shang-Chi and Jack Kirby's Eternals are already up next, and then the Fantastic Four and the X-Men should be integrated further down the line.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. Chrome_Head

Yeah, I think Marvel Studios is far more likely to introduce legacy heroes (Sam or Bucky for Cap, who have both taken the mantle in the comics, or someone like Riri Williams as "Ironheart" to take over for Stark like in the comics). Black Widow is getting a solo movie that is reportedly a prequel and is filming now.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

There really is no need to recast as long as they maintain the same film "universe." I'm reading recent Marvel comics and enjoying some of the spin-off heroes more than the originals. Miles Morales is more interesting than Peter Parker, and I've even warmed to X-23 as the new Wolverine since they've spent the last 30+ years running Logan into the ground. Apparently they're already set to introduce Kate Bishop as the new Hawkeye on the Disney+ series.

GodShifter likes this.
  24. Chrome_Head

I tried reading Miles' book when he was introduced, I just find him dreadfully boring as a character. Into The Spider-Verse was the best take on Miles I've yet seen.

There are just way too many redundant Spider-people running around in the comics now, and no room for another mediocre one. I was surprised at the sloppy way they brought him over from the Ultimate universe to the "616" (probably to placate Bendis at the time).

GodShifter likes this.
  25. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Even before the whole Infinity War/End Game climax run, I wondered if they would ever really run with Rhodey as Iron Man (as happened in the comics) or Sam (or Bucky) as Captain America, and while I think they've enjoyed nodding in that direction as a tip of the hat to the comics, I don't think fans would really buy it onscreen. Why give these legacy heroes (as you put it) new outfits and superhero names when their current ones are just fine?

I think we will get a bunch of relatively disconnected sequels (i.e. Doctor Strange), and then some new stuff with the Eternals, but we may not get a big connected story line again for years, if ever.

Chrome_Head likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.