Toy Story 2 Home Video Release - Retro-Censoring Being Done

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BILLONEEG, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member Thread Starter

I just read this today. Will a 90 minute classic eventually whittle down to 60 minutes & down to 30 minutes because something is considered socially unacceptable each year? Movies, TV shows, books & music should be exempt from such editing because they represent the times they were made! My opinion.
    Toy Story 2 Censored Scene

2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Pathetic! I remember this joke. I thought absolutely nothing of it. It remains harmless in my eyes today.

Ginger Ale, johnny q and phantomime like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this is only the beginning and will get worse...happens when you give nutjobs control...ppl need to grow a pair and put a stop to this sickness...sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me...remember that one? now names/words will not only hurt me they will ruin/destroy my life...

phantomime, Rhett, enro99 and 10 others like this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

This is going to be one of those situations where I'm not sure what's going to be funnier, the fact that someone felt that scene had to be cut or all the people declaring the end of the world because the scene was cut. Should be a good one either way though :laugh:

5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member Thread Starter

I know a guy that flirts with the ladies like that. Every one of those ladies were never offended & found it humorous! Some of them flirted back because they wanted to join in on the fun. They've even thanked him for enlightening their day! The scene was put in as part of a film & has been part of the film for many years. Leave it in & leave it alone!!! People need to get back to reality! Film, books & music represent a time & place in history so it should not be tampered with. My opinion.

6. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

It is the equivalent of book burning.

The past should not be judged by new contemporary standards.

We shouldn't forget or edit the past, we must examine and learn from it.

7. It's a terrible, terrible trend that I don't think is going to end anytime soon. Corporations are at the mercy now of online mobs and have begun censoring any material that violates certain worldviews.

Most troubling was the Simpsons' producers completely removing the Michael Jackson episode from circulation, long after the man is dead. It was the most reactionary response possible to the HBO documentary.

It's one reason why I hold on to physical media.

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I agree that we shouldn't edit the past. (Huckleberry Finn, Catcher In The Rye, and Disney's Song Of The South film. Unavailable for a while. WTF?)
    But how are we supposed to learn from it if we don't judge it?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

mine as well...this has been going on for quite some time...it's not going to stop.

clhboa likes this.
  10. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Good point. I used the word 'judge' expecting the inevitable editing/sentencing that is often paired with judging. Perhaps a better term would be 'condemn.' Thanks.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’m tired of the hypersensitivity. Here’s how I see it:

In the 60s, we “hated” something.

In the 80s, we “weren’t happy” with something

In the 90s we felt “challenged” by something

In the New Millennium, we’re “allergic” to everything.

Smokin Chains, enro99, Murph and 4 others like this.
  12. It's good that people do freak out about such censorship though; otherwise it just further emboldens the neo-bluehairs.

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Next step: updated PC versions of the Toy Story films with new, "modern" tint for Woody and Buzz

Jack Lord likes this.
  14. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

I don’t know about the described scene and I don’t know if this justifies the reactions.
    On television this has been done for a long time because of certain institutions wanting to control what and when something is shown.

In Germany you practically can’t watch an action movie at prime time because you can almost be sure it has been cut.
    I don’t mind anymore because I watch movies on DVD for 20 years and now sometimes on-line .
    Like I said, I don’t know the reason for showing edited movies on streaming channels but there are always people noticing. I guess this means if they do this with a lot of movies they will lose customers.

That said I do agree with those saying we are living in hypersensitive and hysterical times. People are easily offended and a lot of people like to be part of a minority. Not those, that are minorities in the literal sense but those who like to be in the limelight, attention seekers, moaning about harmless and ridiculous stuff.
    This has affected democracies and the landscape of political parties in many countries. Instead of a few parties sharing the votes there are many countries with the once big parties (conservatives and social democrats) having problems with getting a majority. A lot of people aren’t willing to compromise, searching for common grounds anymore but insisting on their opinions like spoilt brats.
    On the one hand it is easier to be fooled with all things digital but on the other hand it is very hard to erase something, like an original version. Someone almost always has a copy.
    Look what has happened in the past in communist countries. They had samizdat and bootlegs of music and films circulating. It was often an underground movement paving the way for better times.

In Germany we had a few cases where it was an embarrassment at how people decided. This poem on a Berlin college wall has been painted over because it was deemed sexist.
    [​IMG]

There are paintings and books and art in general depicting different periods in time. I think art should be free and something offensive should rather be explained and talked about than be banned.

15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Censoring is when someone else tells you to cut it. Was this scene cut voluntarily?

drivingfrog and lightbulb like this.
  16. Claude

Claude Senior Member

You forget one important aspect: This is a film for children.

The company wants to keep it available for children and is therefore cleaning it up to meet the highest PC standards. In order to avoid any complaint by parents. It's a business move.

When it comes to content for adults, this should not apply, because adults must be able to put things into the historical context.

Nobody will request german films from the Nazi era to be cleaned of their antisemitic messages. But people who watch them should be aware of what they see. You wouldn't let your children watch Nazi propaganda movies for children, to take a most extreme example.

There was a recent debate on such issues concerning the "Tintin au Congo" book:

Tintin in the Congo - Wikipedia

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

"Toy Story 2" is 20 years old and, as far as I know, nobody complained.

The children loved the movie. It made $500M at the box office. It sold tons of copies on VHS and DVD.

The critics loved it.

So, it seems it was an artistic and commercial triumph. Now, "someone" thinks that scene has to be removed.

18. Oh, FFS. :crazy:

Rhett and Karnak like this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Han shot first

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Spot on.

I agree with this scene being removed. Pixar/Disney have looked at it and thought 'You know what, that looks a bit creepy now' and decided to remove it. It's no big deal, it's not the end of western civilization. Just a bit of common sense.

There were a lot of sexist male wankers making films in the 80's and 90's who thought it was ok to get away with that nonsense. Thankfully many now won't get the chance again. In that climate jokes like this were considered funny, cos it was just a bunch of sexist men making these decisions.

Now, I would like to think, that everybody here at least has the good sense to realise some of the things that they did in the past are not acceptable and removing a end credit scene which is a bit icky isn't a big issue. If it wasn't just a throwaway end credit scene but a huge part of the film and a major plot point then I think it would be better to leave it as it was and acknowledge it was a product of its time.

But if people are really getting angry about this then they really need to find something important to focus on instead.

21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

He who controls the past, controls the future; and he who controls the present, controls the past.”

CrazyCatz, PhantomStranger and clhboa like this.
  22. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Han shot.

23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I think there are strong arguments on both sides of this issue. I never lost any sleep over the very brief racist segment that was cut from Fantasia.

Ultimately, these decisions are up to whoever holds the rights, and if these companies want to revise their own product, they have every right to do so, whether we like it or not.

24. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

This 100%.

Seeing as how much we’ve learned about Weinstein throwing his power around and abusing women, and how prevalent that behavior has been throughout the entertainment industry, a little voluntary self-examination by the directors and producers might not be the worst thing to ever happen. I found and watched that blooper scene yesterday - I think in hindsight, as an inside Hollywood joke, it’s rather uncomfortably on the nose.

25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

This kind of crap had been going on for a while. Many cartoon dvd's have been edited to protect the delicate sensibilities of a bunch of crybabies. Didn't Disney edit out Pecos Bill's cigarette a few years back? I believe the dvd's of Tom and Jerry have been edited for PC reasons as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.