The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

I haven’t received an email newsletter from Mosaic since January 2019. Has anyone else? I am wondering if they just have not sent any newsletters since then, or if I may have accidentally unsubscribed.

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It was mentioned that they would go ahead, and that is the reason that they accepted advance orders on our credit cards. My question was whether there is any further information on anticipated release dates.

3. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I still get them every Sunday like clockwork... So perhaps re-subscribe?

fatwad666 likes this.
  4. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Thank you for the information — I've just re-subscribed, so hopefully I receive them again.

munjeet likes this.
  5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Herman’s been pushed back to June. It was supposed to be this month.

Tribute likes this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I received an email on May 8 with updates on the Mobley and Herman boxes.

Here’s the info they gave on the Mobley:

We have completed the transfer and mastering stage of this 8-CD set. Rudy Van Gelder’s original tapes are uniformly superb and Malcolm Addey has done an exquisite mastering job. Hank and company never sounded better. Lee Morgan, who’s on six of the sessions, is at the top of his game throughout. Billy Higgins drives 9 of the 13 sessions with incessant swing.

Bob Blumenthal is almost done with his typically insightful and informative liner notes. I’ve amassed a large amount of excellent Francis Wolff photographs from the actual sessions and am in the painful process of choosing want to include and what to drop because of space.

The design of the set should be complete by early June and we hope to have finished sets by the end of July.

Tribute likes this.
  7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

...and here is the info from the email on the Woody Herman:

The Woody Herman Decca, Mars and MGM Sessions (1943-54) is in full swing and we hope to have it shipped sometime in late June or July. It took us longer to gather all the original source material and spend the time to guarantee perfect transfers and restoration which is currently underway. We think you’ll enjoy the freshness of the music obtained by a great majority of the original lacquer discs and many tape sources in fabulous sound. These sources, from the Universal vaults, have yielded some previously unissued alternate takes as well as undocumented titles.

For those who love the Herman First Herd it is a welcome opportunity to hear this band in its formative stages and then in full blossom at the legendary 1946 Carnegie Hall Concert. It is unlikely that a better source exists of this concert but at least we have the CD release from Verve (produced by the great Ben Young) which had used a cleaner sounding source of discs from Woody’s grandson. Our restoration engineer, Andreas Meyer, is making sure that this concert sounds even better with the technology he currently has at his disposal.

The Third Herd is well represented in the MGM and Mars offerings and hearing them for the first time, all in one set, I think will give us a better appreciation of this period of Herman’s Herds.

Jeff Sultanof has sent in his detailed notes and we have a number of rare photos to share with you as well. Add to this the most up to date, corrected discography and you have another Mosaic set that is essential.

Tribute likes this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

If you're using a hotmail email that may be the reason. Their spam filter has gone to extremes at this point and it's because of that I missed the Mingus set going OOP.

Hopefully by re-joining the list that fixes the problem for you.

fatwad666 likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Live long and prosper, Mosaic!

jlrchrds likes this.
  10. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

Did anyone else see that Mosaic had the Evans In England RSD vinyl last week? I ordered one and am waiting on it. I was curious if they got the same numbered RSD press or if it was a new one? Did anyone else pick one up?

11. Bobby Buckshot

Savoy & Bee Hive sets back on Last Chance:

Mosaic Records - Last Chance on Limited Edtion Sets

Someone must have stumbled onto some lingering inventory...last week it was the Ahmad Jamal set. I've skipped all of these, just not in my wheel house but hope others here get a shot.

fingerpoppin and Pants Party like this.
  12. sgt1372

sgt1372 Active Member

Just ordered these sets from Mosaic on Friday. :)

Not sure how many these had or still have in stock but there was one of each when I called in to check on the available stock.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  13. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

The past couple of days I have been listening to Mosaic's Jazz Crusader's box. I picked this up used a few months ago and just got around to listening. Wow, what a great band. Joe Sample is well known, but Wilton Felder is also a monster on tenor sax. This music is such a great combination of earthy/funky jazz with some of the modern 60's harmonic stuff mixed in.

14. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Great observation and I completely agree. I don’t have the Mosaic box but I love Live at the Lighthouse ‘66.

markp likes this.
  15. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

YES!!!!!

The Jazz Crusader's box is one of the best they assembled in my opinion. I had the flu two winters ago and was a mess for a week. This was the first time I listened to the box, quite honestly I didn't know their music. It went into rotation then and has remained on and off since then. It's just killer... killer. Jeff

16. waaguirr

waaguirr Forum Resident

Did you ever get the Evans set from Mosaic?

timriepe likes this.
  17. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

I did!

waaguirr likes this.
  18. waaguirr

waaguirr Forum Resident

Did you figure out how they ended up with extra copies?

While I’m asking, Any leads for an extra?

19. ilistentoallkinds

ilistentoallkinds Forum Resident

Well, on July 3rd, after far too much procrastinating, and/or allowing myself to be "pulled away" by my near-crazy (well, some would say, but not me, really) number of musical interests other than jazz, I finally ordered the Bee Hive Sessions box (especially after seeing that it has been repressed but is on the Last Chance list!!). I'm greatly looking forward to its arrival! I haven't yet received any notices from Mosaic after my order confirmation e-mail. Checking daily to see if the set's on the way though!

I made a serious decision, with the ordering of this set, that even though I love listening to and buying albums in so many genres of music (including jazz, but definitely not excluded to it!), Mosaic is a truly special and beautiful service to jazz and jazz fans, and I want to do everything that I can to support its continued existence. Also, to be very honest, largely due to my musical eclecticism and free indulging of it with the music that I buy, I have ended up sadly not getting a number of Mosaic sets in the past that I did want, but just kept putting off, wrongly thinking/hoping that they would simply still be in print when I finally decided to put the money down! I do not want to make that mistake ever again, if I can help it!

Therefore, at least for some time going forward, Mosaic is going to getting a good bit more of my money, while my classical, blues, rock, country, and other genre faves, will be getting a good bit less. How I now wish that I had bought many past Mosaic boxes, rather than other musical genre CDs that seemed so appealing at the time, but that I would happily get rid of for those boxes if I could....!! (Hard lessons learned...)

Bee Hive Sessions-- I can't wait! The samples sound so good (at least to my ears)!

ispace and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  20. Bobby Buckshot

Good move! :righton:

I recently got the set when it reappeared on Last Chance again and am currently on disc 3. It's phenomenal. Brignola brings some serious heat with his bari sax right from the get go. Not to mention Roy freakin' Haynes! The other benefit with this set is that none of these LPs have ever existed as CDs. What Mosaic accomplished here is practically a public service, as Bee Hive was a small, independent label that didn't have massive distribution. Enjoy it man! :uhhuh:

ilistentoallkinds likes this.
  21. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I also just ordered the Bee Hive set. It's an interesting story about Bee Hive but the clips really sold it for me. Hope the entire box is up to that standard!

22. ilistentoallkinds

Exactly, man-- one of the things that made me pull the trigger on this box was the realization that if I kept putting it off, I would quite possibly never find these albums on CD in any future reissues. That is actually a scary thought to me as a jazz fan and music fan in general! This is seriously rare (but great, from what I have heard thus far!) stuff, and I do not want to miss out on it!

Also, I had not fully realized, until recently, just how much Mosaic needs to be continually supported by its sadly diminishing customer base. If I can do anything, from this point forward, to keep them in business and releasing new sets, I want to do it. Getting a lot of great music, cool liner notes, and good vintage photos, from my financial support of them, is a wonderful bonus! (Well, it's much more than just a bonus, but I digress!) :winkgrin:

23. ilistentoallkinds

The Savoy Bebop Sessions box set is now OOP. It was going to be my next Mosaic purchase, next month, when I could afford it, given that I just ordered the Bee Hive set this month... sigh.

Once again, this teaches me not to put off buying Mosaic sets for months and months, thinking/hoping that they will still be in print when I decide to finally buy them. Next month, then, it will be the Savory Collection box for me! After that, Louis Armstrong! (May the Satchmo stay in print until September, please!)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Mr. H and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

do a long and patient search in the used market, and you will eventually find all the boxes you want at reasonable prices.

many boxes are offered in brick and mortar stores which do not list on the web

25. ilistentoallkinds

Thanks for the tip. I'll almost certainly have to go the online route for OOP Mosaic boxes, partially for the reason that brick and mortar stores are increasingly hard to find in my area at all.

Are there sites which you can recommend for OOP Mosaic sets which don't have huge mark-ups in price? The online searching that I've been doing, over the last few weeks, has only led me to exorbitant prices that are out of my current range.

On a personal note, one of my major life frustrations, as a music fan (and in other ways), is the fact that I was born with a physical disability which keeps me from being able to drive a car. This makes it almost impossible for me to travel for anything music-related that is not accessible by the bus or subway system in my area. Brick and mortar stores that are outside the service area for the public transportation system here are a virtual no-go for me. In the same vein, for live music shows, unless I have a friend who is willing to drive me and attend them with me, it's very difficult to simply get to and from them. By the time most concerts in the MD/DC area end for the night, the buses back to my apartment, and even the subway, have stopped running. It's a serious bummer for me as a dedicated music fan of so many genres. I literally haven't been to a concert of any kind, outside of classical music performances at my church, in several years, and that is definitely not by choice.

In this vein, if there is anyone in the MD/DC area reading this post who loves to go on music-buying runs to physical stores, and/or who loves to go to concerts, and who would like to make a new friend to go along for such things, please get in touch with me. I'm starving for live music, and I also really miss the experience of hanging out in brick and mortar music stores and finding unexpected cool purchases, and I'd simply like to make a new friend, in-person, who "gets" the music that I love! :) (I don't have many such friends, and I'd love to have more!)