Fritz Lang Metropolis on DVD or Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShockControl, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur! Thread Starter

There are several threads devoted to this masterpiece, but many of them are old and locked.

Can anyone recommend a comprehensive version? I'm looking for the most complete version, including the recently discovered footage. I'm also looking for the original score with the correct placement, based on notes that were recently discovered.

Amazon seems to pool the reviews of every edition, so it's difficult to tell what is what.

Thanks in advance.

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Good question. My copy from Kino says 2002 on the box and claims to be "Restored Authorized Edition".

Amazon's carelessness with listings is very frustrating.

longdist01 and ShockControl like this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

longdist01, Solaris and ShockControl like this.
  5. ShockControl

longdist01 likes this.
  6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The MoC 90th anniversary LE is actually the best and most comprehensive version. OOP now, though.

Metropolis Blu-ray

7. DreadPikathulhu

This one appears to include the Moroder version, which is available separately in the US. Are there any other major differences?

8. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Of course the title is slightly deceptive, as the complete Metropolis has still to surface. The two I own are the Masters Of Cinema restored version, and their steel book limited edition, which includes the Giorgio Moroder version. The Moroder edit has to be one of the most bizarre I have ever seen. Not only is it colourised, but has a soundtrack featuring Freddie Mercury, Cindy Lauper and Adam Ant! Clocks in at 90 minutes too! I have absolutely no idea what he was thinking, or what his intention was.

9. stepeanut

Original German intertitles; more accurate English subtitles; more substantial extras, including a David Kalat audio commentary.

Beaver review, comparing the Kino to an earlier MoC edition:

Metropolis Blu-ray - Fritz Lang

10. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Introducing a German Silent Classic to a new generation.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. DetroitDoomsayer

Except the Moroder version has very little in common with the story Lang was telling.

Original: 153 minutes

2010 "Complete" restoration 148 minutes

Moroder version: 83 minutes

The Moroder version loses nearly half of the film. Pretty strange way to introduce a new generation to a silent classic.

Shawn and johnnyyen like this.
  12. DreadPikathulhu

The Moroder version was the first time I saw Metropolis in 1984, so I do have a special affinity for it even thought it’s really just an extended music video.

It took 25 years of sketchy public domain VHS and slowed-down Japanese Laserdisc releases before we got the “Complete” version from Kino.

13. stepeanut

To put all this into historical perspective, the Wiki entry has this to say about the 1984 Moroder version:

It was the first serious attempt made at restoring Metropolis to Lang's original vision, and until the restorations in 2001 and 2010, it was the most complete version of the film commercially available; the shorter run time was due to the extensive use of subtitles and a faster frame rate than the original.

mBen989 likes this.
  14. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Yes, this is the definitive edition to own. I also own the Kino version and the older MOC ones. The 90th release is top shelf and highly recommended.

longdist01 and stepeanut like this.
  15. stepeanut

Indeed. Hard to find now, though. Only 2,000 copies made, and only available direct from Eureka. It’s a couple of years OOP at this point.

I also own three older Eureka/MoC steelbook editions.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

Hopefully we’ll get something spectacular for the 100th anniversary version in 2027. Though purists might complain, I wouldn’t be opposed to an effort to recreate the remaining missing footage in a style consistent with the rest of the film.

17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I've never seen it except for the odd clip. It was on TCN last week and appears to be the full version (148 minute?). It's on my PVR and I'll be watching this weekend. Looking forward to it.

beccabear67 likes this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Glad to see the Kino released Blu-Ray, and the discovery of the extra footage found in Argentina film vault!

19. ShockControl

OK, now I'm confused. I have ZERO INTEREST in the Moroder version (and I love Moroder).

I'm looking for the FULL-LENGTH (or close to it) version with the ORIGINAL SCORE.

I take it that is the Kino version called "The Complete Metropolis?"

longdist01 likes this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I like the Kino version (it's missing a few Supplements!) I really don't need the big "MOC" Steelbook case version, as cool as it is!

Metropolis Blu-ray - Fritz Lang

A definite Silent Classic from Fritz Lang

21. DetroitDoomsayer

Yes

22. ShockControl

Thanks for looking out for me!

DetroitDoomsayer and longdist01 like this.
  23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

TCM aired the 2010 restoration, which is also the Complete DVD on Kino. There's always the possibility of finding better quality film for some of it however remote, but there was a time I never expected to see what is now pretty much the entire film properly, and it really is a masterpiece! Now we can only imagine London After Midnight turning up. :sigh:

24. DetroitDoomsayer

There's no need to spend an arm and a leg on the out of print Eureka/MOC (region locked) blu ray.

The Kino and the MOC share the same restoration source.
    The only difference are the inter-title cards.
    The Kino has them in English, the MOC has the original German titles, but since inter-titles would have been
    changed for release in different countries when the film was originally released, I see no real need for insisting there be
    German only titles.

25. stepeanut

The regular MoC edition is still available at £12.99, with free shipping worldwide, and it is superior to the Kino in several ways, as already mentioned earlier in the thread.

Metropolis | Eureka

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.