Music Hall or Rega TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alan Beasley, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan Beasley

Alan Beasley Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve narrowed down my search for a new turntable to these.
    There are a couple of a demo tables, a Music Hall 7.1 with a Mojo cartridge and Ikura with a 2m Blue. Also looking at the Planar 3 with a Elys 2.
    For 1149.00 the 7.1 seems like it is the best deal. What are the pros and cons of each. Any other tables in this price range I should consider.

2. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Based on reviews and value, I'd go withe the 7.1 if I was going in blind. But at that price point I'd want to consider the MoFi StudioDeck and PLX-1000 as well. Several options at this price point now.

Alan Beasley, H8SLKC and punkmusick like this.
  3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’ve been very happy with my Music Hall MMF-7 table for many years. After having a 7.1 arm on last year I’m even happier.

Alan Beasley and displayname like this.
  4. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

My big issue with Rega arms is no adjustment for azimuth, which is critical for higher end carts.......You have to use shims, not good IMO. I have been more than happy with my mmf-7.1 for several yrs. I added the 9cc arm and a cruise control 2.0, can't beat the table at that price point.

5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Music Hall here. Very adjustable and reliable IMO.

6. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Curious, which method do you use to adjust the azimuth? The 9cc has a screw back in the arm pivot area, right?

displayname likes this.
  7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Yes, has a small screw right behind the counter weight on the arm so you can twist the arm tube.....Using either an O-scope or my Foz meter I have azimuth set pretty much perfect.

Slippers-on and Davey like this.
  8. Alan Beasley

Well the Music Hall 7.1 demo is gone but the they have a new 7.3 with an Ortofon 2M Bronze. The table and arm seems very good but I’m not sure about the cart. Seeing some mixed reviews on it. Anyone had a listen to one?

9. Alan Beasley

Thanks I’ll check out the MoFi. That’s one I hadn’t considered.

displayname likes this.
  10. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Went through all of this last year OP...comparing every tt and between the two, personally(just an opinion dude) based on my research, I would go with the MH.

11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

2M Bronze is a nice cart. Detailed and smooth.

12. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Some people really like the Bronze, and some aren't as keen on it. If you're buying new from a dealer you should be able to audition it and decide for yourself.

But one thing to remember is the situation. Maybe some of the people that didn't love the Bronze might have loved it more for $200, which is all that it costs when bundled with the 7.3. So does everyone love the Bronze at $440? Would a good number of those that don't like it enjoy it more for $200? Possibly. And if we really want to get creative here - you could buy it, take that Bronze off before you ever even use it, and probably sell it for well over the $200 up charge for the package, and then use that money on something that is more to your liking. You could also just sell the Bronze stylus unused and use that to fund a 2M Black stylus if that's more your style. Or you could just ask your dealer about other cartridge pairings. They can probably advise you better based on your system and preferences.

Alan Beasley likes this.
  13. Alan Beasley

Displayname makes some good points about the Bronze. I’ve kicked this around long enough and I’m going with the Music Hall 7.3 and Bronze cartridge.

I’d like to say we are all fourtnate to have a forum like this where we can share ideas and opinions. Reading thru the threads I am in awe (and a little imtemidated) at all the knowledge in this forum. I plan to keep listening and learning and hopefully have something to share in in the future. Thanks to all.

14. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I applaud your comment here because it is an amazing world we live in now, where you can ask like-minded people what they think about "fill in the blank" and specifically because people are so giving to help others.
    I am like you where, I am just learning.
    Sites like this are simply mint!

Alan Beasley likes this.
  15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Nice comments. Can you provide any update? How are you liking the MH TT and cart?

16. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Go with the Rega. Rega has a consistent design philosophy that they continued to refine over the years. While the Music Hall tables look nice, I don't really know what their designs are trying to accomplish.

17. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I think this thread was started over a year ago. Although it's relevant to me, as I'm considering the MH7.3, and a Rega P6 (which is about $600 more). What are you specifically addressing with it comes to MH's designs? Is there something flawed, or just a look you don't like as well? Trying to learn more myself.

18. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Id like to know what he means as well? The 7.3 is an upgrade in design from the 7.1

19. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

What I meant is that Rega's designs are trying to get more light and rigid as they evolve. With each generation, their tables are getting lighter and more rigid, like the new P8 and most likely P10. With Music Hall, what design are they trying to achieve? Is is a heavy mass table? Is it stacking light, rigid plinths on top of one another, essentially making it a heavy mass table? I just don't know what their designs are hoping to accomplish. Doesn't mean they sound bad, but from a design and engineering perspective, it's tough to tell what they're doing.

Fruff76 likes this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Certainly the OP got himself a nice table with the 7.3 and the cartridge, a Bronze. The Planar 6 is indeed the one to listen to when comparing to the 7.3 package. You can get the table by itself and install or have your dealer install a bronze cartridge if you like that as an option. The Rega Exact is very good also. I prefer the ergonomics and neutrality of the Rega deck, but the 7.3 has a very warm and quiet delivery, making it a pleasure to listen to as well.

-Bill

21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They are adding mass and damping as the line progresses. Also a better tonearm from one model to another in some cases. They are limited a bit to what the designer and factory have as options there to keep it tightly within budget, but they have been able to get some custom options implemented as well. The result of all of that mass and damping is a quiet but darker sounding table than some others. Rega on the other hand does everything in house, design and production, so they can be more focused on a specific path than a co-op such as MH has. Both are nice decks; they just have different sounds and ergonomics.
    -Bill

Dan Steele, IRG and Slippers-on like this.
  22. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Thanks Bill, you always provide good context. I posted because I’ll be in the market soon and comparing the Rega P3 and MH 5.3, but I’ll start my own thread.

23. Alan Beasley

I’m still enjoying both the deck and cart. I’ve kicked around the idea of upgrading to a Black stylus but it would really be to try something different. I’m happy with both and think at their price they are a good combo.

displayname and Dan Steele like this.
  24. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I was wondering the same thing

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For that price, PLX 1000 isn't an option. Get a Technics SL-1200 Mk 7 instead. Which is better built, more precision everything, costs very little more cash, will outlast the Pioneer. And outperform it. And is the real thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.