Spider-Man: Far From Home

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Note the number of the book!

[​IMG]

Now, his 1st ever appearance was here:

[​IMG]

Silly, I know, but the comic nerd in me felt challenged!;)

Chrome_Head and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

It reminds me of Batman's first appearance:

[​IMG]

Vidiot and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

That's what I was referring to, yes. (Isn't that the "first Spider-man comic" then...?)

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

MORE "Far From Home" praise!

5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Never really noticed the similarity in these first appearance covers before. Would be very awesome if some killer comic artist mashed up these two covers together on one jam cover. Could make for a nice commission if I had money to throw at something like that.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Disappointed with Far From Home thought it would be better. 6.5/10.

7. Chrome_Head

What did you not like about it?

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I do have a question as I didn’t see the first one “Homecoming”.

Why was Aunt May so retro (hair, jeans, etc) looking? Is that just her deal or did it have to do with something else?

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

She lost five years because of "the snap" and upon her return was surprised to find Dress Barn had gone out of business.

10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I think that's just fashion now. I've seen the hair, the glasses and the jeans at the fancy mall in town.

11. Chrome_Head

I for one think it's Sony or Marvel trying to make Marisa Tomei more "hipster dowdy" to play down how attractive she is.

Apparently Tomei took the part without knowing how elderly Aunt May is supposed to actually be.

MPLRecords, Vidiot and GodShifter like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Couldn’t find anything redeeming about the film. Actually quite like Tom Holland in The Avengers. Guess if I was 12 years I’d find it amusing. Felt also Jake Gyllenhaal deserved better.

13. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The film annoyed me a little..
    Peter is pretty stupid. I know he's a teenager, but giving a multi billion dollar defense system to someone so you can focus on flirting with a girl was STUPID. Just really STUPID. Didn't' ask Happy. Didn't ask "Fury." Didn't ask Aunt May.

MPLRecords, thegage and Vidiot like this.
  14. Chrome_Head

I actually kind of liked how they had Peter not really wanting to save the world again, not really wanting to "live up to Tony Stark"--he wants to go on vacation, he wants to be a teen and chase girls. Kid just got turned to dust and resurrected, fought the mad titan Thanos, and travelled out into space and back. I thought his wariness was believable and real.

Also, Peter being a perennially "green" as a hero and making big mistakes is something that seems baked into the character at this point.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    BeatleJWOL and GodShifter like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think the pedantic view is that Spidey debuted in a mag that wasn't "Amazing Spider-Man" - and also wasn't even that mag's first issue.

Of course, many of the Golden Age characters debuted in non-titular mags: Batman in "Detective", Superman in "Action", Wonder Woman in "All-Star Comics", etc.

It was less common in the Silver Age, which makes Spidey an anomaly.

Anyway, I think the idea is that "ASM" #1 was the "first Spider-Man comic"!

GodShifter and Chazro like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Anyone named “Happy” should not be consulted.

Ever.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

......except......
    [​IMG]

Chrome_Head and GodShifter like this.
  18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I thought the movie was okay, but could have been better with a better villain. Mysterio looked cool, but his whole storyline was pretty boring.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oatsdad and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I enjoyed the film ! good twists ! only problem I am finding about it is the "young" actors are all in their 20s! they might need to go forward another 5 years as you can see they are not teenagers.

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

That's okay, I'm ready for Spidey to be out of high school anyway. The romcom shenanigans and really bad secretkeeping is a little stale at this point.

Other than that I adored this movie.
    Mysterio letting his illusions run full force over Spiderman is some of the most comic-booky stuff I've seen in one of these movies since the "center spread" moment in Age Of Ultron. Amazing stuff. Had the best sound in the film, too.

MPLRecords and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. Chrome_Head

It really was an impressive segment. Also up there with some of the trippier, more psychedelic moments found in the Ant Man films and Dr. Strange.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

At least Holland was a teen when he first played Spidey in 2016's "Civil War". He turned 20 that year, and he hit 23 just before "FFH" premiered.

Not the 17-year-old of the movie, but closer than Tobey Maguire, who was 26 when he shot 2002's movie, or Andrew Garfield, who was 28 when he first played the part!

dkmonroe and Chrome_Head like this.
  24. Chrome_Head

Yeah, I rewatched the Raimi trilogy recently, and they just about pull off passing off the mid-twenties cast as teens in the first film. But it wasn't particularly convincing at all to me in the ASM movies.

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Twentysomethings have been playing high schoolers in movies since forever. The MCU Spider-Man cast are far from the oldest looking movie “teenagers” out there.

dkmonroe and Simon A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.