CD's Gone By 2020?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fannymac, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

That sounds pretty appealing until you realize that one day not too far off you'll be one of those baby boomers. :) :(

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I don’t think they have to die, they just have to switch to streaming, which clearly many are doing, as, between eBay and local thrift and record stores, there are more dirt cheap used CDs floating around than I have room for in my house. Money isn’t the issue for me collecting CDs any more, it’s more like “do I have room to store these CDs that other people are basically giving away?”.

3. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

I have reconciled myself to that fact. I'm just trying to enjoy my music until that day arrives, which includes buying a few cds now and then.

You're right. I've already got enough music to keep me occupied till my time's up, but I can't help buying more from time to time.

4. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I will not be able to contain my glee when this occurs, and I plan to retire on the money I will be charging suckers for burned CDRs of all the music they can no longer access

DRM and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

So when they disappear from my shelves, and I'll have room for more of my books.

Wait, what's that? Books are going to disappear, too?

Dang. I don't know what I'll do with all of that extra space.

DRM likes this.
  6. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Your house can finally look like an Apple store, and be identical to everyone else's. That's progress, baby!

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Definitely agree that some transparency is in order, for stuff like that.

I'd equate it to buying an aftermarket OEM part for something, versus a part made by the actual company that created the original widget. Just want to know up-front what I'm getting.

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I think I'm going to either be dead, or in a nursing home fiddling with the USB port in my skull, when this happens.

ARK likes this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's my current first world problem.

Spencer R likes this.
  10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Wish I could find all these second-hand CD’s being virtually given away, because there are a number of deleted titles I’m searching for that are currently commanding huge prices!

11. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

When I picked up a collection of over 100 CDs at a total of five euros last week, I really thought about this on the way home. Is it that the couple who gave them away simply grew tired of them? Does music lose its value for society? Or is it just that no one cares for CDs anymore? Even my local record store sells the CDs cheaper and cheaper. It's cool for me, but overall I think it's sad how little value music seems to have for many people this day and age... :sigh:

Markyp, pwhytey, RockRoom and 3 others like this.
  12. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

With all due respect, this is extremely naive. Amazon, along with the rest of big tech, do not sell things - they advance corporate plans. Their main objective is to lure people into their 'ecosystem' and keep them there in captivity. They want you to be dependent on them and have no viable alternatives. They don't care if they lose CD sales today when in the future you'll be forced to keep paying them a monthly fee until you die. Like Facebook and the rest of social media already do, they'll strictly dictate what people can do, express, feel or think, and ruthlessly suppress dissent. Amazon bans book that don't conform with their SJW orthodoxy and it's like they never existed. They couldn't care less about the lost sales of those titles. They're predators, and they're utterly without shame or decency. The CD is an unrestricted format that can be freely sold, bought, exchanged and used in complete privacy without being surveyed, tracked or spied on - that's why they hate it, and why we should all support it.

13. Hab

Hab Forum Resident

Has anyone noticed the price of NEW releases on CD at Amazon? Quite fancied the new Abbath album on CD but its £18 and change, it's like they're pricing them high to put people off buying them.

14. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I take it you didn't buy your tinfoil hat on Amazon then?

15. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

pwhytey likes this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I think my next order at Amazon will be a tin foil hat for you.

ARK and Davmoco like this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Damn it, you beat me to it!

ARK likes this.
  18. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

It's nice to meet the innocent someone who in 2019 still believes they aren't being censored or spied up their ass by big tech (or for that matter, who doesn't understand network economics). Too many links to post.

Big tech's business is one: control.

19. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Consumers have spoken. CD sales have declined sharply. CD sales are down to numbers that equate to 1986 sales. 1986!!!!!

Essentially streaming has replaced the CD as the digital format of choice.

I have over 1200 LPs and about 1000 cd’s and I’m buying pretty much all vinyl these days. I’ll buy the occasional CD if vinyl is unavailable. For example my last CD purchases were the Coal Men catalog (great band btw) on CD but like I said only because vinyl doesn’t exist.

Like I said previously I can see a day when record companies halt the manufacturing of CD’s all together. However, just like the LP’s demise back in the day there will always be a used CD market for those enthusiasts that prefer the format.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    pwhytey likes this.
  20. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

It may seem like that, but more likely they’re priced to maximise profits. I expect they’ll be delighted if people pay those prices

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They have changed the process if they are counting units shipped, not sold. But I wouldn’t know either way these days. Things were so ridiculously over stated when it was going by units shipped that they went away from that. Mom and pop stores sell a lot of the vinyl out there and I don’t know how SoundScan can be tracking that when most of them don’t report numbers, nor do they want to. I owned a store and I certainly would not have wanted someone on the outside to know what was being sold. I understand Amazon does not report to them either and I buy an awful lot of vinyl from them. Hard to believe on line sellers are reporting to them. But who knows...you could be 100% correct now.

22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You really spent $300 for "Don't Look Now" plus eight songs that are nowhere near as good as "Don't Look Now"? Wow.

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

[​IMG]

anorak2 likes this.
  24. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I feel like you can have the best of both worlds regarding physical and streaming. I have liked streaming since 2011 when Spotify came to the US, but I also love adding music to my collection, though streaming has actually made me a little more picky on what I buy. The whole "I only have (xxx) space on the shelf, do you really want this album, John?" mentality, but I still buy add stuff every week

Spencer R likes this.
  25. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

No, I didn't. I paid $300 for all of the classics, including awesome covers of White Night, Can't Find My Way Home, as well as amazing originals like Don't Look Now, Microdot Daylight and Nails In The Cross. No regrets and very happy to finally have it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.