Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

But you do. Don't sell yourself short. You purchased the best sounding system within your budget. You are an audiophile by definition. And you can get a good system for $1600 USD.

2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

i guess. also its nice to see another Canadian!

3. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

a something different Something
    got it
    I wonder how different

drum_cas likes this.
  4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

There’s a bonus Betamax? I knew it was worth holding onto. :D

longdist01, dsdu and Bern like this.
  5. Bern

Bern JC4Me

30 of them!!

longdist01 likes this.
  6. john morris

If this software was flawless it would be used on every thing all the time. And anyone here who thinks it can just easily separate instruments in snap without any audio repercussions is welcome to come down to the Seven Nations Studio in Toronto (really in New Market) and hear for yourselves the damage that Spectral Isolation software can do. I have been working on an album done on Ampex half inch 3 track. And the client wanted the snare drums and bass louder. One problem:

Track 1 - band: bass, drums, two 12 string acoustic guitars, banjo, piano, organ, lead electric guitar.

Track 2 - lead vocal, 6 part harmony background vocals, finger snaps, hand clapping, tambourine.
    Harmonica Solo. (All vocals stop during the solo part)

Track 3 - Strings and 8 piece horn section.

jmxw and Beatle Ed like this.
  7. Exotiki

side note: put tube amp on list of items i want but will most likely never get. i tried a really nice Foobar Tube amp DSP and I love it. Then I looked at the upkeep and price. Yikes.

8. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

That’s quite a pickle! Is this an older track being remixed or are you recording someone with 3-track in 2019?!?

john morris likes this.
  9. Exotiki

I wonder if anyone would in the modern era make a song on either analog or digital 4 track. Sounds like a fun challenge

10. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

Not worth it. IMO. Tubes great for guitar amps.. Terrible for audio.

planckera likes this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I had it in the back of my mind when i asked if it was Something with the long coda that was edited away late in the songs development (and perhaps still including Johns full piano part).

But as a also said, one alternate take per song plus some breakdown takes. No need for more than two cds. One for the remix and one for the outtakes.

12. Deacon Blues

It's probably when George is working out the "Mr. Show" and "missed a show" outtake with John

13. Exotiki

I like the tube sound but yikes, the lowest, bottom of the barrel starts at 80$+. You need to spend well over 500 to get anything worth while

14. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Just jumping on this thread to simply say I love what we've gotten so far on Sgt. Pepper and White Album. So looking forward to this as I can only assume it will follow in spirit; at least I hope so.

Peace,

Zafu

15. Exotiki

CD or Vinyl?

16. Deacon Blues

+1 vinyl. And then hires of course for studying

17. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

But...both are audio media. Why is one great for amplifying a signal and one not? If it’s the cost of upkeep, why bother with tubes at all?

18. Exotiki

ill just quietly stick with my tube DSP/Reverb DSP

Deacon Blues likes this.
  19. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

CD

I'd prefer vinyl, but haven't taken the leap back yet. I'm concerned about expense, that-is having another format to buy, however sometime in the next 12-months I hope to replace my living room screen with a larger one and mount it on the wall freeing space below for a turn-table. I still have all my albums from growing up and some extremely cool ones my dad had. I'm 65, and even with the scratches it would be a trip to hear the wealth of recordings I have on Vinyl and bask in the richness and purity of analogue again.

Zafu

20. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

21. Ants

Ants Forum Resident

I hope the Come Together outtake is not the same that was on Anthology 3... :kilroy:

plentyofjamjars67, gmcjj and marklamb like this.
  22. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

23. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

2019 Mix. I think they just shorten it instead of calling it a “remix” because remix could mean a couple of different things.

Monasmee likes this.
  24. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

2019 Mix sounds like it will be viewed someday as a vintage blend, before it’s even released. ;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Octavian and DRM like this.
  25. john morris

Yes, Rush's new album (I thought they retired!)
    Is live to three track: bass and vocals on 1, guitar and keyboards on 2 and drums on 3.
    Oh good God no!

Putting fun a joke aside.....

Remixing a country album from 1959. The Spectral Isolation software was a necessary evil.
    It has helped. But if I digged in with it and tried to separate everything (assuming it's possible) the sound quality would suffer. SIS is not the magic bullet some members on here think it is.
    If it was perfect any engineer could take Bill Haley and His Comets, Rock Around The clock and end up with 16 tracks. You just don't press a button and Zooma- Bang- Doo- Be -Ding- Dong Nash- Ville -Vanilla and the mono Great Balls Of Fire automatically spits into:
    Kick
    Snare
    Toms
    Cymbals
    Bass
    Guitar
    Piano
    Vocals
    Doesn't work that way. I WISH!! But no.

But this 3 track has a become a royal pain in my Quadrone backside.

autumn daze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.