Big artists with a 'sell-out' disco hit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Diana Ross - Love Hangover

ARK likes this.
  2. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross - My Mistake

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Eagles-One Of These Nights
    Dr. Hook-When You’re In Love With A Beautiful Woman
    Dr. Hook-Sexy Eyes
    Pure Prairie League-I Can’t Hold Back
    David Bowie-Fame
    Little River Band-Help Is On The Way

ispace and BrutandCharisma like this.
  4. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Ooh...never thought about that one. John Densmore was definitely in the territory for the Beat!

So was Aretha and Roger Hawkins sometime in 1967.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  5. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

There was backlash at the time.

"At the time, Blondie was one of the bands at the forefront of New York's growing new wave music scene and were accused of "selling out" for releasing a disco song. According to Harry, "Heart of Glass" made the band pariahs in the eyes of many of their fellow musicians in the New York music scene. The band was accused of pandering to the mainstream that many punk/new wave bands at the time were actively rebelling against. She also said, "People got nervous and angry about us bringing different influences into rock. Although we'd covered 'Lady Marmalade' and 'I Feel Love' at gigs, lots of people were mad at us for 'going disco' with 'Heart of Glass'... Clem Burke, our drummer, refused to play the song live at first. When it became a hit, he said: 'I guess I'll have to.'"

frightwigwam, pudgym, Moshe and 4 others like this.
  6. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

This thread has gone absolutely insane! The topic was "Disco", not songs aging rockers like to dance to.

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They started doing Dancing In The Streets in the mid 60s when it was a pretty current song. They were into the R&B sounds of the day before they even got a record deal.

Matthew Tate and pudgym like this.
  8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

One of These Nights is disco?

:waiting:

9. jon9091

What would you call it?

From Wiki...
    The writing was influenced by R&B music and disco; according to Frey, he was listening to Spinners and Al Green records when he started writing the song. Frey started the writing process by composing the music, and Henley then started with the lyrics.[2] Frey said: "I just went over to the piano and I started playing this little minor descending progression, and he comes over and goes, 'One of these nights'."[4] After that, Frey said: "What usually happens is when we get the thing fused together, he gets involved in the music and I get involved in the lyrics."[2] While they were recording the album in Miami, the band also shared a studio with the Bee Gees, and according to Henley, the "four-on-the-floor" bass-drum pattern is a nod to disco.[5]

McLover and Grant like this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You said it.

When Donna Summer, you know...the Queen of Disco...is listed as a disco sell-out, the thread has died.

11. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

I'll take a stab at this. The Allman Brothers from their 1981 release Brothers of The Road had a single called Straight From The Heart. It was rumored that Gregg Allman truly disliked the song, and pegged it as their disco song. David Goldflies, then bassist for the band put it this way, “There were a lot of forces at work: the label, management, the people in the band and their own desire to have a hit,” says Rook Goldflies, then the ABB bassist. “Looking back, that obviously wasn’t the best thing to do. The band was kind of countercultural the whole time, and attempting to become cultural was a little death, but they got swept up in the prevailing moods.” As I recall the band went on an eight year hiatus after this. Despite this the song did go Billboard top 40.

Spotified History of The Allman Brothers. Accessed July 11, 2019. Untitled Document .

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Well, not disco! Oh my goodness!

What disco comp ever included that song? It’s got a good beat, but we never heard it in the disco clubs...ever!

ARK, Fusionfan and Mai Tem Baht like this.
  13. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Nothing wrong with a little negativity. It’s a valid emotion.

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It’s got a good beat, but disco wasn’t around in 1981, anymore.

That song does have a good beat, sure...

15. jon9091

Eagles Fly High With Disco 'Night'

“The discos are back,” Henley affirmed. “Look at the Bee Gees’ ‘Jive Talkin’,’ a good dance record. We heard ours being played in a club in New York.”

“I heard it coming out of a disco in Rotterdam,” the globe-trotting Frey interjected, “and in Miami it was being played in a club we walked past.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Calling all but three of these "hits" would be a bit of a stretch, I'd say...

17. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Yup. Henley and Frey were quoted as describing OOTN as a disco song at its core. Listen a few a times and it makes sense.

18. LondonViking

LondonViking Forum Resident

Run Like Hell - Pink Floyd? Please note the question mark as I am not sure :). I realize it is a stretch, but fun topic.

lightbulb likes this.
  19. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Wasn't even a single much less a hit, but James Taylor did cover "Woman's Gotta Have It." There was a slight disco feel to his remake of "Day Tripper" too.

20. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I think Another One Bites the Dust is more of a funk-rock thing than a disco thing.

MikeVielhaber, Moshe, zither and 7 others like this.
  21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I remember I disliked Foghat's Fool For The City when released because it had disco elements which I thought was pandering. Later I got past that.

22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Good Lord this thread. So full of misinformation, miscategorization, and misunderstanding.

Like everything else wrong in the world these days, there is a severe lack of education/knowledge of history at the root of this abomination.

I saw it coming a mile away.

23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Buuuuutttttt....it’s not.

It’s like saying Sly Stone music from the early 70s was disco. It’s got a fine beat, it’s dance music, but Sly wasn't disco.

One of These Nights was not a disco song. It defies logic to think so.

But I’ve had my logic defied many times, so...

ARK, Fusionfan, Mai Tem Baht and 3 others like this.
  24. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Back in the day, we thought it had a disco beat. The whole chorus sounds disco-y.

We also called out Jackson Browne for some disco influenced beats on The Pretender. They are there.

thematinggame likes this.
  25. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Some people would think "Coming Up" & "Silly Love Songs" would fit this as well.

frightwigwam, DTK and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.