Pro-Ject 9 tonearm VTA adjustment?!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TongueDruid, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry Thread Starter

Hey there,
    I have a Music Hall MMF5.1-se turntable with its stock Pro-Ject tonearm. Just got a new cartridge and have to adjust the VTA to accommodate. After scouring online boards (and downloading all of the MH & Pro-Ject manuals) I've found that it is the discontinued Pro-Ject 9 tonearm (not the 9c or 9cc.) There are two 3mm allen key screws near the rear of the base of the tonearm to do this, but they lay BELOW the horizon of the tt plinth! There's no room to fit an allen key in there! (see pics)
    I resorted to just adding another slipmat, but even tho the VTA is now properly placed (and VTF as well) it rakes across the lead-in grooves something fierce! It'd be nice to be able to correct the VTA the proper way, I assume that would just solve the problem properly... Any tips?!

Thanks for any help!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Use a ball end allen wrench.
    [​IMG]

4. TongueDruid

Nice!!! Thanx for the tip, just grabbed a ball-end set. Friggin screw feels like it's glued in there! I'm afraid to wrench it too hard :sweating:Try some more tmrw...
    I'll order that Stubby too!

5. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Glad you found a solution. While you're looking to make your audio world a better place, I recommend you visit your local artists' supply store and buy yourself a big old soft paintbrush with natural bristles. Tonearms shouldn't be that dusty, brother!
    :) DD

TongueDruid likes this.
  6. TongueDruid

Hahaha I know! I was mortified when that pic turned up. :laugh: Damn camera flash magnifies all the warts... Looks minty fresh in person!

Daddy Dom likes this.
  7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Or a can of air.

TongueDruid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.