TV shows that have not been shown on TV in a long time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 8, 2019.

1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

A Philly boy!

2. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

"Tie a can to it, Ruthie!"

3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This has run recently on MeTV.

Fastnbulbous and McLover like this.
  4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Been running regularly on ME TV for a couple of years now.

5. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I so long to see THE NAME OF THE GAME back on TV - we have not had the show here in the UK since circa 1974 !

a US Cable channel COZI TV screened 30 or so episodes a few years back but in general the Universal show that ran for three seasons over 1968-71 with 76 episodes and a 1966 TV Movie pilot 'Fame is The Name of The Game' has been forgotten it seems

A lavish production of 70 minute color episodes alternately starring
    Gene Barry / Tony Franciosa / Robert Stack - the show also introduced Susan Saint James as research girl Peggy Maxwell who featured as support to all three leading stars

Ben Murphy appeared in some Robert Stack episodes as his sidekick reporter

Gene Barry - portrayed wealthy millionaire playboy publisher the fair minded determined Glenn Howard of Howard Publications (Universal's own 'Black Tower' building) - his episodes were big business or political intrigue tales with some off beat episodes such as 'Love in at Ground Zero' and the ecology themed Sci Fi fantasy 'LA 2017' directed by a young Steven Speilberg re a nightmare future Earth devastated by pollution..

Boris Karloff gave his final acting performance in 'The White Birch' Gene Barry episode

Tony Franciosa - was star reporter Jeff Dillon of Howard's 'People' magazine some eight years before the actual mag of that name appeared - Dillon a stylish sort of 'Columbo' like reporter who doggedly hounded his targets investigated current affairs tales re bogus Doctors, corrupt officials, Hollywood scandals, reclusive millionaire with a missing wife, strange goings on in a Military training camp, Industrial esponage, racial tensions,

Orson Welles narrated 'The Enemy Before Us' where Tony Franciosa's Jeff Dillon returns to his native New York to find so much has changed..

Robert Stack - appeared as Ex-F.B.I. man Dan Farrell who brought his 'Untouchable' resolute style to crime reporting as editor of Howard's CRIME magazine waging a war on crime such as rural state prisons using illegal immigrants as slave labor, corruption in sport, a spree killer, organised crime in unions, drug smuggling, illegal arms shipments, brainwashing religious cults, corruption in the music business, and trying to save a overwhelmingly seen as guilty but innocent woman from the gas chamber...

'The Savage Eye' Robert Stack episode featured the only TV appearance of brothers Pete Duel and Geoff Deuel together

in addition Darren McGavin, Peter Falk, Robert Culp (2 episodes), Robert Wagner, Vera Miles and Suzanne Pleshette took special guest lead roles as other reporters working with or for publisher Glenn Howard in 'one off' episodes

Many top international guest stars featured in the show which featured production work by Leslie Stevens, Dean Hargrove, Gene L.Coon, George Eckstein and a young Steven Bochco

the show seems to have various 'issues' re musical clearances, differing formats etc which has prevented any DVD releases and has long been absent from TV screens - it was the forerunner of Columbo, Banacek, McCloud etc - Susan Saint James won her starring role in 'McMillan and Wife' after her award winning supporting role in 'The Name of The Game'

'The Name of The Game' deserves a long overdue TV rerun...and a DVD release too !

Tony Franciosa in 'Fear of High Places' - 1968

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    fr in sc and Linus like this.
  6. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

The Name of The Game

Gene Barry in 'LA 2017' -1971

directed by Steven Spielberg

7. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

The Name of The Game

Robert Stack in 'Swingers Only' - 1968

8. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Born in Philadelphia!

9. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Medical Center-haven't seen that one in about 20 years.
    Finder Of Lost Loves-an ABC Saturday night show after Love Boat-may not have had enough episodes for syndication.
    Apple's Way- Saw that on one of the rural channels about 10 years ago, but not since.

10. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    He was on some TV commercial here in the UK for the Halifax Building Society. I can only guess the regular TV work has dried up for him and the gang now...

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Top Cat was my favorite when I was a youngster...

fr in sc likes this.
  12. Family (1976)

g.z. likes this.
  13. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

"Guestward Ho!" - Joanne Dru & J. Carrol Naish

14. HGN2001

Saw this on one of the retro channels recently - maybe DECADES.

15. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

I personally havent seen Dick Van Dyke on in a VERY long time

16. HGN2001

Dick Van Dyke airs Sundays at 11 PM on MeTV.

It's also showing on the streaming service Pluto TV on one of their classic channels.

MikaelaArsenault and jason88cubs like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It was remastered in HD by Universal Digital Video Services, but it's a good question when and where those remasters will be used.

McLover, JohnBeas and Michael like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

don't worry Shout will release the HD masters on SD DVD at Bluray prices! yeah! LOL.

19. I don't have any of the retro channels. :shrug:

20. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Uncut, the episodes actually run 76 minutes.

21. Linus

Linus Senior Member

It’s A Living (1980-89).
    This half-hour comedy centered on a group of waitresses working at a first class restaurant. A stern female supervisor and a young male piano player are also added into the mix.

Nanny And The Professor -
    Juliet Mills and Richard Long

Which reminds me - The Big Valley, haven’t seen that in nearly 50 years.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  22. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

BTW, you can find the first season of the John Larroquette Show on YouTube. It's copied from video of course and the quality gets bad sometimes though the uploader is working on cleaning up episodes, but it's the season we all want. Shhh...don't tell anyone.

Dan C and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you, and I will make sure to check it out.

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, Jose Feliciano sang the TV theme on the show. But Sammy Davis Jr did the 45 single of the theme song and released it on 20th Century Fox Records (TC 2160). I own this version. And yes, RCA Victor did release the official theme music by Jose Feliciano on 45 (PB 10145) but their release was 2 months later. That 45 I'd love to find a nice copy of. RCA let him go two singles later.