The Beatles - "Help!" Super Deluxe Edition: What Can We Expect?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paul62, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought I'd start this thread (so these matters could be discussed!) 2025 would sound about right for a release of a Super Deluxe Edition of the material from this period for The Beatles. What can we expect? Tracks in a "bare bones" instrumental state? "Yes It Is" in a cappella mode, maybe? The mono single for "Help!" demixed/remixed into stereo? A complete and different take of "That Means A Lot" that hasn't been heard outside of Abbey Road before? Should Ken Thorne's complete film soundtrack music be included?

tug_of_war and cwitt1980 like this.
  2. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I assume "Ticket To Ride" will still be on it.

Well... I hope.

3. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Hopefully some tasteful remixes, splitting the double-tracked vocals a la early Beach Boys stereo mixes, Yesterday mixed more like the mono version (drier vocals), some decent outtakes like Wait, That Means A Lot.

paul62 likes this.
  4. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

I can’t tell if this thread is real, but your post made me think. I actually find split vocals distracting because they’re so unrealistic for non-psychedelic songs. I think remixing the multis along the lines of the tracks on 1+ would be better—bringing up the instruments and doing some slight pans of the vocals but leaving them basically centered.

I suspect that the 1964 albums will have some demising done.

paul62 likes this.
  5. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I disagree. There isn’t really a good way to mix them otherwise, and the proof is in your comment. The mixes on 1+ do separate the vocals.

I Feel Fine
    Paperback Writer
    Can’t Buy Me Love

were all done just like that.

Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out have a vocal centered and to the hard right, which is much weirder I think.

paul62 likes this.
  6. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The current excellent surround mix replaced by an abomination.

douglas mcclenaghan and paul62 like this.
  7. paul62

Not a joke: I set the thread up with serious intent!
    It would be cool to get some outtakes of "Bad Boy" and "Dizzy, Miss Lizzy" (comma included as per the original Larry Williams single).

Comaboy, cwitt1980 and MitchLT like this.
  8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I can only look as far ahead as the upcoming Let It Be. I'm fairly optimistic I'll still be around for that one at least :D

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I hope y'all have seen the recent remastering of the movie itself. They did an extraordinary job. And the film is a hoot if you haven't seen it. A spoof on James Bond type films.

Comaboy and paul62 like this.
  10. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I hear Peter Jackson is making a whole new film from dozens of hours of unused footage of Small Nude Paul.

[​IMG]

11. paul62

"The Night Before" done live at the BBC could be a cool inclusion.

Comaboy, willwin and ajsmith like this.
  12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

13. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Get a complete single version of that means a lot that doesn’t sound like anthology. They took a simple pop tune and wall of sounded it.

BeatleBruceMayer likes this.
  14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

15. paul62

John said in "Lennon Remembers" that "Ticket To Ride" was a heavy track and that if he was given the eight track (transcribed wrongly by Jann Wenner as "A track"!) he could mix it to bring out the heaviness. O'course, it wasn't recorded on an eight track but I do wonder if there is an outtake or two that might live up to what John was asserting in the interview?

NumberEight and MitchLT like this.
  16. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

John was unhappy with the recording of Help. Maybe Giles could mix it in a way John would have liked.

17. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Well he already remixed it for 1+, I believe Ron Furmanek took a crack at it too

18. paul62

I have wondered if Norman Smith actually wrote the song "If You've Got Trouble" and was paid £15,000 for it to be ascribed to "Lennon/McCartney"! It will be interesting to see what Mark Lewisohn has to say about the song and about the offer to buy a Norman Smith song for The Beatles to record. At any rate, it would be cool to hear the backing track in a possible future Help! SDE.

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

:laugh:

"Don't worry boss, I got some green kid on the phone, says he's Peter Mew's son, just out of engineering academy..."

willwin likes this.
  20. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

I can't be more excited!

21. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

The Beatles can start by asking fans for help. There are people out there who have memorabilia such as pics or recordings.

paul62 likes this.
  22. paul62

P.J. Proby's version is probably the definitive one, I think! It's my favourite, at any rate. The recording sounds like it could have been used for a James Bond film.

23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I hope we get Ken Thorne's complete spy score!

paul62 likes this.
  24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Thread title changed. Let's try this again...

ronbow and longdist01 like this.
  25. paul62

They did a lot of takes of That Means A Lot and hopefully there are enough usable bits to make a decent hybrid mix of takes if there isn't a complete usable single take!!

J Alesait and Exotiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.