Toy Story 2 Home Video Release - Retro-Censoring Being Done

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BILLONEEG, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Irony meter off the charts.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Indicate where the outrage was. Hint ; there was none. Explaining something does not equate being outraged. Try again.

3. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

The original 1982 version of E.T. including the guns and minus the CGI updates was re-instated by Steven Spielberg for the 2012 Blu Ray release and the 2002 20th Anniversary version consigned to history.

Dan C, budwhite and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Excellent! There's hope common sense will prevail, then. Thanks for the correction. :righton:

goodiesguy and FACE OF BOE like this.
  5. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Societal value changes over time and our culture needs to reflect those values. Depend on your level of cynicism you can either say we have reached a higher level of morality and thus chose to correct past wrongs; or we have succumbed to the lowest common denominator and have entered into the age of anti-intellectualism. Big companies are very sensitive to negative press so they are just cleaning up their catalog. Maybe 50 years from now they'll put it back. No one destroyed anything. It isn't the new cultural revolution or is it?

BeatleJWOL and drivingfrog like this.
  6. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

The reality is - Disney/Pixar have been going into damage control over the recent sexual misconduct allegations of the film's director John Lasseter. It's hardly surprising that a joke that does not date well post-Weinstein effect (and post Lasseter) is removed. You can argue self-censorship of art all you like but Disney and Pixar are a business that relies on dollars from families and presenting a certain view of the world that's "friendly" rather than "challenging".

Disney don't care about preserving the history, they care about product. And they can see that leaving a joke implying actors trading sex to advice their careers is a red flag to a bull for Pixar and leaves them open to some serious criticisms.

BeatleJWOL, intv7, Comet01 and 3 others like this.
  7. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I wonder if Disney will ever change the name of the company since he's been accused of being an anti-semite, racist and sexist throughout the years?

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Disney has been scrubbing their products for re-release for decades. On another discussion board on the same topic someone posted a long checklist of deleted and altered scenes.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    lightbulb and DML71 like this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Fair enough maybe if it was in a Kevin Smith film then, but a Toy Story film mostly aimed at very young children, is that really the place for that type of joke?

10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

As I see it, immoral people who have wealth and power will always prey upon other people. The table sometimes gets turned.

11. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

It's not about a single person but consensus that's how societies change it's a fundamental cornerstone of democracy. And what we have left is good manners and respect.

BeatleJWOL and Deesky like this.
  12. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I agree. I laughed on seeing it, but now with hindsight and the current climate I think its no loss. With John Lasseter/Weinberg's history I don't think it's something to be including in kids films.

I'd like to think it's one of those instances that in 20 years time if you showed this to young adults hopefully they'll be appalled that 'jokes' like this were ever included in mainstream films aimed at children.

BeatleJWOL, intv7, lightbulb and 2 others like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Is that really the audience that'll question a joke and ponder away at the morality of it all?

showtaper likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

This guy gets it.

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  15. Pastafarian

It's heartening to see this thread still going, green marker threads have been closed long before this.

Some seem see Disney as Capitalism cowering in the face of the wingers.

But imagine you've taken your young daughter to see this film and that joke is there, whilst the revelations around Weinstein are coming to light and such behaviour is being laughed at, I'd be very concerned for my daughter's future.

lightbulb, drivingfrog and Dan C like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Johnny Carson had a good point that behind every joke, there's suffering and pain to a degree. Divorce is painful and ugly. It causes tons of heartache. Shall we ban any joke that is about divorce as well? How about breakups? Death? Relationships?

What's left? Knock-knock jokes?

No thanks. While I respect your POV, I find it to portray a paranoia about the state of the world. Moreover, the removal or keeping of a scene aren't indicative in the least about how the world is. You sincerely would worry about your daughter's future based on a scene lasting a few seconds in a children's movie that did not raise a single eyebrow for almost 2 decades? That's giving wayyyy too much credit to the impact of this scene on the world.

17. frozen-beach

I've never thought of the Toy Story films as strictly kids films. I always thought of them as family films. I mean, Toy Story 3 especially felt geared towards those who grew up with the first and second.

showtaper and Comet01 like this.
  18. Pastafarian

I think for those 20 years we've fooled our self that such behaviour had been consigned to history but now it's a comment on the here and now. The point is if we see such behaviour as funny, we have cause to worry that the prejudice of old may rise again.

Jokes can shine a light on many issues but I don't think jokes should be used to cause heartache if they do it tells our society lacks compassion.

It can be a tool to address issues of social concern but who, how the joke is done and who it may offend all combine to be judged if it is beyond good taste.

If this was done by a Jewish person it would obviously be seen in a different way, this is funny:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's not about just a single scene, but about what it symbolizes about the general culture in which such a scene was considered perfectly normal. Culture evolves over time, and therefore makes some previously acceptable norms of behavior anachronistic and cringeworthy by contemporary standards. I'm not a Disney fan in general, but I agree with their edit to that tacked-on scene.

BeatleJWOL, boyjohn, Comet01 and 3 others like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

You believe the majority of people would be willing to use torches and pitchforks over a silly scene like that? No. It's a tiny vocal group that will applaud this. Another tiny group (of which I'm a member) who will voice displeasure with the decision to mess with finished works, and most people won't care and/or won't even notice.

21. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Does that make the joke acceptable in what is primarily a kids movie. It's an adult themed joke which with hindsight is pretty bad taste.

BeatleJWOL, lightbulb and drivingfrog like this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Says you. I disagree.

Dudley Morris and Rasputin like this.
  23. frozen-beach

90's Nickelodeon has had far worse adult jokes in their cartoons. And yeah, Nick used to edit that stuff out, but now, they pretty much embrace that stuff.

24. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

We can only hope that Disney do a similar thing with the original Star Wars Trilogy.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

"crybabies" is the right way to describe those people.

A personal example: of course italy and italians are painted with a wide brush all the time; mafia, dishonest, liars and so on. A mobster often speaks with a strong southern italian accent. Generally, if somebody refers to italian people, they speak like the italian americans from "The Godfather".

Tarantino's parody of italians in "Ingloriuos basterds" (the scene with Pitt's soldiers and Kruger and Waltz at the cinema); should I be offended? Come on! It's a movie.

Do I wish all this stuff to go away or to change? Do I perceive lack of respect? No way. I laugh! Regarding the italian Cars, the way they talk and act in "Cars 2" is inappropriate? C'mon. It's a cartoon.

When I'm abroad, my accent is instantly recognizable. If I order something in an English speaking country, it's not unusual to hear "_____ for the spaghetti guy" or "_____ for the guy from the home of pizza".
    If I'm shopping somewhere and ask for information, approximately 7 times out of 10, a wannabe comedian informs me there's something for sale and that's an offer I can't refuse, with a "bonus" Marlon Brando/Vito Corleone impersonation and a large smile (hey, thank you all for the performance :D)

Do I call ONU or cry because they treat me so bad??? :laugh: "oh, what a bad racist joke, they called me "spaghetti guy". "Another Marlon Brando imitation". "Oh, dear me. The world is sooo cruel".

This is why I fail to understand why someone should be offended by any impersonation or joke, eg why indian people should be offended by the Peter Sellers' impersonation.

It should be noted that, on record, he mocked Irish and German people too. So, mocking the Irish and the German is ok, and other people should be treated as sacred cows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.