Toy Story 2 Home Video Release - Retro-Censoring Being Done

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BILLONEEG, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're stepping into the kryptonite for those arguments. The dreaded and indefensible double-standard!

goodiesguy, Dudley Morris and clhboa like this.
  2. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I can made made fun of due to my heritage and as I'm from a section of society that isn't fettered by prejudiced it doesn't bother me.

However Irish and Indians have experienced detrimental prejudice for many years, a popular comedian in the UK is Henning Wehn, am I offended no, in fact we can laugh at each other if there's no power struggle.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Rasputin likes this.
  3. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

"Sacred cows" could be seen as apt. This expression refers, possibly in a derogatory way, to the Hindu culture.

My aim is that of pointing out that people are often more concerned to be seen to be censoring than they are to be seen censoring appropriately. This echoes a previous poster's comment and gives an example.

(Another prime example is that "The Nips Are Getting Bigger" by Mental As Anything was banned from UK airplay because it was thought to be about Japanese people. :) )

Nothing on that Peter Sellers album should be censored IMHO. Let people look and listen and form their own opinions. In its own way, the album is a valuable historical artefact about mid-20th century Britain.

4. Pastafarian

Well the document should be preserved as historically significant but whether it should still be presented to makes people laugh is the issue.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Love your forum user name!

To be honest, I doubt that many people under 60 are even aware of the album, and younger folks might not even find it worth listening to anyway, so it's not worth worrying about IMHO.

Does this make sense?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

Oh dear god. Far fetched just had a new meaning...

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

We are talking about a kids' film. If a studio decides that content is not suitable for kids, they will revise the film. The studio has every right to do this, and you, as the consumer, have every right to buy or not buy the product. Let the chips fall where they may. :righton:

8. ShockControl

We're living in the digital era. Everything is preserved whether we want it to be or not.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think this is pretty pathetic of Disney, but I'm not surprised in them.

10. ShockControl

It's funny to see so many adults bent out of shape over Toy Story 2.

11. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

As I said previously I found it funny when I saw it.

Now in the current climate when you read about the abuse of 'power' and with hindsight I think it's not funny. Tastes change and times move on.

If you still find it funny and think it sits well in a kids film well I don't know what to say. People have different tastes.

BeatleJWOL and Strat-Mangler like this.
  12. Pastafarian

Really you believe the power struggle is over?
    My daughter has just finished her Masters :confused:, in a degree which nationally has a ratio of 11% women.

You would hope by now that male students wouldn't be showing those old ideas but it's not the case.

Attending a uni open day she was in a group with 3 boys given a problem that involved maths, they were debating how to approach the maths part when my daughter told them the answer and explained how she arrived at it, they chose to go with the boy who thought he knew how to approach the problem.

I know that she's capable of shaking hear head and holding her ground but why should women still have to fight this battle, perhaps you don't see the connection but it's about equality.

My daughter does have a serious problem if a man with real power thinks the same.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Kevin Smith audience? Yes, for sure. Just look at Dogma and the Chris Rock scenes.

14. Pastafarian

No idea who Kevin Smith is but I understand he was saying it's not his audience, or mine it seems.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You've never heard of (film director) Kevin Smith? I'm stunned. Go and watch the first Clerks straight away. Then Dogma.

Kevin has a great sense of humour and doesn't mind going pretty close to the bone.

16. ShockControl

I hope someday that Mickey Rooney will be deleted from Breakfast at Tiffany's, but then we're stuck with the problem of George Peppard.

The movie would be much better if it were just Audrey Hepburn and the cat.

SRC and Rasputin like this.
  17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Back when Disney was releasing the "Disney Treasures" series on DVD (those are stunning releases, by the way), most if not all of the vintage shorts were left intact regardless of content that one may now consider objectionable. The solution at the time was to have a filmed introduction by Leonard Maltin before a potentially offending short. In the intro he would point out that, though our culture has moved away from certain offensive stereotypes, it's important that these classic shorts remain intact for future generations (or something to that effect). At the time I thought this was going a bit overboard but I certainly prefer this approach over self-censorship.

The only other thing I have to say is that Mel Brooks had better watch his back.... :hide:

Rasputin likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

NaturalD likes this.
  19. Pastafarian

I'll try and see those, sometimes I'm in a cultural desert.

20. Pastafarian

It sounds a bit like a 'Smoking Will Kill You' on the front of the packet whilst still selling cigarettes.

21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

About a scene that was never in the theaters to begin with . . .

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Not even close. Cigarette smokers know what they’re getting themselves into with or without some government-required warning.

If you’re watching a “Disney Treasures” release and Leonard Maltin comes out ahead of time and warns that some material may be considered objectionable today, it’s easy for the viewer to just skip past the offending short.

lightbulb likes this.
  23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Interesting to read the comments posted here.
    There are several that qualify and deserve to be filed under the “Yeah, I’m a member of that forum, but I don’t agree with that perspective” folder.

Those are the comments that essentially reflect the predominant demographics here.

24. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

If there ever was a reason to hang on to DVDs and BRs, surely this kind of BS is one more to add to the list...at this rate, we'll have the modern equivalent of the Production Code back in place, because people seemingly either faint or get "outraged" at some thing, be it for the fact that actual adults (as opposed to the current kind) did things not considered "OK" any more., or because protesting things gives everyone their 5 minutes of internet ersatz fame.

bmasters9 likes this.
  25. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

At least they have their priorities in order! :D

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.