Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Random initial thoughts...

• I remember the first time I heard the long “Something” outro jam and being amazed… now I’m equally amazed that something like that most likely will not make the set. Not because I’m ungrateful or unhappy with what we are getting, but it just seems like something that would be the most prime for inclusion and would be most revelatory for fans who have not heard it before. And now its forever locked to the crummy sounding boots. Why are we getting an isolated orchestral overdub instead of this?

• “Long One” rough edit is going to be underwhelming if it’s anything like I remember being on the boots. Sitting through the Abbey Road medley all over again just to hear Her Majesty come in before Polythene Pam... nice to have but definitely not my first choice when they have a history of not even approaching the disc capacity, and the SDE will only have 2 discs of outtakes. There is a big upcharge for a collector to get 2 ~50 minute outtake discs instead of 1 in the standard edition. This is going to be 15+ minutes of one of those discs.

• no indication of “direct transfer” of the original stereo mix, seems this was just something they were doing to make the mono mixes available outside of the 09 box. this was a HUGE additional value to the other sets for me, so I’m sad to see it go

• What is the greater significance of the Dolby Atmos remix vs. a traditional surround mix? Does this mean in theory particular isolated mix elements could someday be extracted from the disc? My understanding of Atmos and other object based audio standards (admittedly something I’m not incredibly familiar with) is that “mixing” happens “live” / in real time in the pre/processor, for lack of a better way to put it. How far off base am I?

2. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

This situation, with more information available already (provided that is is correct), is indeed different than was the case with Pepper and White Album.

Cristiano Cortellazzi likes this.
  3. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Where are the track lists ?

4. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

Carl80 likes this.
  5. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks @XC70! Wasn’t expecting this until few more weeks, so certainly a Friday surprise!

To start with - ATMOS! I guess I finally need those ceiling speakers :)

With that out of the way, this is exactly what I was expecting for AR50 - a new remix, two discs of outtakes and the Blu-ray.

What I certainly wasn’t expecting is the demo of Goodbye! Now how did that make it here? It was never intended for The Beatles AFAIK but I’ll take it!! It has been on my list for a long time waiting for MPL to do something with it. So thanks Apple!

@mikecarrera menyioned a different “Something”. I was hoping for the extended version with piano coda but I guess it will a different version of the demo, perhaps with some more overdubs?

I need to look up all the mentioned takes but seems in line with what Mike was saying - just one outtake per track. It would’ve been nice to see bit of Pepper-like generosity for outtakes but at least we have almost no overlap to Anthology.

Surprised they didn’t include Come And Get It. The A3 mix sucks and I was hoping for simpler studio mix to be included here. Since Goodbye made it, they perhaps could’ve also included outtake of Que Sera Sera as well....

Some similarities continue - no remixes of the singles, so definitely being back for different future release (along with Hey Jude and Revolution).

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Page 252

DmitriKaramazov and Carl80 like this.
  7. JOSERENATO

JOSERENATO Forum Resident

Fake tracklist?

8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yeah, the exclusion of the extended version of Something with piano coda will be a disappointment. Makes me wonder if some of these outtakes (add Revolution Take 20 to same category) are being saved for future Anthology update.

I too hope that the Long One provides some additional differences than just having Her Majesty included. Let’s see what that is...

Atmos is new form of surround sound that creates more 3D spatial soundstage by including more speakers, especially ones on top of the listener (ceiling speakers). I’ve actually never heard an Atmos mix and so very furious to experiment with AR50.

9. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

Yes, Paul Weller did that in 1992. This is track 6 from his 12-track debut self-titled CD. The last 30 seconds recreate the sound of an LP being flipped over and the needle being dropped at the start of "side 2". ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  10. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Not at all. The guy who posted it is quite reliable :righton:

JOSERENATO and Shaddam IV like this.
  11. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Actually it's OGG Vorbis but the bit rate is pretty low, particularly on the DLC tracks. Basically the best source for the on-disc tracks is the Wii version (these have been digitally cracked and distributed) and the best source for the DLC tracks is the Xbox 360 or PS4 version (which so far have only been extracted in the analogue domain).

Gila and Shaddam IV like this.
  12. psychedeliceddie

psychedeliceddie Forum Resident

Take 32 of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" would be fantastic to hear, since it includes the real, natural ending of the song. The take plays on for at least 20 seconds beyond the released version. According to Lewisohn's Beatles Recording Sessions, everything after the middle eight through the end of the released version originates from take 32.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  13. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Where can this new mix be found?

14. That all is assuming that the tracklists are correct. Do we (other than the original poster) even know where they came from?

Isaac Azimuth likes this.
  15. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

That's what Apple wants to know as well I guess

ODIrony, SunSon and dewey02 like this.
  16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  17. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

Something [Orchestral – Take 39] by the way can be at 5:32.

It was edited in the end, August 19.
    I hope that we will get the long version.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

19. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

So at best it’s a harmless trick

20. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

I love Paul's version of "Goodbye". The circulating version we have of it sounds fine to me and I don't think the sound quality from this new version from what I'm assuming is Paul's master copy will be a drastic improvment like the Esher demos compared to the bootleg counterpoints.

Isaac Azimuth and Shaddam IV like this.
  21. makedatmusic

makedatmusic Forum Resident

Thanks, @XC70!
    If your source from Universal Music gets any info about a "Seeds of Love" (Tears for Fears) 30th anniversary box set, post here please:
    Tears for Fears: Seeds of Love 30 Year Anniversary Love

:)

autumn daze, Lewisboogie and bherbert like this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wow! So it'll be packaged the similar way like Sgt. Pepper then!

Who Cares and marklamb like this.
  23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It has to be 12x12 because of the cover, it is too iconic to not have it square.

pablo fanques likes this.
  24. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

The Analogues

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hmm, there's an Atmos mix of Sgt. Pepper but wasn't included in the big box however.

autumn daze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.