Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

They might include the new edit, as used at the Mortal Remains exhibition, which used more of the overhead camera (which included the otherwise almost completely omitted Rick) and a couple of shots of Rick from other footage (maybe the rehearsal?) layered over the top of other shots.

coffeetime and Simon A like this.
  2. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

You mean Gilmour & Mason? Wright came in very late and hardly plays on the album at all.

3. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

True, although Mason doesn't play much either, IIRC. He and Gilmour did finance the whole thing I believe, and he can be heard reading flight data in 'Learning to Fly'.

4. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Nope, Wright. I know he wasn't a member of Floyd officially, and came in as a session musician later on, but his Hammond organ solos are what made this a Floyd album and not a Gilmour solo record.
    Wright's involvement was the only element reminiscent of Floyd I could recognize without reading the booklet.
    They did record On An Island together, later on, but that's another story. That's how I felt back then, and to an extent how I still feel about it.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Rick input is very minimal on the original mix. I don't know exactly where you can find him (maybe someone else can enlighten?) but he's barely there. Sorry, but to call AMLOR a David-Rick collab is plain wrong.

RangerXT, andrewskyDE, ARK and 4 others like this.
  6. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Rick didn't re join PF officially till 1988, that is why its only David and Nick in the promo shots in the AMLOR booklet and other promos

RangerXT, ARK and Luisboa like this.
  7. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I can clearly hear him play on On the Turning Away, Learning To Fly and Sorrow.
    Maybe you think it's plain wrong, but to me it's so evident that it's David & Rick. Let's just agree to disagree.

Billy_Sunday and RangerXT like this.
  8. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

That's correct, I don't hear Rick nor Nick very much on the album, which is why it sounds so much better live!
    The new mix on the other had is supposed to have much more of both Nick and Rick mixed in. Nick recently re-recorded new drums for the album while Ricks input will be liftet from live concerts, so I suppose it will sound much different and more organic like The Division Bell, I hope so. It will be great to compare the original and the new mix :D Can't wait!

RangerXT, wayne66, opiumden and 2 others like this.
  9. Doctor Flang

What i hear on the album is that somewhere beneath the reverb and sequencers, are lots of different keyboard parts, some of which might, or might not, be played by Richard Wright.

In my opinion, if there is one musician on the album that is almost as prominent and recognizable as David Gilmour, it's Tony Levin.

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

According to Nick Shaeffner, Rick's contributions were minimal; most of the keyboard parts had already been recorded, and so from February 1987 Wright played some background reinforcement on a Hammond organ, and a Rhodes piano, and added vocal harmonies. He also performed a solo in "On the Turning Away", which was discarded, according to Wright, "not because they didn't like it ... they just thought it didn't fit."

Richard Wright – piano; backing vocals ("Learning to Fly", "On the Turning Away" and "Sorrow"); Kurzweil; Hammond organ (tracks 1, 2, 5, 9, 11)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  11. floydfan2410

I certainly hope that solo will be used in the new mix! I love the intro solo in the live renditions!
    A few years ago someone separated the 5 channels of the 5.1 mix of Learning to Fly from the PULSE DVD and that made it very clear that Rick contributes vocals, hopefully they will be more prominent in the new mix :)

12. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Look, I know Rick is not mixed up front or featured throughout the album like Gilmour (or as some might argue, Nick). He also didn't co-wrote any songs with Gilmour.
    All I'm saying is, it's the Hammond and his K2000 synth parts (which he used when touring) that make this sound like Floyd and not a Gilmour solo record to me, no matter how minimal his contributions were.
    Highly controversial opinion, but I think Richard Wright contributed more to Pink Floyd than Gilmour or Nick.
    Without Roger, it's far from my favorite Floyd album. I lost interest after Roger left so I concede that I'm no expert when it comes to post-Final Cut PF.
    But that's still how I feel.

13. Doctor Flang

Definitely true, especially in the early days. Somehow his role got smaller after Wish You Were Here. On "Raving and Drooling" and "Gotta be Crazy" Wright played some stunning stuff, lots of which was sadly axed when the tracks were reworked for Animals.

RangerXT, opiumden and floydfan2410 like this.
  14. floydfan2410

That's your opinion and I think we all respect that, I certainly do. But to my best of knowledge Rick plays very little on the album as well as Nick. He contributed a lot to the Pink Floyd sound up until 1975. From 1977 up until 1992 he didn't contribute very much as far as I know. But I do agree that his sound is vital to Pink Floyd's sound in those years!
    I just listened to The Wall demos and there's a very beautiful piano intro to The Thin Ice that is cut on the final album, I believe it's Rick playing and it sound much more like classic Floyd and I wish it was kept in the mix! Just like the keyboard intro to On The Turning Away.

15. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Yeah. I think we're talking about the same thing but from a slightly different point of view, using different terms.
    I identify most with Roger Waters-led PF, but I also value the pre-1975, group Floyd sound that I try and dig deep to find the parts played by Rick even when I'm listening to Animals or The Wall.
    They're definitely buried or sometimes even left out, but it's still there, and I cherish those little moments.
    Probably that's why I feel his contributions are bigger than others.

16. All three are one "One Slip" as well. Wright did enter into the process at the end, but he did overdub quite a bit if you think about it. It always sounds like him on backing vocals on "Learning To Fly", I'd like to see when during the sessions "One Slip" was done. It's got the grease that their later work of playing in the same room has.

RangerXT and opiumden like this.
  17. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Hey Lars,

Where could I find that track analysis? I'd love to hear it! Thanks.

18. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I take it that this is the same bit that can be heard in the film version?

19. floydfan2410

I'm pretty sure it's not. I can't recall any piano intro to The Thin Ice in the movie, of course my memory could have slipped.

20. floydfan2410

To be honest I can't remember where I heard it. Maybe Ron remembers?

21. There is definitely a short solo piano intro for "The Thin Ice" in the movie version.

22. floydfan2410

Cool! It's been a while since I've watched the film. But I don't think it's the demo version though. The demo has in fact a combined piano and guitar intro.

23. Yes, it's not the demo version. The movie intro has the same 'sound' of the album ... as if it was one of many sections cut from / for the final mix of the album proper.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, there's an intro in the movie and they also played it on tour.

25. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Regarding Wright’s contribution: it’s known he didn’t do much on AMLoR, but I also get listening for his contributions to get a better impression of the album as “Pink Floyd”.

I’m a huge fan of his as well, though I don’t get much sense of him on that album. But for that reason, I would actually recommend his solo album, Broken China, which features quite a few recognizable “Floyd” keyboard sounds which I think help give a sense of some of his contributions we know less about on proper Floyd albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.