Toy Story 2 Home Video Release - Retro-Censoring Being Done

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BILLONEEG, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Please note I did not debate any of this.

2. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

"No outrage!"

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. You seem a little worked up here and it turned out you didn't even have the facts right.

Comet01 likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Huh? No, no. It's a kids movie and I'm talking about kids.

4. Strat-Mangler

Not worked up at all but a stranger's made-up mind about that won't ruin my day. Have at it if it makes you feel better about yourself. Sounds like you need it. :)

And I guess I should apologize for not keeping current on all the versions of E.T. I'm happy to say I don't have the same amount of motivation and time to keep track of all Blu-ray releases of children's films like you insinuate to having. :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  5. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

That is pretty hilarious coming from the guy who was worked into a froth over ET being altered. Irony meter is totally busted now. I learned the facts from the guy who corrected you here.

6. Strat-Mangler

No one will have the most updated facts in every case... except you, of course. Unlike most (including you), I see being corrected as an opportunity to learn which is why I even thanked him for updating me but that, along with many things, clearly went over your head.

You seem desperately aching for a fight. I thought being scolded publicly by a mod for trying to start one in this very thread would've been enough of a hint but I guess not.

Do you have any actual thoughts on the matter or are you allergic to elaborating on stances and prefer to contribute nothing but attitude? I'm 99% sure I know the answer but let's see if you can prove you have something more substantial to post.

goodiesguy, LarryP and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  7. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

You missed my point giving a explanation or warning doesn't absolve you from the reason you need to give the information.

I also doubt a child would bother to listen to the preamble

8. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I don't think the "Treasures" series were only marketed towards kids.

My point was that there are better ways for Disney to address "objectionable" content other than pretending it never happened. Sometimes it's okay for grownups to work things out on their own without being coddled and protected from anything offensive or objectionable. As for kids, I doubt they even notice the stuff that the grownups find offensive.

I'm surprised that Disney hasn't removed the crows from "Dumbo" yet.

Jack Lord and Jazzmonkie like this.
  9. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Retro-censoring videos! What's next, tearing down statues and defacing paintings?

10. Pastafarian

Therein lies the problem those ideas are assimilated and even now we as adults we operate on those prejudices even if you appose the ideas, you have to question the basis for your beliefs.

That's how the human brain is wired, for prejudice, otherwise we wouldn't be able to navigate this world

BeatleJWOL and showtaper like this.
  11. Pastafarian

Near to where I used to live, was Sambo's grave and some people were unhappy about it still being called that in this instance my feeling was you can't whitewash your countries slavery past, you need to acknowledge but not endorse. If I remember rightly there's a plaque spelling out Lancaster's inglorious past.

I think it a case by case basis, there must be something out there that justifies why it should or has been be removed.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am offended that the Toy Story 4K discs are $30 each, and probably will be forever.

RolandG, drivingfrog and Pete Puma like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

The issue with that line of thinking is the possibility of believing your opinion should carry more weight than others. If I think one way but you think the other, who's to say how it should go?

Democracy? The majority doesn't always get it right or there wouldn't have been these situations to begin with. Then what?

14. You only find things you approve of funny? Hogan's Heroes would likely give you a stroke.

bmasters9, agentalbert and goodiesguy like this.
  15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I have somewhat mixed feelings on this.

On one hand, it is within Disney and Pixar’s right to do so, and I certainly understand why one would find the scene problematic, particularly giving Lasseter’s scandal. And truthfully it can be removed without affecting the movie in any real way.

That said, I don’t necessarily agree with how Disney went about it, especially with how shady they were about it. They tried doing it without anybody noticing, which comes off like they’re just doing it to save face rather than any real concern over the implications.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. Pastafarian

Well I think on this one it was settled a long time ago so I think I'm on solid ground unless I've misunderstood your comment.

You can argue that modern democracy first emerged in 1641 and it's been seen by most as a good thing, parting from that in the past hasn't gone well.

17. Strat-Mangler

Somebody suggested he watch Kevin Smith movies. He better have his will in order before he does. :D

goodiesguy, LarryP and Dudley Morris like this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

More of an example of how differences in opinions regarding issues like this should be tackled. Who says the scene in TS2 should be removed? The studio decided to in the end but because of who's opinion? And why was that person's more important than others'?

19. Pastafarian

Well I don't know who but we've had a lot of posts saying why the decision was correct and I presume this was discussed extensively within the company, or it could just be a turnover issue as they could foresee why people would have a problem with this, who knows.

20. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

An extreme example of erasing history is the recent Afghan Taliban blowing up and demolishing ancient art and artifacts and Buddhist statues because they didn't agree with them. Noble intentions of course, from the Taliban perspective.

showtaper likes this.
  21. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I'm not outraged by the removal of the scene, but I think it is funny and harmless. I think people forget what comedy is really about. It's about holding up a mirror on society- showing it warts and all, and making us laugh at the human condition. Bad behavior is, and has always been part of the human condition and laughing at it does not condone it. It's called satire and satire has always been an important genre of comedy, though can often be controversial. It seems there are those who would do away with satire thinking that most people are too stupid not to take it literally. Ignore it and maybe it will go away. There was a time when people thought sex education would just encourage young people to have sex and it was better to keep them ignorant.

I watch a lot of old movies and am often annoyed by how many minorities are portrayed as stupid or lazy, but I realize it is an antiquated view and it doesn't make me believe it. I can actually think for myself.

showtaper, goodiesguy, LarryP and 4 others like this.
  22. Pastafarian

I'm not sure using any strand of religious 'Ultras' is applicable, in what is to my mind a secular issue.

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

On a side note, the blu-ray of E.T., which has the guns, looks amazing. I'd grab it if you like the movie. :)

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  24. Pastafarian

I agree with a lot of what you say but it may take a long conversation with any child who watches dubious films from the past, it's hard work.

Raylinds likes this.
  25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Didn't they add some white patches to them and turn them into Magpies? Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.