Michael Hutchence. Largely forgotten?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I can still remember being a kid and the guys from INXS walking by my parents and I at the airport in Hamburg. The ladies were going insane.

Jmac1979, Binni and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

a well remembered forgotten man

3. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

You should talk. You appear to be severely lacking in both departments.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

LOL
    We have that effect on people hahaha

5. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I win.

D.D.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Blondie preceded Benatar (split up in 1982 when Pat's career was still in it's peak) and Pretenders' debut only came out about 3-4 months after Pat's debut did. Pat began to fade when she put family above career in the mid-80s, but I don't think she has any real regrets about it, but from 1979-1985 or so she had a good run there that still pays the bills. Plus her sound did soften up around the time of Tropico in 1984, though she did have one final US hit in 1988 when she went back to harder edged rock with "All Fired Up"

Regarding the songwriting, Pat actually did have a hand in some of her most well known songs (Fire And Ice, Treat Me Right, Promises In The Dark, Hell Is For Children, All Fired Up to name a few) and some others were written by her husband, so it wasn't like everything was from outsiders

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    sunspot42 and mark winstanley like this.
  7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Benatar might have been surpassed, but she was forever immortalized in Fast Times in Ridgemont High, since she was the star that three different girls patterned their look after. :cool:

sunspot42 and DesertHermit like this.
  8. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Pat Benatar had 15 in the US between 1980 and 1988...not a bad effort either!

9. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

One thing I remember from around 1992/3, was that all my social group at the time were massively into music, and tastes tended to be away from the mainstream. However, most us liked U2 and INXS. Achtung Baby and Welcome To... were both well received by us lot. I will say though, U2 got talked about a lot for their then groundbreaking music by most of us. INXS got talked about a too, but mainly from the female side of the group (and 1 male!). Posters and tabloid news was a bigger topic than musical accomplishment (which wasn’t completely ignored I will add!) No judgement, we were young, it was what it was. But it does say something which to me at least contradicts some of the hardcore fan posts on here. Michael Hutchence was big draw, and overshadowed the tight, professional but fairly mainstream music.

I’m not an ‘alternative’ snob who only listens to alternative, challenging or weird music - I’ll listen to Bryan Ferry and The Orb on the same night if my musical journey takes me in different directions. I have heard Welcome To and Achtung Baby one after the other many times sine their releases, though always in that order. And I’ve learnt a lot about their dedication pre fame on this thread. Suicides or ‘early’ deaths in the music world probably have a more pronounced effect on us because music clearly means so much to us. I haven’t forgotten Michael Hutchence - but in equal part because of his early death and the music (and I’ll be honest perhaps because of a certain young lady in ‘92 who really liked him a lot, and more importantly, my mate and not me so much...) I still like a couple of their albums, but I never did and still don’t consider them to be groundbreaking, or changing music in an original unique way, in the pop or rock world. For me and the albums I know well he was a brilliant front man, the lyrics resonated with me, and the music at times was really good. Respect to them/him, more so now I know more about their history, they bloody did alright!

10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I don't know who he is.

11. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

What exactly? Biggest problem troll or a##hole award? In that case you certainly may have, but it's nothing to be proud of.

12. DesertHermit

Oh come on now! I agree with most of your posts and like your sensible approach but this is drawing a long bow. 9 top 40 singles is a little better than “a few”! Come on, my friend! Of course, the fact that of these 9 only 4 maybe well-known in the US kind of backs up your point, you must admit, INXS still had a pretty good run in the US for an Australian band. :cheers:

ARK, tkl7, Jmac1979 and 2 others like this.
  13. DesertHermit

But that wasn’t the point. The point was that Amy Winehouse influenced a number of artists that enjoyed success around the world. Her natural ability to fuse styles of music and bring a jazz sensibility and fine touch to pop music was quite incredible. Even with her limited discography, I’d wager she will be remembered long after Michael Hutchence and INXS for her pure creativity and eclecticism. And I don’t really have a dog in this race- I like some of both Winehouse’s and INXS’s work.

14. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

They're all still pretty well known here, and still receive airplay. In fact, one of their songs that only charted at #80 in the US, "Don't Change" is also one of their best remembered and most covered songs, and also still receives plenty of airplay.

ARK and DesertHermit like this.
  15. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Maybe, maybe not. I guess we'll have to wait another 20 years to see. If anything it'll be because her music, while not terribly original, or creative, has/had more crossover appeal to people of different ages and fans of different genres of music. It's more that nostalgic vibe of her music that makes her accessible to a wider audience.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  16. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

An INXS fanboy is something to be...... I guess.

That's a great post. Run and show it to your Mom. Maybe she'll put it on the fridge !

D.D.

17. DesertHermit

Christ, I’ll be lucky to remember my own name in 20 years! :help:

mark winstanley and Diamond Dog like this.
  18. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Yes, in 20 years I'll be too old to give a ****, either.

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Great song.

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Wow, you're about as ironic as Alanis Morissette. Buy seriously, I'll take it over being like you. But you just go on being you, and don't change. It appears to be what you need, and the one thing you're good at. Put up another shining star trophy on your own mom's fridge to join all the rest. I'm sure you have your collection is pretty impressive.

21. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Are the INXS albums in the All the Voices vinyl boxset that came out a few years ago as horrible sounding as the remastered cds? I'd like to have Elegantly Wasted and Full Moon Dirty Hearts on vinyl since they're the only two I don't have but not sure if it's even worth it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Seems to be a lot of ‘new’ fans (or not fans) of INXS on this thread, going by the young teenage bickering and insults on a lot of the pages!

23. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

All I know is they were a great band to workout to. I must have done 1000 hours on the treadmill listening to "Listen Like Thieves" on my Walkman (which is I think their best album). I saw them at the Greek Theater because a girl I knew wanted to see them. So I have fond memories of the band.

24. mark winstanley

It surprises me that folks are so dismissive of Benatar.... She released good albums, had tons of hits. She wasn't particularly soft rock and mixed it with the rock boys easily... Contrary to what someone said, she and Giraldo, did write a lot of their own stuff ... and she could stand toe to toe with just about any rock singer I have ever heard ... What's not to like?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  25. mark winstanley

Gravity's Rainbow is an excellent album too, but by that stage, most artists that were popular in the eighties were struggling against the media propaganda about "eighties music" ... it was not unlike a lot of big seventies acts struggling to fit into the early eighties.

DesertHermit and Jmac1979 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.