Toy Story 2 Home Video Release - Retro-Censoring Being Done

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BILLONEEG, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I don’t really know. Maybe they were always magpies. Whatever they are, they represent a a pretty antiquated stereotype that is ripe for a Disneyesque scrubbing.

2. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I have a fuzzy recollection that some time back they changed to magpies, maybe far back, to address what you stated. Or maybe I'm confusing them with the Heckle and Jeckle?

3. bubba-ho-tep

Wikipedia says it was crows but I'll need to watch again.

unclefred likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Wonder if Spielberg ever elaborated on the reason why the guns are back and the extra special effects were omitted in this newer version.

5. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

My daughter obviously had a deprived childhood as I can't remember this film and had to look up why crow was an issue.

Yep very dubious and it probably would go over the head of most 6 year olds but why not remove or have Magpies or whatever they did after all it's about Dumbo.

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think he said something about respecting the original version. There's a quote out there somewhere.

https://news.avclub.com/steven-spielberg-sorry-he-made-all-those-changes-to-e-t-1798227424

“I tried this once and I lived to regret it,” Spielberg said of that time he digitally inserted walkie-talkies into E.T., thereby reducing gun violence by approximately 25 percent. Yet even though our streets are safer, Spielberg says he feels bad about it “not because of fan outrage, but simply because I was disappointed in myself. I was overly sensitive to some of the criticism E.T. got from parent groups when it was first released in '82 having to do with Eliot saying ‘***** breath’ or the guns… And then there were certain brilliant, but rough-around-the-edges close-ups of E.T. that I always felt, if technology ever evolves to the point where I can do some facial enhancement for E.T., I'd like to.”

“I realized that what I had done was I had robbed the people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. And I regretted that.”

bmasters9, showtaper, Dan C and 3 others like this.
  7. Pastafarian

I'm struggling now I've not seen ETo_O.

supermd and Strat-Mangler like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Awesome! Very cool find. Thanks for bringing that up to my attention. :)

Now, if only Disney could follow suit. Oh,... that's right. TS2 and Star Wars are owned by Disney. Not likely to see an unedited/uncensored version of the original SW trilogy in HD.

supermd likes this.
  9. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

Was thinking something similar! Take the smoking and drinking out of Casablanca and you have a 12-minute movie.

10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Wait. The original Toy Story 2 will be inaccessible??

That's weird -- we watched it on BluRay last weekend, with that scene intact. I sure hope they don't come to my house to confiscate that, or my DVD, or the VHS copy that's in my garage somewhere.

The cut that's been around for 20 years won't be difficult for purists to find. It's not going anywhere. I get why the scene was removed. I don't find it offensive, but it's definitely not the kind of joke that should be in a kids' movie in this day and age.

11. Strat-Mangler

Ouch. Get on there, sir! Forget aboit Kevin Smith movies. You'll have 10 heart attacks from the language and content. But check out E.T. Even though I was never hypnotized by it like my peers were, it's well done.

12. Strat-Mangler

I've mentioned a number of times that I'm referring specifically to streaming or buying current releases.

RL-mastered Led Zeppelin II isn't going anywhere either. It doesn't make it any more accessible for purchase as a streaming or new product.

I understand and appreciate what you're saying but there was a somewhat missed nuance. Your children aren't any worse off for seeing the scene either.

showtaper likes this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:yikes: Believe the hype. It's an excellent film. Snag the blu-ray, NOW! :)

Dan C likes this.
  14. Pastafarian

E.T. I think I'm up to speed, personally I don't have a problem with guns, for a Child I'd recommend Michael Morpurgo's War Horse after that they'll come to their own opinion guns are a bad idea.

You don't have to tell kids what's wrong if you give them the tools to think and come to their own conclusions they're pretty clued up and can see with laser vision, slight problem my daughter and I have very different views on religion from when she was 6, I failed:confused:.

15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Once again, you've presented an analogy that doesn't apply. An RL Led Zeppelin II is a needle in a haystack, it was pressed for a very short amount of time. Toy Story 2 has sold millions of home video units. I suspect it will be cheap and easy for decades to come to get your hands on a version of the film with that scene intact (which is completely unnecessary to the plot and comes during the closing credits, mind you).

16. Pastafarian

I must sound like I live on a desert island or :angel:, :tsk:.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

It’s starting to get difficult which posts are expressing genuine concerns about censorship, outrageous hyperbolic imaginings of mass eradication of creative works, or just overly emotional irrational ranting...

18. Strat-Mangler

With respect, you're missing the point. In this case, sure, it'll be quite easy to buy an original Blu-ray of this movie but since this is quite likely to be the tip of the iceberg, removing from circulation other works in favor of modified ones won't be so easy to circumvent.

Here's a more apt example. Nowhere can you buy the theatrical cut of Amadeus in HD. Just plain doesn't exist. The director's cut was made for DVD and that is the sole treatment that was given the HD treatment. Now, there are loads of movies and TV shows we'd like to see in HD eventually. If/when that ever happens and someone arbitrarily decides something should be removed, it'll then be impossible to find it in its best version.

I suspect more of the same is to come when other works are similarly changed without providing consumers with options. Nothing wrong with multiple versions of a work circulating. It's when it is replaced that I am disappointed in the decision.

19. bubba-ho-tep

I think you kind of answered your own question. I don't think that kids or adults would really understand the significance of the crows. Plus, the crows actually represent a major turning point in Dumbo in spite of the exaggerated manner in which they're portrayed and I believe that's all modern audiences really see when they watch the movie today. To me, that's as good a sign as any as to how far we've come as a society.

I don't think that going back to revise older films in order to appease a handful of the perpetually offended does anybody any good. People are always talking about the need to candid discussions about one thing or another. Well, if you remove everything that could potentially form the basis for a candid discussion there won't be anything left to discuss.

bmasters9 and showtaper like this.
  20. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Everything is politically incorrect or offensive to some unreasonable prudes and idiots on the internet now and after they have their way with censoring everything we ever loved and grew up with, there will be nothing left.

Yet they look the other way when it comes to all the current suggestive or sexually aggressive crap like Cardi B, Arianna Grande The Kardashians or "Love Island" ...; they all get a pass.

I don't want anything censored.

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Just because a film company decides to remove or change a scene because it doesn't reflect their current values doesn't mean they're "censoring" it.

22. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

905, intv7 and swandown like this.
  23. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

There is actually a throwaway joke about this in the Yesterday movie.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Wrong use of that meme.

supermd and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

It's literally the very definition of it. :)

cen·sor
    /ˈsensər/

verb
    1. examine (a book, movie, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it.

showtaper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.