Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

But that instead of a truly fully realised early version with all 4 of them and with a long coda edited out of the song.....

supermd likes this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I get it. I do. I'd prefer that... but I'm trying to see the silver lining. :)

theMess and Kim Olesen like this.
  3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

4. Ern

Ern Senior Member

If this is the final tracklist, which I think it is, my only complaint is the exclusion of an early take of Something with the piano coda!
    Apart from that, I'm excited with this release! :righton:

5. maandrade

maandrade Forum Resident

@XC70 came first.

6. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

thanks for the leak.

can someone explain to me the inclusion of 'goodbye'? isn't that a white album song?

7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Thanks.

8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I hope this doesn't make it hard for you and Mike to get info on the 2020 releases next year.

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

What did I miss.

Recap please.

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

In the beginning was the Word.

11. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

In the beginning, God created Liverpool.

For that, we thank him.

12. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Maybe you are thinking of "Good Night"? "Goodbye" is a song Paul wrote for Mary Hopkin and this is a demo of the song he recorded at home in '69 around the time of the Abbey Road sessions.

theMess, Who Cares and qtrules like this.
  13. multi.flacs.project

multi.flacs.project Forum Resident

Quick rundown of what appears to be new/unheard by collectors, which is almost everything. Some more bits may have been available from Rockband but for now there is no telling.

CD2
    I Want You (She’s So Heavy) [Take 32 + Billy Organ]
    one of the master takes (9, 20, 32)

Goodbye [Demo]
    booted in mono, probably new stereo mix

Something [Demo]
    on anthology 3, now probably with piano overdub only available on bootleg from crummy acetate

Ballad Of John And Yoko [Take 7]
    outtake, new (master take 10)

Old Brown Shoe [Take 2]
    outtake, new (master take 4)

Oh Darling [Take 4]
    outtake, new (master take 26)

Octopus Garden [Take 9]
    outtake, new (master take 32)

You Never Give Me Your Money [Take 36]
    outtake, new (master take 30)

Her Majesty [Takes 1-3]
    outtakes + master take (3), partially new, some on Rockband + official version

Golden Slumbers Carry That Wait [Takes 1-3]
    outtakes, partially new, take 1 previously available with voiceover from Anth. video (master takes 13+15 -> take 17)

Here Comes The Sun [Take 9]
    outtake, new (master take 13)

Maxwell's Silver Hammer [Take 12]
    outtake, new (master take 21)

CD3
    Come Together [Take 5]
    outtake, new (master take 6 -> 8-track copy take 9)

The End [Take 3]
    outtake, new (master take 7)

Sunking Mean/ Mr Mustard [Take 20]
    outtake, new (master take 35)

Polythene Pam/Bathroom Window [Take 27]
    outtake, new (master take 39)

Because [Take 1]
    outtake, new (master take 16)

The Long One [Trial Edit And Mix]
    most likely RS2 in good quality, finally - previously booted in very poor quality

Something [Orchestral – Take 39]
    new-ish, mixed with additional tracks on Rockband stems, and will probably include some unheard bits

Golden Slumbers [Take 17]
    master take - presumably an alternate mix with, maybe more orchestra? (but the orchestra is just a mono recording)

14. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

A bunch of hoopla with no presale
    Until presale time nothing means nothing.Beave

15. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I think I addressed the point about the 1964 through 1966 material, but I'm not certain what you're getting at with the other examples you cited... are there alternate versions of those songs solely out on bootlegs?

- Kevin

theMess likes this.
  16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

thank you!! that's my confusion.

17. PatrickG

PatrickG Forum Resident

I suspect the inclusion of the orchestral Something might be due to one of Apple's board of directors. I imagine Olivia would want to see George represented on each CD to ensure that the estate is enjoying a fair share of royalties. That's why they're probably loathe to include sloppy oldies jams--the space that a Goon-voiced cover would take up is money lost.

18. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

I totally get you brainwashed. I am not at all mad that things that don't exist aren't on the tracklisting. I mean, I don't think any of us thought that there was some great lost Beatles song recorded in the summer of 1969 that just happened to never find it's way out there through the last five decades. But if indeed there was little ditties like 1968's "(You're so Square) Baby I Don't Care" or even "St. Louis Blues" or "Blue Moon" and stuff like that, then yeah sure I'd have loved to hear it. And stuff like the early rehearsal of "Let It Be." Sure, I like the idea of Beatles titles that haven't been released before, but I also just like the idea of hearing what seemed to be off-the-cuff renditions of what one presumes are songs that the guys liked. Kinda made you feel closer to the sessions. And that's why I'm a bit surprised at the lack of "Who Slapped John" and "Be-Bop-A-Lula" as apparently they were recorded around the same time as "Ain't She Sweet" and as loose as "Ain't She Sweet" sounded, it was releasable and I have to assume that the other two may be in an equally releasable state. However, just like in all other cases I defer to the artists (and if the artists are no longer with us, their families or trusted friends) and therefore if Paul or Ringo (or Yoko or Olivia) didn't want this or that included, that is there prerogative.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    theMess, Isaac Azimuth and supermd like this.
  19. multi.flacs.project

multi.flacs.project Forum Resident

I really don't think there's any alternate recordings of any of those songs listed out there in the wild. Alternate mixes, yes, but those are not freed under the European 50 year rule as they are the same recording as released versions.

Lewisboogie and Who Cares like this.
  20. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Yeah, agreed.

Honestly, at this point, there might not be much out there that people don't know about (and is worth releasing).

Given that this band was famous for 7 years and broke up essentially 50 years ago, we are very lucky to be getting remixed content, demos, etc.

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

As suspected.

Thanks

22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Arrangers often get writing credit in nearly every other country other than the Untied States.

dewey02 and Beatle Ed like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What do you think the criteria are for Yoko and Olivia approving these releases on their husbands' behalves? What do they look for?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Some will say yes, some will say no.

DRM likes this.
  25. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Obviously this is a complete guess, given I know no party personally, but I think their relationships amongst each of the families is at a point where they probably do what is best for the Beatles image as a whole. I think they also have an eye on what could potentially improve their image individually, but the overriding thought would be on how do the Beatles come across from this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.