Classic Records Quiex 200 gram vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dennis Metz, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit Thread Starter

I just received a sealed copy of the Suzanne Vega Beauty and Crime Classic records quiex vinyl reissue. Not only is it the noisiest new record I’ve ever purchased, it’s off centre. Not very impressed:cheers:

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not unusual. Most every 200g Classic I had was noisy and/off center. I am not impressed either.

Tullman likes this.
  3. Dennis Metz

It surprised me:cheers:

4. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Classic had some high highs and some low lows. My Stephen Stills Manassas was beautiful and my Neil Young Living With War was a noisy mess.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes, like most things in life, it's on a case by case basis.

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

7. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Well they had pressing issues near the end, they replaced my Who -Who's Next twice.
    Spectacular pressings until I got to that one.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Classic had issues transitioning from 180g to 200g. There were a lot of complaints about quality control. I never had a problem with any of the 200g pressings. So not all of them are bad. But, there were definitely reports of people returning them. The 200g format wasn't only an increase in mass, it also included a flatter profile that eliminated the groove guard. This caused them a lot of problems. I tend to think it contributed to the demise of Classic Records.

9. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

That's what I understood as well

patient_ot likes this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It got so bad with CR that I had to use their hand selected service from the CR store. I wouldn’t use any other online dealers.

11. dosjam

dosjam Forum Resident

I hear you. I would have bought way more of their records if the QC were better. They had warpage issues as well. Not what you expect
    from a back then $30 record.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Dennis Metz

Groove washer did the trick :edthumbs::cheers:

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That's good! I've had records like this, that played terribly and after a spin on the RCM they played mint. My VPI has payed for itself over the years.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    DeRosa likes this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have yet to find a Classic pressing of Kind of Blue that plays quietly.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Still off-center?

gabbleratchet7 and patient_ot like this.
  16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My Classic Records KOB pressing (double 33 w/45 alternate "Flamenco Sketches") plays fine. Quiet.

My 200gm pressing of Peter Gabriel IV is also quiet.

But they have had some misses, and so has MoFi. I have had some terribly noisy MoFis that I had needed to send back. I also have a 140gm of PG IV which you could barely hear the music over the awful vinyl. And it had nothing to do with cleaning the record.

patient_ot likes this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Glad I'm old, and stuck in my ways. My first instinct would be to clean the record, not jump online. :laugh: But that's just me.

marcb and c-eling like this.
  18. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

CR had terrible pressings. I'd now never buy a sealed LP. Play graded only

patient_ot and hvbias like this.
  19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Coltrane's One Down, One Up- that is a Classic pressing I could never find in sufficiently quiet playing condition. I think I went through five copies from the various audiophile music retailers.

20. c-eling

Same here, but I think Dennis was waiting for my smart-ass comment. It was bait :laugh:
    Two can play his game :D

Stone Turntable likes this.
  21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The 45 rpm single disc black vinyl pressings were much better than any of the 200g QUIEX 33 rpm. I had one 180g test pressing that was quiet enough, but still didn't have a black enough background that this album needs. My major annoyance at the time with those flood of test pressings was the lack of album art.

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This is definitely a “You know you’ve been on SHF too long when you instantly get this joke” post.

:cheers:

23. I can’t even comprehend 200g records. A waste and no advantage to better sound.

ultron9 and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

180's scare me enough on those old motors... :laugh:

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Classic go through a few different pressing plants (e.g. RTI, Bill Smith, etc.) before attempting to set up their own operation?

And then with those in-house pressed LPs that is where most of the problems were?

Based on feedback I've heard over the years I've been put off on buying anything sealed as well, even though Acoustic Sounds and other shops have NOS sealed Classic LPs for sale. I did just take a chance on one of the 140g Who reissues...will see if that pans out or it turns out to be a noisy mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.