Big artists with a 'sell-out' disco hit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

If you had grown up pre-Disco and listened to several Pink Floyd albums upon release (I started by hearing "Meddle," then went on to grab each following Floyd album within a week or so of release -- I was a huge fan) "The Wall" as a whole, and especially Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2, the rhythm was a complete departure (boringly monotonous, IMO).

When I first heard Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2, I was driving in my car.

I could tell it was Pink Floyd (the album was dropping that week).

I pulled my car over to listen to the song.

At the end of it I literally said to myself: "Disco Floyd"

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    misterdecibel likes this.
  2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The single faded before the pudding part, didn't have any phone beeps, and had a short guitar intro tacked on to the start. This video accurately reflects the 45:

john lennonist and Jarleboy like this.
  3. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I never really thought of Superman as disco or sell-out.

4. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Sometimes the master isn't immediately available or its lost. The Neil Young song Sample and Hold was mentioned previously as being released with a different 12" mix (a bad one) on the CD as the original master was nowhere to be found.

5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Yep, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of disco is Pink Floyd.
    Jeez.......

6. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Mind those cowbells...

Jarleboy and john lennonist like this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Apparently you are unable to detect the massive change in the sound of the rhythm section between "The Wall" and

"Meddle," "Obscured by Clouds," "Ummagumma," "Dark Side of the Moon," "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals."

Jeez.......

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I wouldn't necessarily call it disco, but I can relate to what you are saying. It was a new rhythm style for the band.
    Very 1979. I didn't consider it a disco sell-out at the time, like I did some other things going on back then. I think I
    just viewed it as "modern." We played that album every night for the whole summer of 1980. Good times.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Jarleboy and john lennonist like this.
  9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Love someone claims to recollect vividly how it felt upon hearing new music 40 years ago and the exact words uttered immediately after hearing it. :rolleyes:

Let me dig deeper to share how it felt after first hearing "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" and "Children of the Sun" back then.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Not a sell out, I don't think, as others have said most artists took a whack at the emerging disco genre.

Split Coconut - Dave Mason 1975

DEAN OF ROCK likes this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

While "Another Brick In The Wall Pt. II" isn't exactly disco, it definately has a four beats per measure for the kick bass, a bona fide disco feel, an R&B groove. It's obvious why it was chosen as the first single from the album. And it worked. It shot right to #1 on the Billboard chart, Pink Floyd's one and only U.S. #1 single ever.

You could play the song in a disco, though I doubt any ever did.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

I can't believe the Steely Dan fans have been behaving themselves this whole thread.

frightwigwam, pudgym and Cachiva like this.
  13. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Sneakers (Fifty-Four) - Sea Level

14. expo62

expo62 Forum Resident

J. Geils Band "Come Back"

ibekeen likes this.
  15. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

It was obviously a big departure for the Floyd, up to a point anyway, as it still had the social commentary doom and gloom lyrics and the overall Floyd sound and a great guitar solo. But it worked. Sell out? I dunno and I don't care. It is what it is. Great track. I couldn't call it Disco per se, but Disco-ish. Elements of. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was vaguely a bit of a piss take.

Jarleboy and Grant like this.
  16. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

just about all of them, at least in Philly area, also my parents owned a popular "Gay" Disco /"Black" disco (they pretty much alternated nights with the crowd makeup) in the area, the song was played solidly for a year , each night...+++ received a lot of airplay on the local huge R+B station WDAS for a solid year ( but so did "Money" a couple of years earlier)

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. radickeyfan

both of these were huge in Philly on WDAS , also the previous mentioned One Of These Nights , also was ---the only Eagles songs they ever played

and being they were played on the radio , all 3 were played constantly at my parents club

pudgym and Jarleboy like this.
  18. radickeyfan

WDAS also played the Macca / MJ stuff and Stevie duet (obviously-they were huge ) --also the studio version of Coming Up --also Blondie's Call Me was in heavy rotation

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. radickeyfan

no, Gilmour was hugely into Disco/Dance Music , when he was in Philly , he regularly stopped in my Parents disco, he knew his stuff, and would talk to the DJ in the booth for hours---the Blue Pearl stuff , kind of affirms , were his head was at

penguinzzz, Jarleboy and Grant like this.
  20. radickeyfan

Rod like Gilmour , stopped into my Parents disco in Philly (he had a home in NJ at the time , so he was in there place , even more , like Gilmour , he hung out in the DJ booth, when he was there , he knew his stuff) ---------the biggest surprise of a band that knew their disco , was the band , Kansas , i remember one night , I was spinning , as the regular DJ was arriving late , they crammed themselves in the booth with me , and went thru the records , and i pretty much played everything they handed me for 2 hours , those guys knew everything , i was kind of shocked how well they knew the music .....ps their favorite was Patrice Rushen , and this was before Forget Me Nots crossed over

21. radickeyfan

see my post , trust me , it filled the dance floors , on "Gay" nights, and on "Black" nights

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. radickeyfan

like i posted above , i find that really hard to believe, Gilmour was a "real disco-head" , he knew what he liked from Bohannon to Paul Jabara to Patrick Hernandez to the obvious Donna Summer , he once told my father , that Donna Summer was his favorite artist of the era (this was late 70s)

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Bowie ~ Golden Years
    Doobie Brothers ~ What a Fool Believes

24. radickeyfan

another guy , that knew his disco , really well was Roger Fripp, he once came in with Daryl Hall, and shuffled thru the records , and pulled out a stack of vinyl , to play , handed the stack to the DJ, with a couple of hundred dollar bills

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

If Another Brick In The Wall Pt2 was truly Disco it would have had loud sixteenths on the hi-hat aswell as the four to the floor. Maybe some congas too. And a bit of slap and tickle on the bass from Roger. Lol.

Jack_Straw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.