What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. steppednwhat

steppednwhat I hallucinate on Dr. Pepper

Rickenbacker basses had never been sold in London in 1965, but the manager of Boosey & Hawkes music store was convinced to import them by a 17-year-old employee named Chris Squire. The young employee eventually bought one of his own on hire purchase after watching Pete Quaife, John Entwhistle and someone else buy one (I can't remember who.) Squire's was the fourth and McCartney's was the fifth. That's how Squire tells it, anyway. When Squire died, Rolling Stone Ragazine wrote in his obituary that Boosey & Hawkes was the name of Squire's first band. Morons.[/QUOTE]

"Well it's in Rolling Stone, so it must be true"

carlwm likes this.
  2. steppednwhat

A lot of people's taste is all in their mouths.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  3. steppednwhat

Looks like the Satan from South Park after a crash diet!:D

uzn007, Dudley Morris and Steve Litos like this.
  4. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

If I remember correctly, Dan said that ultimately both he and Henley agreed that it just wasn't in the cards. Dan said something along the lines of him not wanting to be restricted to a few songs per album; he had way too much music and way too many lyrics inside him to become a (democratic) member of a band. I'm ever so grateful that he remained a solo artist since he was just about to embark on an incredibly impressive musical journey (Nether Lands, Twin Sons Of Different Mothers, Phoenix, The Innocent Age). What a run!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    carlwm, Chazzbo13 and Jarleboy like this.
  5. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Ok, this takes a bit of work, but I can draw a connection from Black Sabbath to Linda Ronstadt, (or vice versa), using different bands/musicians, with a couple of side trips:

Black Sabbath's lead singer was originally Ozzy Osbourne.

Ozzy leaves & is replaced by Dio, from Rainbow & Elf.

Rainbow was formed by Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple.

Ritchie's replacement in Deep Purple was Tommy Bolin.

Tommy came from the James Gang, where he replaced Domenic Troiano.

Domenic replaced Joe Walsh in the James Gang.

After leaving the James Gang & forming Barnstorm, Joe Walsh replaced Bernie Leadon in the Eagles.

Before forming the Eagles, the original foursome worked as Linda's touring band.

There's a lot more connections that can be made within that web. Ian Gillian replaced Dio in Sabbath for one album, & of course besides his solo career & leading Gillian he was in Deep Purple, where he was replaced by David Coverdale, who later formed Whitesnake. From Deep Purple we can also connect Captain Beyond, Iron Butterfly, Blues Image, Cactus, the New Cactus Band & Trapeze, just off the top of my head........ Triano came to the James Gang after a stint in the Guess Who, where he replaced Randy Bachman who formed Brave Belt that later morphed into Bachman Turner Overdrive..... And there's connections from that tangled mess with Jeff Beck & Johnny Winter as well.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  6. steppednwhat

Mickey Rourke on a David Bowie record?
    Dear God, it's true, though I really wish it wasn't.... Rourke contributes a toe-curlingly embarrassing 'rap' on "Shining Star" on Bowie's 1987 opus Never Let Me Down. Bowie himself shares this 'rap' with Rourke, and he's rubbish at it too. What on Earth were they thinking?[/QUOTE]

Been a fan of Dave since 1970 and saw him four times but "Glass Spider" is an awful record. A few passable tunes but myself, I don't like over half of it.

7. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Erik Satie’s piano piece Vexations is a single page of music to be performed 840 times. It takes about 18 hours. The first performance was organised by John Cage. You got a little bit of your admission refunded the longer you stayed. At the end there was a single person left who yelled Encore! He got a complete refund. True story.

8. steppednwhat

I would make a strange remark around my wife's relatives. They would shoot her a look and she would answer "Zappa" no matter what my remark. However, she was correct about 98.51% of the time

9. steppednwhat

Be sure to wear red high heels during the process.

Bluesman Mark and Sternodox like this.
  10. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Rod Argent was in a group with a name that started with A and a group with a name that started with Z.

11. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Amen! :righton:

carlwm likes this.
  12. steppednwhat

Seriously inebriated white people.

dmiller458 likes this.
  13. steppednwhat

You're killing it man!

Sternodox likes this.
  14. steppednwhat

"What did not come naturally to LaMarr however, was the notoriety and compensation she deserved for her ideas. The patent she filed with co-inventor George Antheil aimed to protect their war-time invention for radio communications to ‘hop’ from one frequency to another, so that Allied torpedoes couldn’t be detected by the Nazis. To this day, neither LaMarr nor her estate have seen a cent from the multi-billion-dollar industry her idea paved the way for, even though the U.S. military has publicly acknowledged her frequency-hopping patent and contribution to technology. " From Forbes

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  15. steppednwhat

The ladies ended up being paid $25 per hour and I believe it was unbeknownst to Ike. As for Ike, F**K him.

16. steppednwhat

The communique read "Stalinsky iz a dedski redski"

17. steppednwhat

One of those old cigar store Indians could be an ordained minister.

18. steppednwhat

Saw it during college daze circa 1977

19. steppednwhat

Nothing to do with he didn't have enough talent to pour water out of a glass?

20. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I read in an interview that Beverly arrived in Toronto in 1970. She definitely worked with Ronnie Hawkins. She may have also been called a Hawk.

However she did not work with a group that became "The Band" as they had left Hawkins years before.

uzn007 likes this.
  21. steppednwhat

His dad invented a wrench.

22. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

I'm currently reading the book U2 by U2, which is full of trivia gems. One of my favorites is the story of how the song order was determined for The Joshua Tree album. Kirsty MacColl was visiting the band in the studio while the band was wrapping up recording and asked if she could do it. The band told her that "Streets" needs to be the opening track and "Mothers" needs to be the closing track. She filled in the rest by simply listing the songs in order of preference (i.e., "I Still Haven't Found..." was her favorite song and "Exit" was her least favorite).

23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

And soon-to-be Velvet Underground member John Cale was one of the players.

24. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Excellent book.

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Corey didn't like that. Wrong earring side and everything. :)

[​IMG]

steppednwhat likes this.