Marantz SA-10 CD/SACD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Mac, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I noticed there wasn't a recent thread discussing the Marantz SA-10 CD/SACD player. Below is a copy of a post from the SA-KI Ruby thread. I bought the SA-10 from Safe and Sound in Chicopee, MA as an open box. The price was close to half price and less than the list price the SA-KI Ruby. There's still a listing for an open box SA-10 which comes with the full Marantz 5 year warranty. Ask for David Laventure as he was great to deal with. If anyone has any questions feel free to send a PM.

Marantz SA-10 SACD/CD Player with USB DAC and Digital Inputs Open Box

The SA-10 arrived from Safe and Sound in as new condition. One never knows with an open box purchase but not a single speck of dust or fingerprint. I can say without a doubt this is the heaviest disc player I've ever owned! It weighs a bit over 40 lbs. which is quite substantial for a disc player. Excellent build quality as well. Got it all setup and made sure all settings were correct as I'm using XLR. The first time I opened the disc drawer I was quite amazed how quiet it was.

The first disc I played was Patricia Barber's Verse SACD which is my reference disc and one that's very familiar. I found the sound to be excellent without any glare or sibilance that was somewhat present with the 205. It wasn't prominent but still there with the SA-10 having a smoother presentation but still very detailed. Just played Bill Evans' Moon Beams XRCD and that also sounds excellent. Now playing is Phineas Newborn Jr's Harlem Blues XRCD. Very nice as well with the volume cranked!

I'll be the first to admit I'm not well versed in reviewing high-end gear like the SA-10. But for the short time it's been playing I'm very impressed!

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Congrats, Bill! Hope it gives you many years of trouble free enjoyment! :wave:

Bill Mac and Art K like this.
  3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Bill, I see you writing SA-1 when it should be SA-10.

Bill Mac likes this.
  4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

My SA-10 in Champagne will be here by Monday or Tuesday of next week, I am indeed excited. I moved from the PS Audio separates to the Marantz, as I just wanted a one box solution. While I was at it, I ordered the Marantz NA-6006 Streamer, which ships out this next Monday. I was pretty put out with Marantz not offering the NA-6006 in Champagne, they only sell black in the United States, however I was able to score the SA-10 in Champagne, from all that I have heard and read, it is an extraordinary CD/SACD/DAC, can't wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dwilpower, warp2600, Art K and 5 others like this.
  5. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Why in the world are you posting in this thread. Thread crapping is not ok. I’ve owned several Marantz players and they were all quiet including a carousel. If you bought yours at a Goodwill after it sat in someone’s garage for 5 years well....

It appears you are a surgeon. Spend a little of that money and let others enjoy their awesome new purchases.

jusbe, PATB, ThorensSme and 3 others like this.
  6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Very nice congrats - I just bought its little brother the ND8006 - absolutely love it - sounds phenomenal.

Bill Mac likes this.
  7. Bill Mac

Thanks, George! I do as well and expect that the SA-10 will be a solid reliable player.
    Thanks for the heads up! I panicked thinking the thread title was wrong :eek:.
    Thanks! I'm sure the ND8006 sounds excellent. Enjoy!

F1nut and rebellovw like this.
  8. Bill Mac

9. Litejazz53

Now that you have mentioned your ND8006, could I ask you what streaming service your decided to go with? You model is a CD Player/Streamer and I think your unit is a higher quality unit than mine, as it is made in Japan, not Vietnam.
    I know that could be argued until the cows come home, but I would rather be in your shoes. The streaming service I viewed, that has some nice hi-rez streams is new, it's called Qobuz. I called Marantz and asked them if the NA-6006 was compatible with Qobuz, and the answer, NOPE! If you can share, what do you stream with yours, I have never owned a streamer before and know nothing about them.

10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I've always used Spotify (monthly subscription) and Pandora 1 (yearly)

The Marantz supports HEOS - which is cool as you control your library from iPad or iPhone/Android.

Sound quality is awesome though I'm not sure if it is as high quality as what Pandora 1 and Spotify provide when you use HEOS - which is 300 Kbps.

If you want the best quaility - you would use TIDAL.

I use streaming to find music - and am very happy with the sound - should I really love something - I'll buy the vinyl or CD.

Your unit should be pretty much the same.

best of luck.

I just checked HEOS and the sound quality is set to HIGH - so hopefully I'm getting 300 Kbps on both Pandora and Spotify - sounds really great is all I can say.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Slippers-on likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Looking at the rear panel of the ND8006 it indicates that it's made in Japan.
    [​IMG]

12. Litejazz53

13. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I think you will be surprised of the synergy of the Reference player with the NA 6006.

I have the Marantz Reference PM 15S1 in Champagne and the non Reference Marantz NA 8005 Streamer and the synergy is excellent...you won't be put off about the two difference colors once you near it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  14. Bill Mac

That I'm not sure. Not well versed on streaming as I'm just a shiny disc guy. I will eventually get around to ripping my SACDs but that's in the future.

15. Litejazz53

Me too, I wear the Goodwill store out here in Nashville, so many good discs! :wiggle:

16. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I believe you can listen to the tracks at Amazon, or your streamer once your get it, if you like it, order it.

17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

It's funny, but by sheer coincidence I just ordered an NA-6006 this week too! I also wish that they sold the silver models in the US. Marantz gear looks much classier in silver or Champaign.

The difference is that I'm planning to feed mine into my Direct Stream DAC. The reviews I've read have been great. So this should finally provide me with a very high-quality, yet dead-simple streaming appliance which can interface with my other Heos devices inside of my house. I find that I really dislike using PCs as streamers.

18. Litejazz53

Like you, I have been doing Pandora streaming through an HP ENVY laptop, which is feeding a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. That will now change to the internal DAC in the Marantz SA-10, so that signal will be converted to DSD, can't wait to get this all set up and post a pic! As I am a nut about organized wires, I ordered one of these long cut to length audio wire covers with a split in the middle, however I did not realize until later it was coming from China, through Amazon, my gosh, don't ever make that mistake, you may pay less, BUT they jack you on the time of delivery. :shake:

Art K and cdgenarian like this.
  19. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I have the SA-10 and PM-10 in a system with Harbeth 40.2 speakers and I really like the SA-10. As a disc player, I have no issues at all and streaming hi-res from a bluesound node 2i via coaxial into the SA-10 is equally satisfying.
    Congratulations on getting a great deal on your SA-10!

20. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I'm confused. Doesn't the PS Audio convert that incoming signal to DSD as well?

21. Bill Mac

That's a real nice system! I've never heard Harbeth speakers but would like to some day. Thanks :)!

22. Litejazz53

It does indeed, PS Audio's and Marantz's approach are different, but basically, they are doing the same thing! :agree:

PhantomStranger likes this.
  23. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Whoa! Nice piece of gear Bill, congrats!

Bill Mac likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Thanks Dan :)!

25. Bill Mac

Listening to some varied music today and I have to say the SA-10 continues to impress!

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue APO SACD
    Larry Fuller Trio - Easy Walker SACD
    James Taylor - Gorilla AF CD
    Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love APO SACD

Listening to Jimi now and the SQ is amazing. Partially due to the quality of the APO SACD and the SA-10. Wide and deep sound stage with an almost surround like quality to it :).

Ted Bell, scobb and bruce2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.