‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ Tarantino's Next

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Olompali, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I will be making my first venture to the cinema since the last `Mad Max' movie premiered.

Chrome_Head and Ghostworld like this.
  2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Airing now live on YT.. Elvis Mitchell Q&A the main cast and QT.

Carl80 and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Early reviews are mostly glowing from Cannes screening, comparisons with Pulp Fiction. Interview (above ) is QT putting the film in social perspective to the film’s time setting. I guess cause of historical reference point Charlie Manson. Not long for QT fans to actually view the movie themselves. Here comes the judge.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I love that time period so I’m gonna love it.

5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Wow, how long ago was that ? Last time I went the cinema was for django unchained.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think they were around the same time!

Carl80 likes this.
  7. alexpop

18 certificate.
    Pretty long film 2 hr 41 minuets. Looks to be final cut.

Glowing ( 13) reviews from IMDb ( 9.6/10) over seven thousand members rated it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  8. alexpop

Why the delay with Kill Bill II?

9. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

You are aware that about 6990 out of those 7000 haven't actually seen the film yet, right?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

None of the shows in my area on the 25th have a single seat reserved. Perhaps this is our Beatles Mono Remasters, Alexpop.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

:righton:

2:41 is sweet. How long was it at Canne. I bet these showings at the Arclight on the 20th are final test screening and there might be some work done in-between?

alexpop likes this.
  12. Jason Manley

My understanding is that he actually added a couple of minutes to the film that weren't shown at Cannes.

I'll go on record now saying that Tarantino in the 90s might've been America's finest filmmaker, just for PULP FICTION and JACKIE BROWN alone. One an original screenplay the other an adaptation.

Since the 90s his work has been very spotty. I haven't loved anything he's done since then, I've liked some of the films but definitely haven't loved them. PULP and JACKIE were both 4/4 pretty much perfect films. Everything since is 3/4 or lower, to me.

I'm hoping with ONCE UPON A TIME he is able to tame his tendencies for the last 16 years and just simply make a film.

Veggie Boy and Pete Puma like this.
  13. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I thought Reservoir Dogs had promise, but that Pulp Fiction was not very well done.

14. Jason Manley

Interesting. I felt just the other way. I thought RD was raw but unpolished. PULP was the payoff of the promise shown with RD.

dlemaudit likes this.
  15. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Pulp Fiction is one of the greatest movies ever! Some of the most fun I ever had at a movie theater.

kouzie likes this.
  16. alexpop

Payed members in anticipation i would imagine.

17. alexpop

I thought it was going to be more more minutes added, flesh out Tate’s character.

“ make a film “?

Variety..enjoyed the movie, but said
    “ it’s no masterpiece “. :sigh:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  18. alexpop

161 minutes.

Huh! The same ...IMDb either haven’t updated the running time or QT just kept it as it was.

I’ve also read 2h 45 mins.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  19. alexpop

Dogs was brilliant.

His real masterpieces are imo Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill I&II.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I'm thrilled he's making something set in the last 50 years, after Inglorious Bastards, Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight. All fine movies, but it's nice to see something a bit more modern from him again finally.

Have to put Reservoir Dogs in there as well, IMO--brilliant film, and still my favorite of his.

The 90's really belonged to Tarantino, what with Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and his scripts for movies like True Romance and Natural Born Killers. Seemed like every other movie was a QT copycat for awhile (hell, Pulp Fiction itself led to an indie renaissance of sorts in film in the mid to late 90's) I have to say I didn't love Jackie Brown after seeing it in the theater and haven't watched it since.

I found both Kill Bill movies to be fairly overblown spectacle, enjoyable and with a fairly good cast, but the story was thin and stretched out far too much. I enjoyed his last three films mentioned above. I get something out of every QT movie.

I'm fairly excited for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, it looks really good.

21. alexpop

Think he’s going to redeem himself with OnceUponATimeInHollywood.

Could just be his swan song.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  22. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

But I also read he was involved in something with Star Trek after OUATIH.

alexpop likes this.
  23. alexpop

Early speculation thing. Maybe a screenplay. Personally I don’t think any of those reboot ST films are very good.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Pulp fiction
    Reservoir dogs
    Kill bill 1&2 tied with Jackie Brown

25. Jason Manley

Yea, I should probably explain my thinking better there.

I always felt like KILL BILL, DJANGO, IB were almost bordering on a surreal kind of "comicbook" feel at times. It tended to take me out of the movie – often.

DJANGO might be the single film out of his 21st century oeuvre where I felt connected to characters without being reminded, at times, that I was in a movie theater. Especially with KB and IB they are technically well made but I felt difficulty snuggling up to them. I struggled with the HATEFUL EIGHT as well but I must admit is visually stunning.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just hope that this one is more 'grounded' and fofor lack of a better word and that some of his latter day tendencies are mitigated.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.