Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

The live stuff are separate albums. That is fact, not opinion. A Momentary Lapse of Reason came out in 1987, Delicate Sound of Thunder in 1988, The Division Bell in 1994, Pulse in 1995 and The Endless River in 2014.

BeatleJWOL, RangerXT, supermd and 7 others like this.
  2. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I second that! Broken China is definitely an album to check out! And I will add Wet Dream to that list as well! Both albums are amazing and a must for any fan of Rick.

3. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I’m aware that they are albums. My point—poorly explained, possibly—is that that live albums which already exist don’t allow for much in the way of new material. In this case, both tours are already documented. So what more can really be done to expand Pulse? If folks are that excited for a Division Bell Tour version of On The Turning Away, fair enough. There simply isn’t much “new” that I could imagine justifying another expensive box set. Much of the two live albums already duplicate each other as is—reviews of Pulse at the time were critical of them releasing another double live album from back to back tours covering a lot of the same songs.

Also this is where the band marketing TER as an “album” irks me, as it was always outtakes from TDB, and should have stayed as such. Can there be outtakes from outtakes?

But to each their own.

4. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

But we don't know what's left in the vaults, do we? I've read somewhere that Pink Floyd recorded tons of songs for The Division Bell, but only 11 of them were considered good enough for the album.

NicoD likes this.
  5. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Sure. But TER was essentially stuff in the vaults from TDB already. I’m sure there’s more, and maybe it’s better than that. But this is where it starts to feel like they’re selling leftovers of leftovers. I’d have loved a big Division Bell box with all the outtakes, but it feels instead like they’re squeezing fans: here’s a big Division Bell box you have to buy to get the 5.1 mix, but nothing else! Oh, they’re complaining, ok, here’s the 5.1 mix you can order. Now here’s our new, final album, comprised of Division Bell outtakes! Now get ready for The Later Years, where we’ll release, uh, OTHER Division Bell outtakes.

This could have easily been handled with one good deluxe set, and I’d have plunked my money down like I did for the Immersion sets. That’s all I’m saying.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Lands End Drums, NunoBento and enro99 like this.
  6. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

New mix? Is a remix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason in the works?

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Its done.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m glad there will be a new mix of AMLOR as I was disappointed when it seemed to be scrapped a few years ago

9. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

I’m assuming there is a distinction between “a new mix” from the original recording (hopefully with a 5.1 version) and the “de-80s” project which involved new recordings.

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's a new mix with new drums and keyboards.

11. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I thought they canned that project? Weren't they doing a more modern re record of Lapse and then canned it?

To be honest I like the mix and atmosphere of lapse as it is a very dark album and I suspect they would lighten it up which I would not like.

12. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

To be included in the new box set?

Instant Dharma likes this.
  13. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

:) Never assume!

14. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Hope they make the best to make this new mix sound less 80s.

rontoon likes this.
  15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Then i’ll get it.

16. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I hope they don't change the mood from dark and foreboding to light and airy like Division Bell.

Lapse is a dark dreary album and I love that about it.

Runicen, RangerXT, tedhead and 6 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have never disliked Momentary Lapse Of Reason personally. It is an eighties album, but it was made in the eighties, so I would expect that

18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

rontoon's statement isn't an assumption.

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The project was apparently resurrected. I wouldn't judge the new mix w/o first hearing it. I've only heard good things about it so far.
    Yes.

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Good advice. Just as you should never assume you know who you're having a conversation with. ;)

21. He can speak for himself. Thanks.

22. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

So we have confirmation of some of the contents of the box then!

23. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Yeah, I'd love to get a Wright box at some point. 2 solo albums, plus some of Rick's unreleased stuff would be fantastic.

Runicen, bobloblaw, Rekkerds and 2 others like this.
  24. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

I wonder if "new keyboards and drums" means new personnel came in to play instruments, or if they've got the original analog drum stems and MIDI sequences and set them to new effects and samples.

I'd prefer the latter.

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Nick played the new drum parts and they used Rick's keyboards from the tour multitracks.
    And then some if you've been keeping up. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.