Neil Young & Bob Dylan in Hyde Park 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

2. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Gonna see Jerry today at 19:00!

bobcat likes this.
  3. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I hope he's not bored with his jokes by 21:30!.....:)

4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m also seeing Jerry tonight. Can’t wait!

bobcat likes this.
  5. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Well, the last tours with Crazy Horse were hit and miss, but this new tour was amazing, so it was a mistake not to go.

As for Dylan, his voice has gotten clearer and more comprehensible than it was at the low point (maybe some ten years ago). He cannot play the guitar any more (athritis).

6. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Speaking as a fan of over 40 years, 50-plus concerts, most of the official releases, hundreds of b**tlegs, etc.,
    I couldn't agree more.
    :tiphat:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    smilin ed and arthurprecarious like this.
  7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Neil has proved yet again that he is still vital as a live performer.

It was my first time seeing Bob but I knew exactly what to expect so it turned out to be better than my expectations. It does seem though that he can barely play harmonica anymore, at times it seemed like it was the first time he had ever picked one up

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

bobcat likes this.
  9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

gotta say...could he EVER really play harmonica that well? sure, he used to play it with more power and focus, but he was always just a suck/blow kinda guy with the instrument.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Good enough skills to make it work for the song, like Neil. Neither would get a gig as a studio musician on any instrument.

smoke and enro99 like this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

nah, neil's much better at the instrument. actually tries to find a melody, and has some pretty good blues skills as well. have you ever heard him wail on that thing while holding it in his hand? pretty impressive!

12. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

That's not good -- Your comment reminded me of seeing James Brown near the end of his life. He used to be a pretty fair organist, but his playing the night I saw him resembled someone who had never played before, Pretty much a WTF moment.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah he's better than Bob. But Bob made really effective use of the mouth organ in the 60s at least.

Kevin j likes this.
  14. bobbycat

bobbycat Forum Resident

I wasn´t at Hyde Park but seen him earlier this year and heard countless boots.....Bob´s harmonica playing is way better in the last 1 or 2 years compared to... let´s say 10 years ago

15. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

T
    This paragraph sums up 2019 Dylan in a live setting pretty well.

“At risk of sounding equivocal, you can see both sides of the argument: there are moments when songs spark into new life – not least Like a Rolling Stone, its old sneering anger replaced by a world-weary melancholy, its tune intact enough to provoke an audience singalong – and moments when you have literally no clue what’s going on up there and wonder if anyone does outside of Dylan and his band, the latter clearly drilled to perfection on their boss’s foibles: “Oh my God, this is Make You Feel My Love” cries out a voice in the crowd midway through his most famous latterday composition, a tender ballad of love that he’s somehow succeeded in transforming into something weirdly menacing.”

16. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

17. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

People have been complaining about Dylan's voice, etc... for decades, in every permutation possible. It's boring. It's been said before. If you don't get him you don't. That doesn't make anyone wrong, but the same comments over and over might make one appear tedious.

Spadeygrove, enro99, willwin and 3 others like this.
  18. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Not as tedious as your posts in this thread telling others what to think and that they “don’t get him”.

19. Graham

Graham Senior Member

20. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Nasty

Pussycat likes this.
  21. wabrit

wabrit from gardens where we feel secure

That's because (a) its Alex Petridis, (b) it's not rap.

mark ab likes this.
  22. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

Ah well my comment wasn't personal. If you'd like to take it that way there's nothing I can do about it.

Jack likes this.
  23. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

mark ab and DTK like this.
  24. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

right in one way 'as in sentiment', but wrong as Skynyrd sang '' Southern Man, don't need him around anyhow''

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Alex Pedtridis is an intelligent and fun music writer and he doesn't have a "rap" bias. His description of Bob, his concerts, and his hardcore fans, is spot on and he doesn't really take sides.

bobcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.