Michael Hutchence. Largely forgotten?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think one of the big things that folks overlook with Achtung Baby (and I am a U2 fan, so don't misinterpret me here) the production by Lanois and Eno is really what lifts the album above the heap. The songs are fairly typical U2 songs.

2. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Will that be all ?

D.D.

3. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

You tell me. You're the one hanging out in a thread talking smack about a band you supposedly don't seem to care much about. Why were you here again?

4. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

We've already gotten rid of two trolls. Just waiting on a third to finally piss off. It'll never cease to amaze me how people will expend so much energy and time on something they don't think much of. If I don't like a band, I wouldn't even bother posting in a thread about them, as it wouldn't even be worth my time to comment on it. Some people though, it appears have nothing better to do.​

Jmac1979 likes this.
  5. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I thought she was alright - no dismissing here. Hell, if she sticks around for a bit, maybe she can get a crack at fronting INXS. She oughta be coming up on the list any time now.

D.D.

sunspot42 and DesertHermit like this.
  6. Fuzzbee

Fuzzbee Forum Resident

And it doesn't even include earlier hits such as "The One Thing" and "Don't Change" which are great songs.

blutiga likes this.
  7. Fuzzbee

Fuzzbee Forum Resident

oops I pretty much just said the same thing sorry

8. mark winstanley

I didn't even know they were still trying ....
    She ain't leaving Neil's side ... and that makes me happy too ... good people those two

Rocketdog likes this.
  9. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I totally agree about Lanois and Eno pushing U2 to produce such a good album. Hell Eno does this a LOT with artists. James’s album Laid is what it is because of the part Eno played, they’ll be the first to admit that.
    However Edge really pushes himself with that album, and I think the best lyrics Bono wrote consistently on albums where on Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. And lyrically they are both quite different. It’s was their best era in my opinion, and a big part of that was their own.

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

Yea, like I say I wasn't knocking the band. My favourite period is Boy To Unforgettable fire, but Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are beyond argument brilliant albums

Silverwolf likes this.
  11. Silverwolf

Didn’t think you were knocking them :)

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yup. I don't think U2 makes it to the end of the 80's without Eno and Lanois. It's not coincidence that their three biggest records were all done with them.

13. mark winstanley

cool, people seem to misunderstand my statements sometimes lol

14. Silverwolf

I think that’s a negative way at looking at it to be honest - if you were in a band on the verge of potential massive success, but wanted to maintain your musical integrity and push yourselves to the limit, wouldn’t you employ the likes of Eno given the chance to draw out the best of yourselves to do that? I don’t think they were exactly struggling and needed bailing out, I think it was a shrewd artistic move on their part, and it paid off massively. I think they knew their best work was on its way, and they did everything they could to achieve it. That’s actually part of the ‘talent’ they had back then, to be able to see that and do something about about it. That’s just my opinion though - maybe some U2 history I don’t know about suggests I’m wrong.
    Sorry I don’t want to turn this into a U2 thread (although this bit has had some friendly disagreements without insults, so why not!)

15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Gravity's did get some radio airplay with Everybody Lay Down which charted high on rock radio, but it didn't stay around long. I thought it was a shame Innamorata didn't get better distribution, "Strawberry Wine" could've been a comeback hit for her if the motions had been right, I remember VH1 played it for a week or so and remember people saying they liked it, but it was on a tiny label that specialized in "hasbeen" artists (they were also releasing new music by REO Speedwagon, Styx, Loverboy and tons of hair bands) so it couldn't catch a break.

16. mark winstanley

Yea, it's a shame. In spite of them not getting much cred from most folks, I reckon they were great. Neil has a nice original approach to guitar, and Pat has possibly the best female rock voice I ever heard...... and more importantly, great songs

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

So I gave Underneath The Colours a listen today, and it's an excellent album.
    No songs I dislike. I grew up with Stay Young and Underneath The Colours, but the last track "Just To Learn Again" really stood out as a great track.

statcat likes this.
  18. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Which 3 would those be?

19. walrus

Joshua Tree, Achtung, and ATYCLB. Not arguing the latter is one of their three best, but commercially I feel like those are probably the 3 most successful?

20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Yes. I’m not sure that the last one is one of their 3 biggest, but if you bring numbers in, I’m not going to argue.

21. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Live Baby Live the Wembley concert was 28 years ago today

[​IMG]

22. walrus

Honestly I don’t know which one would top it. Unforgettable Fire and War were successful, but they weren’t superstars yet. They blew up in ‘87, but Rattle & Hum, Zooropa and Pop weren’t as successful as ATYCLB. But I don’t judge entirely by sales or chart positions, I’m just generalizing here. (And also factoring worldwide impact, not just US)

23. walrus

That film was so good, and the album so bad. Wish I could get the film in HD. David Mallet was a wonderful director.

mark winstanley and Rocketdog like this.
  24. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

You may be right as I think it through. It was very big when it came out. Seems to have lacked staying power since then. Not sure why.

25. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

To me, ATYCLB was the end of my interest in U2, but it was a huge comeback and gave them the injection for the 00s needed like Achtung Baby did for the 90s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.