Johnny Marr: post-Smiths favourites?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MitchLT, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show Thread Starter

Apart from a few Electronic tracks and Modest Mouse albums, I really haven’t got a clue about solo/post-Smiths Johnny Marr material.

I have tons of Morrissey and I’m sure Marr has plenty for great collaborations amongst his own solo stuff, so:

What are your favourite 10/15 bits of post-Smiths Marr music?

Off the top of my head he’s worked with Bernard Sumner, Modest Mouse, Cribs, and more I assume. He’s done some soundtrack stuff too..

Also- great clip here, this is what got him back on my radar:

2. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Nice Thread , OP! :righton:

I favor his incarnation w/Zak Starkey (drums/Ringo's son. This was before his time w/Oasis)
    & bassist, Alonza Bevan (Kula Shaker) - Johnny M. also worked w/Oasis on Heathen Chemistry - it's in liner notes/not on Wickipedia,
    as well as performing Champagne Supernova
    w/them @ Barrowlands (10 Years of Noise & Confusion). On high-grade bootlegs, both CD & DVD.

Johnny Marr & The Healers:
    1 release (2000): Boomslang

I also think his Call The Comet (2018) is best solo work, to date.
    Enjoy the Japan-only bonus track, Jeopardy, so much, it was worth parting w/the additional $ for that version!

:edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs:

Jeopardy
    Oasis - Champagne Supernova (with Johnny Marr)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  3. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

The album "The Messenger" is very good start to finish. "New Town Velocity" is probably my favorite song on it.

4. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

5. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

This song above.

I don’t even own any Smiths material. This song should have been a global smash commercial hit.

MitchLT and georgespigott like this.
  6. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

I always thought this song was pretty good:

georgespigott likes this.
  7. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

8. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

9. I've come to really like his solo work and also the song he did with Neil Finn's 7 Worlds Collide. It's a very strong late-career surge for Johnny Marr.

10. Turk Thrust

11. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

His last three solo albums - The Messenger, Playland and Call The Comet - have all been pretty solid start to finish, and some of my favorite things he's ever done. Particularly Playland, which was one of my Top 5 albums of 2014.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  12. MitchLT

Nice replies so far folks... but:

Gimme a list of your favourite tunes- I want to make a Spotify playlist first!

Probably I’ll start with Easy Money, some happy memories associated with that one

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  13. Look just above. Those two with Neil Finn are spectacularly good (although the mastering of the Crowded House is a bit of an assault on the ears).

MitchLT likes this.
  14. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

All of his solo albums are great. It's really odd that he didn't release his first until 2013. But his releases have been consistent and frequent since. I'd say the first is the best, but there isn't a much of step down. It's definitely not The Smiths, but you still get that Smith's guitar sound.

MitchLT likes this.
  15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I was highly disappointed with The Messenger - he is such a great and amazing guitarist and shouldn't be playing such silly pop type music - the tune - "Generate! Generate!" - horrible.

Hopefully he will mature and produce some better work.

16. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Top thread.

Big Smiths fan but have not looked into his solo stuff etc. This thread gives me some pointers.

Modest Mouse are just ok for me. I remember someone telling me Marr was in the band and when I first heard Float On, with that sweet guitar riff, I said to myself "yep, THATS gotta be Johnny f**kin Marr right there!" :agree:.

Alas, I believe he was not in the group at that time, however.

Really been enjoying his interviews though. Seems like a really decent bloke. I havent heard a bad word about him.

LilacTeardrop and MitchLT like this.
  17. MitchLT

Ok, 37mins so far and collaborative, if anyone out there is on Spotify:

Easy Money, a playlist by mitchellow on Spotify

Sure to add some Modest Mouse once I find out exactly what he’s on. I have ‘We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank’

theMess likes this.
  18. MitchLT

Was just going to check that, as Float On is my favourite from them. I think he joined just after for one or two albums..the one I stated above is great tho

Dukes Travels likes this.
  19. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

20. Turk Thrust

One of his biggest hits...

21. Dukes Travels

Man I had no idea. Love that song. I think it was on her Electric Landlady album? A great record. I played that a lot in the 90s.

Turk Thrust likes this.
  22. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

23. Turk Thrust

Yeah, he has songwriting credits on a couple of her other albums from that time as well.

Dukes Travels likes this.
  24. Dukes Travels

90's haircut in the 80s. What a guy. Always ahead of them. :D

theMess, AlienRendel and MitchLT like this.
  25. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

I love the 3 solo albums (some great b-sides from those singles as well), with Call The Comet being my favorite. I think one of his most overlooked works is the Twisted Tenderness album by Electronic. It's way more of a rock-guitar record than the previous Electronic records. The singles "Vivid" and "Late At Night" are great and "Prodigal Son" is one of the heaviest things he's ever done.

Pop_Zeus, scotti and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.