Complete Buddy Holly?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Check Discogs... there are currently a few copies for sale there.

- Kevin

2. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

3. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I found a VG decca set a few months ago....I am not a vinyl guy but I thought at some point in the future I would attempt a needle-drop....I'm not the most technically proficient person but this box is beautiful....the book seems to be almost like rice paper.

Jimmy B., jricc and Rick Bartlett like this.
  4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

At this point in time, that is probably the best way to get the best audio sound for a (use it loosely) 'Complete' set.
    I wouldn't be putting my faith in 'Universal' being bothered or interested in such an endeavor.
    The days of the mighty boxset are just about done, now that the masters have been 'consumed' by
    these large corporations.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  5. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

hey
    have you compared and still confident that the 6 lp mca collection has a better sound than the complete NFA set on hip-o-select cd set ?

6. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I play these two collections a few times a year:

1. From the original master tapes (MCAD 5540 JP for US)
    2. The budddy holly collection (mcad2 10883)

Am I missing anything essential?

jricc likes this.
  7. jricc

jricc Senior Member

IMHO. The Apartment Tapes are essential. They are included on Down the Line - Rarities Collection.
    Also, For the First Time Anywhere cd. Mastered by our Host

8. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I found a 1 d.v.d. & 1 c.d. package titled THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY" I believe and it had the complete ED SULLIVAN SHOW appearances....the c.d. was called "20 greatest hits" and it's worth tracking down this package....beautifully packaged too!

9. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

I've always loved Buddy's recordings. When the Not Fade Away collection came out I had to get it. It is a great set. The only problem I have with it is that it's chronological. I'd much rather have had the masters in order and then a disc or two of alternates and then a couple more discs of the apartment tapes.

croquetlawns and jricc like this.
  10. jricc

jricc Senior Member

While I have the Memorial Collection, Down the Line Rarities, and the MCA Buddy Holly Collection dbl, I recently picked this up for $12:

https://www.amazon.com/Rave-Very-Bu...ds=buddy+holly&qid=1584895506&s=music&sr=1-18.
    This collection is very good with a lot of stuff not on any of the above collections. Sound is good. But! They clipped the first few notes of That'll Be the Day. Other than that miscue, there is a lot of good, lesser known BH on these 3 discs.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. fvenom21

fvenom21 Active Member

Just like the footage of Buddy on The American Bandstand. I think a private collector made a firey offer!

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  12. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

This was just about my only complaint too. When I burned this set to my computer, I re-sequenced as "Masters", "Alternates", "Early (Buddy & Bob) Recordings", "The Apartment Demos" and "Dubbed Apartment Demos" - much more listenable this way..

Hep Alien, Ellen1014 and croquetlawns like this.
  13. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That sounds like a good listen- I might do the same!

14. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Damn, this survived on videotape??
    Wow, I’m blown away!
    Beave

croquetlawns and Rick Bartlett like this.
  15. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

And you said this almost 3 years ago!
    Indeed, start scarfing up what you want now cause it’s never going to be reissued. beave

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  16. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I just recieved the For The First Time Anywhere CD I got on ebay. Is it just me or does it not sound quite as good as From The Original Master Tapes? It might just be the sources for the album, but the difference between, for example, the 2 versions of Maybe Baby on the 2 CDs is drastic. The unreleased version sounds really rough (Especially Buddy's vocal). Tne final version is so much better sound-wise, a lot more pleasant to listen to.

Are there multiple masterings of this album? Mine is MCAD-30148, copyright date 1983 (It doesn't mention anything on the mastering but our host does write the liner notes.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Both are European public-domain releases that had no access to the original masters.

18. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

Maybe Baby was recorded twice - first version in Clovis (March '57), which normally really nailed recording Buddy, but this version was indeed a bit rough and perhaps why Petty recorded it again while Buddy was on the road in Oklahoma September 1957.

A Local Bloke and croquetlawns like this.
  19. Monophonic9

Monophonic9 Forum Resident

This American Bandstand of Buddy footage exists?