2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Not long ago there was the presentation at Abbey Road where they (RTB book authors?) presented spectral extraction of She Loves You lead guitar (turned out to be Sie Leibt Dich lead guitar in the end).
    When the news of the mystery vinyl box set first emerged few months ago I was speculating that it might be a singles collection with all the songs remixed and that the lead guitar extraction might come from the project.
    But few people argued quite reasonably, why limit such an extensive remix project to a vinyl box set? So who knows...

jmxw, Tommyboy and Gila like this.
  2. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

Meh, this certainly is not earthshaking for me, 45 singles on vinyl. I view it as a novelty/curiosity for "collectors". If cheap enough I would take a whack at it so it could sit nicely on a shelf, but I'm certainly not going to play them. No way I would pay hundreds of $$. Already have the CD singles box and the CD EP box. Those are neat little packages I rarely play, but if I do a bit more convenient and they look great imo. Already bought the Mono Masters LP and the Red and Blue AAA LPs.
    Looking forward to a slam bang Abbey Road set instead! Give me meat and potatoes--this is more like a fancy tiny little appetizer in one of those fancy restaurants which is both overpriced and insubstantial.

SgtPepperman1953 likes this.
  3. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

I saw one a couple of weeks ago at A Manchester record fair at £35, in good nick but I wouldn't go more than £25. I don't have one. I bought a copy when it first came out but mine is a black label one.

4. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Are we talking PPM or LMD here?

5. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Please Please Me.

FJFP likes this.
  6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I am sure this set will appeal to some bestle fans. So i am happy for them to get some good vinyl.

We all collect different things. I collect different versions/mixes. Others collect different pressings. Some are in it for the sleeves etc etc etc. Good thing there is something for everyone. It is a good time to be a Beatles fan.

aina likes this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Come on Pete, stop pretending you live in Denmark. ;)

Lost In The Flood and planckera like this.
  8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

:winkgrin:

Damn me posting from my iphone.

NumberEight likes this.
  9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Well, you’re in luck, then. How much will you give me for my original UK Love Me Do single ? I love small fortunes, me.

ARK likes this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Also, my set (black box) is one of those that has I’ve Had Enough/Wings as the b-side to Get Back, owing to a very similar matrix number.

Dinstun likes this.
  11. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I must be missing something but I've never understood what this thread was about - even page one doesn't explain anything and I don't want to wade through 56 more pages. And the change of title seems to confuse me more.

So, is there an actual box set coming out at some stage or is this one of those "what if" threads?
    And will it consist of Beatles' singles?
    And will it be vinyl or CD or both?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    lightbulb and Shaker Steve like this.
  12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I wouldn't expect new remixes, or any kind of significant, detailed work going into an oh-by-the-way release for the Christmas market. It seems to me that Apple is putting its eggs in the Super Deluxe album reissue basket; these vinyl sets, like the recent Christmas records, are a kind of side dish. They're not going to sneak out a catalog remix, "Carnival of Light," or a box set of complete concert DVDs in a comparatively low-profile release.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

oh yea!

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  14. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I disagree, I think they will be remixed, maybe to reappear on a remixed Past Masters or singles package(we know 1 has been remixed in 2015)

15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

That single "Penny Lane/Strawbetc"

I found one wayyyy back at a jumble sale with a pic sleeve, wow yeah. 50p or thereabouts which was pricey for a jumble sale but hey.

I found another one recently, £2 or so, be rude not to.

I have seen a few in between time, checked most, and all of them have been "G/G" stamped.

That might be interesting for some of you.

16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

A winter release has been hinted at for weeks, then seemingly accurate info leaked:

fogalu likes this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks Onder. Much appreciated. I have a few questions.

Is this the process called de-mixing and is James Clarke at Abbey Road Studios the so called guru of this?

One of the reasons why I ask is, I picked up Woodstock 3 on vinyl yesterday and there is a Blood Sweat & Tears performance on the LP that was de-mixed by Clarke. It must have been sourced from one of the mono PA tapes. Source aside, it actually sounded quite good. Perhaps, Abbey Road has gotten it to a point where spectral editing can be used on tracks like Love Me Do to get a professional sounding stereo mix.

How would you be able to get She Loves You to sound decent using the spectral editing process, considering the numerous amount of edits and changes in sound/EQ?

18. Well, the original Love Me Do in NM condition is hard to find!!!

Man at C&A and FJFP like this.
  19. As with anything, it depends on the condition!

20. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I'm interested to see what the box looks like. I liked the old Blue Box design with autographs. IMHO that has yet to be topped.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  21. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I could actually get behind that, but I'd miss those 22 extra songs.

22. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

If they do come up with decent sounding spectral remixes where else could they release it?

This sounds like the best way to get the singles on vinyl available to the public again.

I don't think any new compilations are on the horizon.

The Red album is due to be re released in January according to Record Collector so maybe the first release of the spectral remix will be in the singles box with the Red album remix to follow.

23. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

A deluxe edition for the first two albums would be the ideal release for introducing demix remixes. A vinyl singles box would only feature eight(?) songs needing such treatment.

Miller92473 and Monasmee like this.
  24. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I think there's only 4 songs where no stereo mix is possible. The first and fourth singles

25. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

True. I was wondering though if they would want to demix the twin track recordings to make better stereo mixes. This would be for the second and third singles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.