Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (Mofi Ultradisc One-Step 45rpm 2LP vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DotKom11, May 15, 2019.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Did you get it? yet?

2. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Can you order this in the UK?
    Here’s
    Gary

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Price needs to come down from £50. I have a plum original but would have been tempted if it was say £30.

4. Classicrock

I really don't see this many copies being an instant sell out.

5. Classicrock

You can reserve a copy at Diverse Vinyl (this may depend on their allocation) or direct from Music Direct in USA. Buying in UK actually works out marginally cheaper once you pay customs, VAT and carriage for an import.

6. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Don't have the faith in MoFi to produce a record worthy of the price, based on recent issues in this line. Maybe they forgot how to press records and how to present them.

At price point they could be, should be getting things close to perfect with every pressing. If not at least engaging with the customer to correct those issues!

You can guess, I voted no, that's despite my interest in this title. Had they done a good job on the Gaye title or dealt with the issues for a customer I'd have been in a long time back!

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

First of all they did do a good job on the Marvin Gaye title. You’re absolutely wrong on that count.

Additionally MoFi does not press the records. RTI does. Get your facts straight and stop whining.

FashionBoy, Jbird, teag and 2 others like this.
  8. Gordon Johnson

Ha ha, the Marvin Gaye pressing is suspect. Both in its presentation and the vinyl itself.

It's a MoFi record, they need to man up and take the responsibility for it regardless as to who presses the album or makes up the boxes etc!

As I put the cash up for a copy I'll take that as my "right" to say how I found it and it was junk [hence the return] and the replacement was barely better. If this is the best MoFi can put out maybe they should go the way of Classic!
    So as can be seen, stating the facts is far from whining.

9. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Been in the market for this title. What exactly were the issues you found?

10. Gordon Johnson

Jimi Hendrix was such a bad tenant, Ringo evicted him

The record was highly recommended to me from a US connection. I missed it on issue and had to source it from a third party, Amazon US.

The first set had a dished 2nd record. So obvious that a blind person would have been aware of it! How that got out as a saleable item beggar's belief but for a flagship high price point set?!!!! One side was really unplayable, or at least unlistenable. Made the set junk as it was not fit for its intended use.

Amazon [bless them] had no problem in resending a replacement and refunding the return cost. MoFi just didn't want to know as I bought third party. I only wanted a replacement 2nd disc, no big deal, well not for me anyway.

2nd set arrives a week later. The good news was, side one is as quiet as I ever heard a record. But that 1st disc is slightly off centre and there are two marks on side one [that do not impact playback], so visually not good. Both disc's have a slight ride on the outer rim, probably due to slight dishing [I never checked]. Both disc's play ok despite these faults of a costly record.

The inner sleeves on the first set were fine while the replacement set look scruffy and display the obvious lack of care and attention these records really demand.

Do I as a customer take a chance to import Mofi product? Nope, I have more interesting ways of wasting money that involve fun, beer and live music :)

11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My biggest problem with this great, great album in recent years is a struggle to balance a continuing immersion in these songs, in all of their multiple formats and proliferating variations, with the ever-encroaching threat of losing any semblance of fresh, open responses to the music due to overexposure. When it comes to BOTT, I'm becoming like the poor schmuck who innocently overindulged in Classic Rock radio back in the day and can no longer experience an iota of joy listening to "Stairway to Heaven" for the 400th time.

These days I frequently need to take one step back from Blood On the Tracks, not hope that an unprecedentedly and incredibly refined One Step audiophile presentation is somehow going to make it possible to continue chasing the dragon. Which is why I'm a big n-o on this one.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    OptimisticGoat and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

As soon as someone actually hears this can you please post your impressions?

I had the regular MOFI 33rpm from some years back and while I thought it was good, I still preferred my US Columbia originals and ending up selling the MOFI.

But...Blood On The Tracks is among my all-time favorite albums, so I still have interest in what MOFI might be able to do. I was and still am seriously impressed with MOFI's 45 rpm editions of Forever Changes and Surrealistic Pillow, a bit less so for Bridge Over Troubled Water (but still like it a lot) so hope springs eternal...

Cardanken likes this.
  13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Good! Please spend more time doing those interesting things, wasting your money, and stop the incessant posting babbling.

FashionBoy likes this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

Ha ha, Jimi gets everywhere!

Wrong quote as is obvious, hope you enjoyed it none the less! It was in fact [as most here will instantly know] a reply to the previous post from @jlf

Unlikely to waste my time or money with MoFi that's for sure.

I'm more than happy for anyone to live in ignorance, just don't read some folks actual experience with these records if it bothers you that much @teag Maybe try posting a comment of worth at some point too :agree:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Not sure if you have done other 1-Steps, but they are usually sold out by the release date or shortly thereafter.

16. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

$125 is just too rich. I'd be better off gambling on the RSD test pressing.

17. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

It’s not the same recording and it’s always a risk.

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You’re going to end up paying around the same price if you buy the test pressing from an EBay or Discogs seller. Not only that, it was poorly pressed.

And if you find one in the wild, I’m sure your local seller will inflate the price.

CBackley likes this.
  19. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

import the RSD one from the EU. Different pressing plant (Pallas?). Mine was flat and perfect. Has "made in the EU" on the back.

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No same plant MPO

CBackley likes this.
  21. Lemon Curry

That's why I said "gambling".

Either way, it's a lot for a record.

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, indeed.

23. Lemon Curry

There was a SHF thread a few days after RSD where EU vs US buyers could state whether their pressings were good or bad. The US result was kinda shaky, but the EU side was much better. If they came from the same plant, maybe they came from different batches???

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Perhaps. It seems that way, but I don’t trust MPO. Like you said, it will be a gamble. A worthy one.

FashionBoy likes this.
  25. Lemon Curry

My current strategy was to wait for HD Tracks :)

Tommyboy likes this.