2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I have them too. The EP set is one of my favourite Beatles product. Great sound and presentation, and they are a good alternative when you have just around 10 minutes to spare.

The singles box is hit or miss IMO. Some tracks sound very good, others not so much. And many of the covers are awful.

By the way, both sets can still be bought at good prices.

2. bward

bward Senior Member

mrjinks likes this.
  3. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

I have both the CD boxes but its been awhile since I played them. Do both of those contain the original mono mixes that were then used in the later Mono box, or were these different mono mixes? I'm not remembering how that went.

4. IIRC that box set was released in 1982, but I remember it available in stores through the mid 1990's. Still, as you say even that was a while back.

5. A well respected man

Same mono mixes, but different EQ/mastering.
    And of course, stereo mixes for the last few singles.

The MMT EP includes mono and stereo, and there's also a bonus stereo EP.

longdist01 and KarlFarbman like this.
  6. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

Ok, thanks that's what I figured and yes, the later ones were stereo. So the CD singles box was pretty much a digital clone of the 82 Vinyl Singles Box Set or were there any differences there? I never got the vinyl set. I guess it would be nice to have a comprehensive rehash of the history of these Beatles singles now that we know these new ones are coming out, lol.

7. A well respected man

Both the singles and EP CD sets replicated the 80s vinyl sets, yes.

KarlFarbman likes this.
  8. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

One difference was that the vinyl EP box had the stereo Magical Mystery Tour double EP but not the mono version. The CD box EP was two discs, one for the stereo EP and one for the mono.

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That was the big draw for me when I got them. The Beatles in MONO, which were not available in CD form anywhere else at the time... [long before 2009, this was....]

10. A well respected man

And I have to say I prefer the mastering of some songs over the 09 mono box. They generally have more punch. The EP box has my favourite version of She Loves You, for example.

I seem to recall @slane had a list of his favourite sources for the singles songs (singles set, EP set, 09 remasters...), it was a good guide. Maybe he can share it again in this thread.

Texastoyz, longdist01 and jmxw like this.
  11. ^^^^ this exactly It’s the same as when folks say; “we already have this or that so why release it “ when they are referring to bootlegs. Not everyone has every Bootleg and that should never be a factor with official releases.

Not everyone has Beatles singles so why not make them available. Many other bands and labels have issued single sets over the past several years. Kinks singles and EPs come out every RSD

12. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

The only way I could see a singles boxset being useless now would be if a singles box had already come out in the past decade. If we'd had this done in 2010, this would be useless. But like someone mentioned upthread, we haven't had a singles box in decades. Does it appeal to a limited market? Yes. Has this market been overflooded with this product? NO!

13. And IIRC, at least for the EP vinyl reissue set, the EPs were from the original stampers.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Mazzy, it’s time to make another video.

Mazzy likes this.
  15. A well respected man

I wouldn't know, I only have the CD versions.
    Another thing I recall: in the bonus stereo EP (it contains 4 stereo mixes which were unreleased at the time of the vinyl release, 1981) there is a version of She's A Woman that is unique for something. It has a count-in or something like that. I'll have to check at home.

Colinjpush likes this.
  16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Yes, it's a count-in.

17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Was the "we got a song and an instrumental" version used in the anthology?

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Having a 45 day is one of my favorite things in the world.

plentyofjamjars67 and FJFP like this.
  19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Also, All You Need Is Love goes on a few seconds longer. You can actually hear the tape cut off at the end on the 3" CD, whereas on the mono MMT CD, it fades before that point.

Gila and A well respected man like this.
  20. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

That's take 7, and no, it wasn't.

21. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

If there is a singles box they better use the mastering approach they used on the mono box. Peak limiting is a no-no for me

22. You know I get snarky as hell and I admit over the top occasionally . I’ll wait for this set to come out before I look up the camera :tiphat: I’m a completist so I’m already in.

I get it’s not for everyone, but why do folks berate it if it’s not their thing ? There’s plenty of music in various formats to buy other than these packages. So move on.

23. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Original mix, mono, stereo when appropriate, original pictute sleeves, AAA, quality box to hold them. Oh and this may get me killed, but I wouldn't mind colored vinyl for all. If it is like this colored or not, I'm in. Remix, digital, cheap this and that, not going to bother.

supermd and jamiesjamies like this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

o_O

Mazzy likes this.
  25. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

One box to fit them all
    One slipmat to hold them
    One turntable with cartridge bright
    That in the darkness plays them
    :hide: