Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Given the current circumstances, I imagine it is going to be difficult for them to paper this show now. There are oodles of $450 seats available, and we know the Pits are not sold out either. There are also lots of available lower-level bowl seats:

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/the-rolling-stones-no-filter-2019-tour/event/1B0056AFDC07941E

I Imagine they will be doing ticket upgrades for this show, so those in the upper decks will get moved down. Not sure whether it would be better to go early to the show -- would they give out the best upgrades first, or are they going to upgrade based on what tickets you already hold (so more distant $450s go closest, then $350s get the next best seats, etc.)?

2. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I voted for Bitch, one of my all time favorite songs.

Fletch, j3brow, The MEZ and 1 other person like this.
  3. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

For New Orleans and Baton Rouge, this storm has become a massive dud, none of the expected rain has materialized.

Good news and let's hope it stays this way.

4. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

This boomer hasn't been to a big stadium show in a very long time - though I'm slated to see Elton and The Who at the new, smaller Chase Center in San Francisco...can't wait.

I'm totally uninformed regarding the best way to get a good price on a ticket. Befuddled as to why there's so many ticket outlets (anyone?) -- though I sense my scalp is at risk.

Can anyone recommend a strategy for getting a reasonably priced ticket for San Jose on 8/18 - probably just myself this time?

Thanks,
    Audiohound

GoodKitty likes this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

2 thoughts:

1) No one should say "dodged a bullet" abt Louisiana after 2005.

2) I watched the storm all day and what struck me was that after landfall, the giant squall part couldn't seem to lift itself out of the pool, so to speak. Bands of rain reached up and inland, of course, but the stormy part seemed to insist on staying offshore. I think this is the birth of a new kind of system that is neither a hurricane nor a tropical storm.

3 - our third thought is that I thought of you while people fretted about another 2016 in Baton Rouge - an event I hadn't even heard of but which was quite a big deal down there.

I hope you are right!!!

mbrownp1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

I too continue to be absolutely mind-boggled at the complexity and ridiculous expen$e of these shows .... I've spent over $200 just a few times (David Gilmour, Rush .... uhhhh .... Grateful Dead NewYear '89) .... but usually it's the fact that I have to fly to see most big-names that hurts my wallet the most.

I'll never see the Stones.... I blew my best chance in 1998 ..... I bought a ticket in 2006 but then they cancelled. :(

7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

For anyone interested, TM has a front row single on Ronnie's side (Sec. D, Row 4, Seat 9) at standard price right now ($449.50 + fees) for the NO show. This seat is right behind Pit 1.

No sign of them flexing the floor yet, and they even have Platinums available -- which seems madness given the huge amount of unsold seats.

TonyCzar likes this.
  8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

To start, you should look for tickets in Santa Clara, because the Stones aren't going to be in San Jose on that day!

Why are there so many outlets? Demand!

Best way to get a ticket at a good price? Depends on your budget, preferred location and demand for the show. There is still unsold inventory, including Package (VIP) seats and Platinums (TM's own scalped tix), so don't expect bargains to appear on TM's page for the reasons given earlier. Packages and Platinums usually revert to normal price when the show date gets close (there is no exact formula for this), so, if you time it right, you can get close at normal price. However, there do not appear to be any lucrative package or Platinum seats still available, unless you want to be in the Pit (about $500+fees normal price). Of course, TM could be holding back inventory (for a number of reasons), so the current situation can always change. So, keep an eye on the TM buy page.

If the show does not sell out, your best option for a deal will be StubHub (as show time approaches, prices tend to tumble). With immediate ticket transfer you can even buy tickets from StubHub AFTER the doors have opened.

Of course, there can also be deals to be had in the car-park, but that comes with a risk that buying from StubHub (or TM Resale) avoids.

9. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

The Tuesday Chicago show went against your theory , which I agree is usually correct, the prices kept going up the day of the event. There's a major buzz for these shows , and disposable income.

10. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

they should play all of those anyway except Harlem shuffle.

Sean, Python, John Fell and 2 others like this.
  11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Chicago's a high-demand, big-money market (apparently, unlike New Orleans) when it comes to the Stones.

Meanwhile, rear-field GAs have dropped again ($145) for Philly. [Edit: And whoops. They're gone already. Looks like anything under $400 can still be sold...Edit: and above, I guess. $500s are appearing then disapppearing like broken traffic lights.]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

There are aisle seats in Sec. B, rows 13 and 16 for $449 for tonight available now. Keith's side, by the B-stage.

13. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Does that include a cigarette?

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

A couple days ago, you could get a ticket for 20 bucks. The lowest price on secondary market is now 90.

Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

By moving the show it meant that TM had to offer refunds, so why sell your ticket at a loss when you can get all your money back?

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I would guess that a lot of ticket fluctuation in NO was because of the weather. Buying a cheap ticket when the show was in doubt of even happening seemed the smarter thing to do.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

This would be the first-ever live performance of "Harlem Shuffle," would it not? I'd take it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Davido likes this.
  18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

played live 1989/1990

Chris Bernhardt, Sean, Carl80 and 3 others like this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm semi-surprised they've not touched it since 1990. Woulda thought they'd trotted it out occasionally since then!

Matthew Tate and twicks like this.
  20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Duh, how could I forget.

I was at the Columbus show in 2005 when they played "Sway" for the first time ever. Coulda knocked me over with a feather.

21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

So all those StubHub bargains were coming from inside the House?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Wait till the last minute. Start looking the week before the show. Check Ticketmaster first...if there's a decent number of unsold seats (which there very well may be), they'll have discounted them, scalper-free. Basically the new strategy is to sell as many tickets as the market will bear at exorbitant prices, and then quietly dump the rest at half that. Especially looking for a single ticket, you'll probably get lucky, since those are harder to sell. They also release blocks of tickets leading up to the show that were corporate holds, promo holds, whatever. usually at a discount.

Next, check Stubhub and Vivid Seats and the rest, expensive scalper tickets that aren't selling keep getting marked down until somebody bites, which, again, your odds are better if you're flying solo. Also check Craigslist, there's always real humans (not brokers) who end up with an extra ticket or two, particularly for shows with an older demographic like this one. (Sorry, but it's true) Sure, they may have paid $300 for it, but they'll take $150 the day of the show so they don't have to eat the entire cost.

Last resort, just head down to the venue with some cash, and find one on the street. The scalpers always send minions down to hawk remaining tickets, and they'll be more willing to deal the closer it gets to showtime (remember, there's also an opening act, so you really have until 8:30-ish, at least to get in the building).

Remember, there's 60,000+ seats at this show, and it's probably not sold out. You can find one below face value, it just takes some time.

FWIW, in Nashville in 2015, a week or two before the show, I got two tickets on the field (back half, but still on the field) for $100 with reduced fees, ($228 total for two) in what were $250 each when they went onsale. You can do it!

23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

As far as sellout status goes, Boston wasn't a sellout either, and the Stones play here on just about every tour.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I'm in the 2nd row Terrace about halfway back. Maybe I'll get to will call early and see what they can do. Maybe something in Handicapped opened also? Hmmm........ I remember going to see Motley's final tour and the Arena(next door venue) upgraded us to about 14th row side one section from parallel to stage. So damn close, thought I was in their laps the whole night.

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No, with sales for yesterday really sluggish, it was obvious that anyone wanting to sell on StubHub would have to take a bath (since you could still get l-o-t-s of official tix from TM). However, once they changed the date (again) that opened up the opportunity (if you were the original TM purchaser) to get you money back, hence all the $25 tix instantly disappearing -- unless the savvy quickly bought them and traded their own TM tix back for a full refund, thereby getting in for under face.

I've not been able to keep an eye on the seat map the last few hours, but I just looked, and a lot of floor seats have disappeared. I can't imagine Joe Public is snapping them up now at $449+fees, so maybe they have had to turn to sponsors, etc. to try to gets bums on seats. In any case, yes, I would be heading straight to ticket services to see what they can do for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.