Audio Note UK Phono SE signature Silver question*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jazz fan from Brazil, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazz fan from Brazil

Jazz fan from Brazil Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me the difference between the AudioNote Phono SE signature and AudioNote Phono SE signature Silver?

I’m deciding which one to buy... Is it worth the price difference?

Many thanks!

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I’ve owned the normal and the signature, but have never heard a silver signature. I’ll be curious as to what kind of answers you get. As I understand it the silver signature costs 2x as much as the signature, and hits a price point at which point you could get an M2 Phono and a P1SE signature.

Jazz fan from Brazil likes this.
  3. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I think the Silver version is also very new, so there's probably not many of them out in the wild.

4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

I guess there aren't many Oto SS around. The known advantages: a universally liked design in a small box and with premium electronics, including the best transformers.
    Cons: for the same price, one can buy level 2 amplifiers.
    I would like to compare it to the new Meishu silver which is roughly the same price

5. finn

finn Forum Resident

The Oto SE Silver Signature is a level 2 product so not the "Cons" you mention. If you read the owners manual. There are significant difference between this model and the Signature version and primarily it is the level of componentry used, caps and resistors and more importantly, the use of the UHiB output transformers and the C-Core mains transformer. There is a considerable difference in the sound of the amplifiers using the UHiB material in the outputs and that is really what you are paying for. Using this amp is going to be compromised if the rest of the system is not capable of showing the authority and control in the bass end of the music being reproduced so anything less than a pair of AN-E SPe HE speakers in a good room would not show it to its full potential. Using the 2 watt resistors and Kansei caps is a step up over the Signature version and again push the sound to the next level.
    As to whether it is better than a Meishu Silver, depends if you can live with the size of the Meishu, if you want to use higher quality 300b tubes, same old pros and cons. I do use UHiB output transformers in a pair of Quest Silvers and P4 Balanced mono's and they really are worth the premium if you can convince the factory to wind them for you. The bass end of a 300b tube can be mighty impressive in the right combination.

6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Well, you have not mentioned which AN product you are thinking about, when you ask about standard vs. Silver or Signature, vs. Silver Signature. "Phono SE" just means it is an integrated amp with a phono stage built-in and that the amplifier section is Single Ended, not Push-Pull. In every case, these are three levels of internal parts qualities that provides each upgrade with an absolutely stunning increase in the sound qualities of same product design, definitely worth the extra money if you have the money to spend.

I have compared many times with a few AN products. If I were to compare a lower model with Silver Signature parts, to the next higher model with only the standard parts, the lower model will ALWAYS be the way to go. Having the better parts delivers the sonic goods in spades! I am surprised no other manufacturers offer more than one version of their designs, for this reason.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

Finn and Warren, I really appreciate that you answer so many questions from us with great insight and kindness. Thank you!

8. Jazz fan from Brazil

Many thanks for all your answers!! The amp I mantion is the OTO and I’m looking to buy also a pair of AN-E SPe HE speakers to pair up. I have a Rega Planar 2 already as he main source (carbon capaule).

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You are contemplating very expensive silver wired Audio Note equipment and you think a Planar 2 is an adequate source? You would be better buying a TT2 or even TT3 or another fairly high end TT first.

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think with the Oto you should stop at Signature vs. Silver Signature. It’s a great pairing with the AN-E SPE HE’s, I can say from experience. If the upgrade bug strikes you and you start looking at Meishus/etc, consider Silver Signature versions.

11. HBA

HBA Well-Known Member

Knowing the Audio Note gears, I am not surprised if the Oto Silver Signature were on a completely different league compared to the Signature
    The different ( and much better) components make a huge sound improvement
    I agree that you should match it with the right speaker The An E Spe He is a right choice
    The Planar 2 is an outstanding TT by the price and you will get a very good performance when connected to the Oto Phono session.... for sure you can save budget and go for a better TT later on.... the Oto deserves it.... but it is not something so critical

12. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I don't know about that. It always pays to have some balance in one's components. Audio Note in particular is a big proponent of this with its Level ratings. You don't want to go to an extreme such as having Level 5 amps with Level 1 speakers.

In particular, the source is such a critical component that I would hate to see a significant compromise there. In my case, upgrading the turntable (not the arm or cartridge, just the table) to a Galibier Gavia was one of the biggest improvements I ever made. The change from my previous tables (TD-124 and VPI 19 Mk3) was truly qualitative, not just an incremental improvement. In the future, if I were ever to downsize my system, I would make lots of downgrades before I would consider a change in my turntable. By the same token, I think the Planar 2 would hold back the potential for musical enjoyment by an unacceptable degree.

Jazz fan from Brazil and dogilv like this.
  13. Jazz fan from Brazil

What turntable you’d recommend to pair up. Planar 6 or other?

Won’t do it just now otherwise my wife will kill me... it’s been alr alredy a hard sell :)

14. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I would consider picking up a new discontinued RP8 for $1995. I managed to grab an open box from Music Direct for even less and like it quite a bit more than my RP6 with Groovetracer subplatter. But you need to hurry as they are starting to sell out (none at Music Direct anymore). Or you can use your current table and wait for the deals on the RP10 once the P10 comes out. As to the OTO, follow others' advice on getting at least the OTO Signature. With the AN E's that will be a very nice system.

15. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

With the table it might be worth looking at the Audio Note TT1 or a second hand Systemdek IIx as it os what the TT1 is based on. The TT1 is actually quite affordable and was chosen by a Brit magazine as their best buy turntable 2 years in a row. But there are fine tables abound.

Most people can't afford to buy everything at once. So you have to stary somewhere. I prefer going with source first but I have been going in the reverse order myself depending on what deals come up. If you like the sound of the silver then go with what you have heard. The Sig will be better but my view is to buy what pleases you. There is always something better.

16. Jazz fan from Brazil

I finally got the Oto SE SS and AN SPe HE and some months after upgraded the table to a P10 with AN IQ3 MM. Sounds amazing!

Thinking now about upgrading the stylus to a MC and step-up. Which one do you think would ve better, AN S4 or S5? Which stylus would you pair up?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Morten Vest Hansen and NOS300B like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.