Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. darling

darling Senior Member

Haha... thank you - I'm happy that the box sold enough to make a second pressing worthwhile!

Much better to include the information, showing where else to find it, than not include it at all and pretend it doesn't exist.

siveld and Rick Bartlett like this.
  2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Thanks.In the Hank Thompsons second box there is more on the CDs then it is in the discography.That is a good thing.:D

melstapler likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I do not ordinarily post about shipping concerns, but as some have expressed anxiety about Amazon UK shipping of BF boxes, I will say that my Freddie King box (bargain priced) arrived with no damage. However, it was not well packaged

Years ago BF provided a special protective outer cardboard carton with each piece. I suppose that may have ended years ago, as I have not seen one in a long time, from any distributor

4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just followed suit, also entirely by accident of course. My finger slipped.

Really, I had held off for so long because songs about eternal damnation and dead mothers/children/soldiers have never been my thing. Still, their immaculate harmony and consistent level of quality are worth it even if I may skip a few tracks from Tragic Songs of Life and The Weapon of Prayer.

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Do Bear Family actually keep a record of how many pressings of every title they make?

melstapler likes this.
  6. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

What do you think? Bear Family is a business company, with proper offices and people who do a lot of paperwork...:o

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Haha, yeah Ok. Thanks Mr Mychael.

melstapler likes this.
  8. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

When I first acquired the 3 Buck Owens sets, I wished they had taken all the gospel, Christmas and Buckaroos recordings and put them in their own set; much like “Concepts.” After listening to all three sets start to finish I changed my mind and they all fit together so nicely. I am beginning to think if they had put everything that is in “Concepts” in recorded order in a regular set that things would make more sense and be more appealing.

9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

If Bear isn't afraid of having gospel in their sets, then they can do a third Connie Smith set, no? :wave:

sszorin, mdekoning and melstapler like this.
  10. GodBlessTinyTim

One thing I've always appreciated about Bear Family is how they divide their attention between the big names and the lesser-knowns. It would be great if they or another label could put together a CD by Tommy Strange. His rare 1967 album is a near-flawless slice of hardcore honky-tonk, full of original tunes worthy of Goerge Jones or Johnny Paycheck. Most of the covers show off his Louisiana roots with a bit of Rusty & Doug flair. The title track, "One More Time", had all the makings of a hit.

Tommy Strange - She Was Never Mine To Lose

The only widely available song by Strange is this earlier Lewis-style rocker which has appeared on numerous rockabilly comps.

Tommy Strange - Nervous And Shakin All Over

And just to drive home his versatility, here's a hard-to-classify instrumental from '64. At 0:48 he sounds like Floyd Cramer on crack before venturing into even weirder territory.

Tommy Strange - Purple Sunset

11. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

The Jimmie Driftwood Box followed by the Ella Mae Moore’s Box.

12. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Picked up the Ray Price box yesterday. Might be the last Bear Family box I was craving (unless they reissue the Porter Wagoner Thin Man set! Please???). I picked up the two one-disc Bakersfield comps and that might do it for me versus the upcoming box. Been really getting into their smaller sets, single-disc or otherwise. I love the boxes for artists I'm super-obsessed with (my collection includes, Lefty, Bob, George, Willie and Waylon, the Porter and Dolly box etc), but for a lot of artists these smaller sets are right up my alley.

Edited to add: After posting this I found a "new" Thin Man from West Plains set on Amazon, which lists as shipping from Amazon Global Store UK in 1 - 3 months. I kind of doubt the order will be fulfilled, but I went ahead and placed it anyways, just in case...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    The Killer, melstapler, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  13. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Who has the best pricing on the Ray Price Box? TIA

melstapler likes this.
  14. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The Driftwood set is awesome.

15. John Porcellino

I got mine from Amazon -- Import CDs was the best for awhile (about $200), but I was waiting for a discount code to show up before ordering. Eventually the Amazon price came down and matched Import CDs, so I jumped. Import CDs' packaging is better, but with Amazon I got it in two days and with these heavy boxes I've found the faster the transit time the better. It arrived in perfect condition.

16. GodBlessTinyTim

Do keep in mind those Other Side of Bakersfield CDs have a slightly different focus than the new box. Mainly upbeat hillbilly and rockabilly, and nothing later than '63. Still great collections, though.

melstapler and John Porcellino like this.
  17. John Porcellino

Come on, man! I'm trying to quit! :winkgrin:

18. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  19. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

PORTER WAGONER 'Thin Man from the West Plains' BCD-15499-4CD

MikeP5877 likes this.
  20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That usually changes every day. It is likely a used copy, which you should seriously consider. For used, try the big three sites, EBay, Discogs, and Amazon Marketplace. Used Bear Family sets are most often in perfect condition.

For new, try all of the Amazon Europe sites (UK, Germany, France, Italy) and importcds.com in the USA and don't forget County Sales

If you are not happy with current used or new prices, revisit those sites regularly until you find a good price

It is a superb set if you like vintage honky tonk music

DEAN OF ROCK and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  22. John Porcellino

Thanks for the link, but it's marked as "Currently on backorder." Bear Family lists it as deleted. I can find used copies, but would prefer new.

I have a lot of this stuff on other collections and (heresy?) prefer his later material, thus my holding out on the Thin Man set until it was too late.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I can understand prefering new, but most used copies of Bear Family boxes are typically in perfect condition and generally half the price.

Especially when an item is out of print, it is best to grab a used copy when offered at a good price. Not all dealers (in fact very few) try to gouge buyers by extremely high prices. I do not expect many of these to be repressed in this era of collapsing CD sales.

One advantage in buying used is this: Several collectors who I first contacted to buy a used BF set from have become very good long term friends, for over 20 years now.

John Porcellino likes this.
  24. Svein Arne

Video of the Bakersfield box:

25. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I love the look of that Bakersfield set and I did have it on pre-order but I'm just not convinced it's enough over all the Bakersfield stuff I've already got so I'm holding back for now, the new Fats set is still 'go' however.

RSteven likes this.