Breaking News : Johnny Clegg has died.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by culabula, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author. Thread Starter

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Not unexpected but still very sad news. RIP Johhny.

Greenalishi and Bebstrel like this.
  3. culabula

4. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I have stopped counting... :shake:

I first encountered Johnny Clegg´s music in the film "RAIN MAN". Lovely. R.I.P.

Greenalishi likes this.
  5. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Respect & love, Johnny.

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Sad news....didn't know of health issues.I buy any of his albums when they surface....not often on c.d. though I did find a cool packed live d.v.d. a few years ago.R.I.P. JOHNNY!!!

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Back in 1988, I went to see Robert Palmer with Johnny Clegg and Savuka opening in a mid sized theater in Chicago. It was standing room only but we got there early enough that we were able to walk right up to the front of the stage and didn't move for the rest of the night. I knew nothing of Johnny and the band but their performance was so energetic and joyful I literally could not believe what I was seeing. Just thinking about those 45 minutes or so now over 30 years lately still fills me with emotion. I've seen many people - legends even - perform in concert over the years but there was never any other show that struck me in quite the same way. It was a truly amazing performance that has stayed with me and will stay with me for the rest of my life.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

9. Bebstrel

Bebstrel Old-Timey Member

Thank you for the music, Johnny. :(

10. live evil

live evil Senior Member

I worked in a record store when the first 2 US albums by Juluka were released. We played them all the time.

RIP.

11. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Headlined over Springsteen on the Amnesty tour, if I recall correctly. RIP.

Bebstrel likes this.
  12. Anton D

Anton D Forum Resident

A fellow Johnny Clegg lover here.

Damn.

Greenalishi, DreamIsOver and Bebstrel like this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Very sad news. RIP

DreamIsOver likes this.
  14. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

It was the same thing for me when I saw him open for Steve Winwood in the '80's.....took my brother to see him a year later when he came back a year later, and have been a fan ever since!
    SO glad he was able to get one last EP out last year....the song with his son is particularly poignant.
    Rest well, Johnny.....and thank you!

Greenalishi, Jarleboy and DreamIsOver like this.
  15. synthpopfan

synthpopfan Well-Known Member

What an absolute talent and loss.

Thank you for your music Johnny.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I adored Juluka and Savuka in the '90s, and only later became aware of what an important inspiration he was in South Africa, bridging two races and cultures in a time of Apartheid. His music was of homeland and cultural pride, openness, and positiveness. Lost track of him in this century, until a friend at the BBC shared news about a new solo album he'd done: 2010's Human was getting some attention in the UK. His penultimate celebration.

I don't speak the language; I hold no currency; I am a foreign man surrounded by the sound.

But will never forget how many his passion and his energy reached.

live evil, Bebstrel and Jarleboy like this.
  17. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

That's a shame. He was such a positive force for music and humanity.

Greenalishi, Chris DeVoe and Bebstrel like this.
  18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

19. John54

John54 Senior Member

Rest in peace. I liked Scatterlings whether it was by Juluka or Savuka.

LoveYourLife and Jarleboy like this.
  20. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

I'm so sad to read this.

Was lucky enough to see Clegg live 3 times. First, opening for Tracy Chapman at SPAC summer 1986. (I may be wrong on the years, but close.) I knew a few of his songs from the radio. What a knockout performance, and every time I saw him he was fantastic.

Next time was the early 1990's at the Flynn Theater in Burlington VT. Might have been late 80's?

Then saw him fall 2016 in Montreal with my new girlfriend. She didn't know him at all. Wow wow wow what a great show!!! Before the show we were walking around behind the concert hall, middle of nowhere, and he approached from the other direction. All alone, just going for a walk before the show. I gave a nod but didn't intrude and he nodded back.

What great joy he brought to the stage. I wish his albums were easier to find.

rikki nadir and Jarleboy like this.
  21. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Another one gone. R.I.P.

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Was that the Vic Theater?

23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Just played the 12” 45 of that magnificent song.

Thanks, Johnny.

LoveYourLife and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Johnny's longtime manager Roddy Quin:

"It is with immense sadness that we confirm that Jonathan (Johnny) Clegg, OBE OIS, succumbed to pancreatic cancer at the age of 66 on the afternoon of 16 July 2019 at his family home in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Johnny leaves deep footprints in the hearts of every person that considers him/herself to be an African. He showed us what it was to assimilate to and embrace other cultures without losing your identity. An anthropologist that used his music to speak to every person. With his unique style of music he traversed cultural barriers like few others. In many of us he awakened awareness.

Johnny was born on 7 June 1953 in Bacup, Lancashire, England and moved to Johannesburg, South Africa with his Rhodesian mother when he was 6 years old. His exposure to Zulu migrant workers during adolescence introduced him to the culture and music. His involvement with black musicians often saw him arrested during Apartheid.

At the age of 17, together with Sipho Mchunu they formed their first band called Juluka. At the age of 33 in 1986, during the height of Apartheid, he partnered with Dudu Zulu to form his second inter-racial band called Savuka. Clegg also recorded several solo albums and enjoyed international success selling out concerts wherever he performed.

Apart from lecturing at the Universities of the Witwatersrand and Natal respectively, Johnny studied anthropology and combined his studies with music.

He was awarded by a number of local and international bodies for his contribution to music and society notably by the French Government in 1991 with a Knight of Arts and Letters, and in 2015 he was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire. In 2012 he received the Order of Ikhamanga from the South African government. He was awarded a number of Honorary doctorates by the Universities of the Witwatersrand (South Africa), KwaZulu-Natal (South Africa), Dartmouth College in the USA and the City University of New York.

He authored and published the book "UkuBuyisa Isidumbu" (1981, Ravan Press), and presented papers on "The Music of Zulu Immigrant Workers in Johannesburg" in 1981 at the Grahamstown International Library of African Music and "Towards an understanding of African Dance: The Zulu Isishameni Style" in 1982 at Rhodes University.

Johnny was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2015 but despite fighting cancer continued to tour and perform around the world to pay homage to his fans worldwide.

"I’m dealing with another parallel world that I work in with my diagnosis. Pancreatic cancer is lethal. There’s no way out of it." - J. Clegg

Johnny is survived by his wife of 31 years, Jenny and their two sons Jesse and Jaron.

His passing has left us numb and we request that the family's privacy be respected during this trying time.

The family will be holding a private funeral service and we ask you to please respect the families wishes.

There will be a service for public to pay their respects and the details hereof will be announced in due course."

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  25. culabula

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.