Marantz SA-10 CD/SACD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Mac, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

He name is Ken Ishiwata!

Bill Mac likes this.
  2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Congrats on the new gear. Are you using it as a DAC or just a stand alone SACD player?

Bill Mac likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

He did a find job with the SA-10!
    Thanks! As of right now just as a CD/SACD player.

noname74 likes this.
  4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Bill, mine just came in yesterday, all hooked up today, honestly I have just never heard a SACD/CD player like this one, and I have been using PS Audio's best, the Marantz is just superb in every way, I know you are enjoying yours. :righton:

Celticray, TheKevster, Cliff and 3 others like this.
  5. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I envy you guys. I have been reading about the SA-10 since MARANTZ announced its release and explained the technology behind it. Earlier this year I decided to upgrade my SACD player but the SA-10 was beyond my budget. Imstead, I almost bought a SA-KI Ruby but honestly, I didn't like the look of that one (including the signature and the fake ruby but mostly the small plastic buttons embedded in the display) so I saved some money and bought the SA-14S1 Special Ed. It looks and sounds gorgeous.

Bill Mac likes this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

warp2600 likes this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

The SA-14S1 SE looks like a real nice player! The small transport buttons on the display of the SA-10 don't really bother me. Although it would be cleaner without them. But I do prefer it to the transport button location on the SA-14S1. All a matter of preference and certainly no impact on SQ :).

Marantz US | SA-10
    Marantz US | SA-14S1

warp2600 likes this.
  8. Slippers-on

Where did you find a SA-14S1 in the States? Most of the discontinued Reference product's are impossible to find.

9. Slippers-on

I hope he left because he wanted retirement . Other wise SU is already showing they aren't to smart after all.

I did see the new team on the Marantz Japan site. Seems they had two guys to do what KI did.

Can you imagine what would happen if a company like Cambridge or even Levinson picked up KI? Boy...that would be something!

2channelforever and scobb like this.
  10. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I live in Hungary, Europe. My dealer got one (in my preferred Champagne color) from a distributor in Poland. Also, because I wanted the Special Edition, which I suppose was released later than the original SA-14S1, it pobably helped.

11. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Sadly one feels he was either pushed or there was going to be a fight for quality that was too hard for him to bother with after 40+ years! Good or bad I think companies just don’t want someone who knows more than they do being involved in a business these days!

TarnishedEars likes this.
  12. Slippers-on

Oh..I see. You won't find any in the States new..and if one is lucky he may find a used Marantz Reference on Audiogon or EBay. Most of the stuff on EBay is from Japan.

13. Slippers-on

Yep....seems they desire to save a few $$$ while believing they can do it better. Well they never do it better.

scobb likes this.
  14. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I find it odd. The U.S. Is huge with lots of stores, dealers and wharehouses. For example I regularly find still sealed LPs from the 70s and 80s there on eBay, titles that would be impossible to find still sealed in Europe (and those LPs were European imports in the U.S. back in the days). It seems that there are lots of new old stock stuff there.

15. Slippers-on

For discontinued Marantz Reference product's in the states? You'd have to be lucky to find NOS in the States. People either hate the distinctive sound of Marantz and moved it quickly or love it and hold on to it. I dont think its too hard to move used Marantz Reference amps in the States....theres about 2 Marantz Reference amps on Audiogon used right now, but they won't be there too long.

warp2600 likes this.
  16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It was not his choice to "retire."

17. Slippers-on

Well....we see how smart SU really are.

18. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity (not that I doubt you): How do we know this?

19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Direct communication with him.

20. Slippers-on

Really?! You communicated with bim? Is he going to continue in the business? Id be very interestes in future products tuned by him.

21. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

You talked to him?!? Did he give any details?

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

He stated he would like to continue in the business.

23. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

40 years redundancy would be worth a pretty penny so I’d hope he doesn’t “need” to work!

24. Slippers-on

Great! Can I kindly ask? How do you know him? Are you in the industry? If you dont feel comfortable answering I understand.

25. Slippers-on

I would assume " need" dosent fit into his future plans.

warp2600 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.