Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah. I’m sorry but the Much loved “inflation calculator” may seem Like Math, but it’s not real-world correct.

I always read how some turntable I bought for $150 in 1978 is equivalent to spending $500 dollars
    Today. No. It was
    Like spending $150. - Fairly reasonable cheap
    Amount. Math may say the dollars were worth
    Less, but
    Common sense tells what the “feel” of an amount
    Was
    Like, and $150 back
    Then did not feel like spending $50o.

(I hate typing
    On
    My phone)

SandAndGlass and brownie61 like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not really. Cable prices haven't come down. Internet or cell phone prices haven't come down.

Concert prices haven't come down. Sports prices haven't come down.

Why would movies bring down their prices when no one else has?

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Here's what I picture by 2028 the last movie theater is closed now
    Regal Edwards was last hold out of the 20th century
    how people viewed movies
    Amc along with few others have created there own streaming service
    to view current movies at home.
    For one time fee.
    Which have been doing since 2026

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I wouldn't bring movie prices down to anything.

Let them price their movies wherever they wish. I could care less.

You are right, concert prices haven't gone down, that you ticket thieves.

But then, I refuse to paid stupid prices to hear a band. So, I no longer choose to attend rip off concerts.

To that end, I built an excellent HT and audio system.

I'm fine staying home and listening to music and watching my HT.

If I never saw another movie in a theater, I don't think I would feel that I was missing out on anything.

My point was very clear, movie prices are more than just a ticket, they are the price of concessions and everything else.

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

When there is no competition due to monopolies (or regional monopolies), you end up with a captive audience and high prices.

6. Oatsdad

But there are still plenty of products with prices that've gone up and up over the years - not just those with monopolies.

Anyway, it just seemed odd that the notion got put out there that movie theaters need to keep prices below inflation when so many other products don't...

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  8. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

^^ "Cats" just looks ridiculous.

sunspot42 and mrjinks like this.
  9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

It helps a bit to NOT sit on the floor. I tend to sit in a theater-provided chair when I go to the cinema, but to each their own.

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

mrjinks likes this.
  11. I'll be sure to buy a reverse-ticket that ensures I wont accidently end up in a theater that is showing this movie.

Jrr, sunspot42 and Deuce66 like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

Cats is a Musical, either you like it or you don't.

There is already a video of the play.

For the first time ever, an Andrew Lloyd Webber show has been specially filmed and made available on video. With a star cast including Elaine Paige and Sir John Mills, and its stunning production values, Cats will no doubt set a new standard for the filming of all future musicals. Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats, the most famous musical of all time, first exploded onto the West End stage in 1981. 'Memory', one of its many classic songs, became an instant worldwide hit. Since then Cats has smashed records and conquered the world. Using the latest technology, all the excitement, thrill, romance and intimacy of this theatrical legend has been captured on screen. Breathtaking visuals and full digital sound (that has been completely re-recorded with a seventy piece orchestra) will lead you deep into the mysterious world of Cats. Cats - as you'll never see it again - more intoxicating and magical than you could possibly imagine.

[​IMG]

So there already exists a definitive version of theis Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, as recorded on a theater stage, with an all star cast.

Do we need a questionable musical version?

In the upcoming movie Judi Dench has taken on the role of wise, respected cat leader Old Deuteronomy, originally played by Brian Blessed on the West End and Ken Page on Broadway and in the video.

Not too pleased about this?

13. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

World: "Sonic the Hedgehog is the worst CGI trailer in years."
    CATS: "Hold my milk dish."

Even Jennifer Hudson sounds pitchy.

sunspot42, Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I am a cat lover, but have never warmed up to Cats, the musical. I saw it on Broadway more than 30 years ago, and did not get it. I did not like the trailer. I find “realistic” CGI animation in general to be creepy and probably will not see this or the new Lion King. I loved the old classically animated Lion King, but find the new “realistic” one bizarre and creepy. Real animals don’t talk. Mr. Ed creeped me out too when I was a kid.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

I think that talking animals work better for children then subtitles.

I took my friend's three children to see it in Miami Beach more than 30-years ago. I positively hated the play. I didn't understand any bit of it. Just "cats" jumping around and singing to unfamiliar music.

Fast forward many years, I found the cassettes unopened in a used bin for $2 and bought the set. After listening to them for a while, I the music began to click for me.

Years later, I rented the filmed theatrical production on VHS tape and watched on my 40" TV.

At that point, everything "clicked". It is really an amusing play, BUT, you have to have an understanding of it going it or it will make no sense whatsoever.

With that in mind, I fail to understand how it got to be the #1 longest running Broadway play.

"The London production ran for 21 years (1981–2002; 8,949 performances) and the Broadway production ran for 18 years (1982–2000; 7,485 performances). The DVD production is amazing ona large screen TV and a good HT sound system.

brownie61 likes this.
  16. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Yes, I would agree with that. But I just don’t get Cats, the musical. I have been around cats my entire life and I just can’t make any connection between the personalities of the furry critters I’ve shared my home with since I was a child and the characters in this play. I was SO excited to see Cats on Broadway. I was so disappointed. Memory is a nice song. I don’t remember much more other than people crawling around in cat costumes in a very unconvincing manner.

17. SandAndGlass

That's what I'm telling you. You have to understand the music that is based on T.S. Eliot's poems, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, 1939 (T.S. Eliot's nickname was Old Possum).

Once you get to be familiar with and understand the music and they lyrics, then it all makes sense, otherwise...

Anyone considering the movie, if you are not familiar with the play, I recommend buying watching the DVD, a lot.

brownie61 likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

marmalade166 likes this.
  19. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I suppose this throws water all over the theory that Superhero Movie Fatigue has taken hold. It's not my favorite cinema trend, but I don't think that it's going away. Of course there will still be misfires.

20. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

No hint of a downturn at all, Spider-Man Far From Home will be the next one to cross the $1B mark.

Stormrider77 and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Who promoted that theory?

Some people keep claiming superhero fatigue will soon take place, but that's been in the "wishful thinking" category for years now!

There's been zero evidence that audiences are anywhere close to "superhero fatigue", so I would find it strange if anyone claimed they were!

Stormrider77 likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'd managed to go 38 years without seeing Cats and we watched this a year or so back. It was enjoyable, but it was shot in SD and looks dated - even the existing blu-ray is an SD up-convert. I think a big reason for making the movie was to get a HD production of it onto the market. I would have preferred they keep the theatrical costumes and staging, but I'll try to keep an open mind when the new version comes out.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I've been reading that theory around here for a couple of years now, and I am sure you've noticed it as well. My point is that there is obvioulsy nothing to support that theory if the highest grossing film of all time is now a superhero movie.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I think there is enough variety in the source material to keep making “superhero” movies for quite a while. Much of the Marvel oeuvre isn’t the traditional “capes ‘n’ tights” superhero fare. You’ve got action, science fiction, horror, and even an upcoming kung-fu movie.

Stormrider77, Michael and Oatsdad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.