The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

No, but supposedly they haven't been in the studio together since Who's Next. In the Quadrophenia documentary from a few years ago, Roger said, "He's never there when I record the vocals, ever. I won't have that."

MPLRecords and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Wow, that's really sad. Obviously Endless Wire and [untitled forthcoming WHO album] are technically albums by The Who, but The Who aren't actually working together.

3. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

I suspect a lot of bands might work that way. Watching a Deep Purple documentary a while back I seem to recall Ian Gillan recording his vocals separately for their last album.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    MPLRecords and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. MPLRecords

As long as The Stones are still working together, I'm fine.

5. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

6. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

New merchandise (from Wembley) in their store on the official site. What a disappointment. They only have T-shirts size Small or they're out of stock. Unbelievable...

Matthew Tate and J_D__ like this.
  7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Name a 70 year old artist who has done that? Springsteens new album is decent but, not on par with his 70s-80s albums.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. MPLRecords

The last (original) albums from The Stones and McCartney are among their best.

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'd like to see a poll because I don't think their newer albums would rank high.

NaturalD, Quincy and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

i'd be willing to wager this is an opinion not shared by many people.

11. MPLRecords

I'm not interested in what the general consensual was. The general consensus says Quadrophenia is better than Tommy but I don't subscribe to that thought either.

12. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Disagree.

13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Please give an a example?

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

We agree to disagree:)

Jet Age Eric and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Elvis Costello will accomplish this in six years.

Look me up then if I'm wrong.

16. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

"Fuh You" aside, I thought "Egypt Station" was one of McCartney's best albums in years. If I picked a Top 5 of his solo albums, I think very likely that one would be in it. It really was good!

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Gold in the US according to Wiki...

jethrowup and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

Slight aside... If you don't have Roger's recent solo LP Amazon UK are now selling it for under a tenner at the time of writing. Free shipping if you have Prime. Looks like the regular black vinyl version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BH9TM6P/

19. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

After Face Dances I think AQO is their worst record, easily bettered by Endless Wire and, well, every record other than Face Dances. -E

20. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

"Who Cares?"

21. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

Roger talked to Uncut magazine about the new record. Among the most interesting things I haven't heard yet:

- "Street Song" has got potential", he says. "But I don't like what's it's about, because it's political. I hate art that's political one way. Because none of them have got the answer, they're all full of ****, he laughs..."it's stifling some serious emotional issues coming out of people that need to be addressed. I often wonder if political correctness isn't screwing the top on a fizzy can of ****ing drink. We've got one song that's not a swipe at it. But it's a view that I'm trying to express here. The verse goes: 'If I can't speak my truth, for fear of being abused/I might as well be a mute, my voice never used.' Which is what that is really all about isn't it?"

- Simon's song is called "Break The News". "I came up with the idea when I was going to see the doctor about something, and I wondered what it would be like if you had to come home and break really bad news to your partner. So this song is very upbeat and happy, but basically saying 'I'll always be the one the break the news/But only if it's good news.' If it's bad, I'll just keep quiet."

- No release date or title given, but article states record was "due for delivery on July 6th, the same day the band plays Wembley." I can only assume that means due to the record company.

- Roger says "it's our best since Who's Next. It's certainly going to make your ears prick up."

22. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Roger says "it's our best since Who's Next."

If this album is better than Quadrophenia, I'll pay everyone who's contributed to this thread $1000.

I feel like my money is safe.

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

24. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

Also, a new album update from TheWho.com webmaster Richard Evans:

"Peter Blake has finished the front and back cover of the album. I've seen the front and it looks terrific. I haven't been involved with the album cover. Peter Blake has his studio guy who does all the computer side of things for him under Peter's guidance.

As to the album, all the tracks have been recorded, from what I can gather, but the final track list has not yet been decided on. All on schedule and I've heard the first track on the album which sounds fabulous. Real yaggerdang guitar and very 1973 Quadrophenia-ish."

25. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Johnny Moondog has already said it will be. Can I PM you my routing number for a direct deposit?

Amazing that The Who are releasing two original albums faster than The Stones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.