'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Tina Brook's Minor Move should be getting a new cover. Has the cover art been released yet?
    I guess the CD cover looks okay.

blutiga likes this.
  2. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

OK, I can only say I still hear it and was curious what it is, since it is something in the recording. The best I can describe the sound is if a crash cymbal was constantly vibrating after being struck (without being actually struck) but instead of being shiny and shimmery it would sound grainy and coarse. I didn't realize it is there the first several times I listened to the album (either volume or version), but it was similar as with that constant tone that runs through the Bill Evans' Portraits in Jazz album - once you isolate it your brain knows how to find it and now I can hear it even over my laptop speakers. That's all I can say. Either way, this does not detract in any way from this stunning album.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    MisterBritt likes this.
  3. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Received Glamoured from dodax.co.uk yesterday - deal of the year for me :)

Kimiimacman and scotti like this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Could what you be hearing be the snare drum, possibly the brush work throughout, and something with your playback system is exaggerating some of that? Myself and others in this thread have tried and do not hear what you are referring to, so my guess is something in your playback system is accentuating something, and my best guess would be the snare drum.

Joti Cover and p.analogowy like this.
  5. p.analogowy

So this might actually explain it: I followed your suggestion about the snare and it turns out there is something called "sympathetic buzz", where the snare wire picks up the vibration from the nearby toms and buzzes. From the google search it seems to be a common issue and it sounds similar to what I am trying to describe.
    As a side note, this is not an issue with the playback system, I also hear it over headphones listening from either an amp, or my phone, laptop speakers and so on. It is definitely on the recording.

6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

That was my first thought too. What I mean by your playback system is that it may be bringing out the snare wire rattling a little more, and/or your ears are very sensitive to those particular frequencies. In any case, it’s a natural occurring musical thing and consider it a cool pickup from the live mics (plus the overall small stage of the vanguard may have an impact on that as well)

p.analogowy likes this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I've played in bands where the amps make the snare rattle like that. It's a very common thing, especially in live recordings or in recordings where the instruments aren't isolated.

8. p.analogowy

Great, thanks! Mystery solved. I have a strong preference for studio recordings so this is the first time I heard it, and as I mentioned, it took me some time to isolate it. I appreciate it @recstar24!

Joti Cover likes this.
  9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

This is the cd cover. It will be interesting to see what BN does if they have gone with something else?
    [​IMG]

Fender Relic and Joti Cover like this.
  10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Then they'd have to retitle it "Kind of Red."

[​IMG]

Admerr, birchstick, bluemooze and 8 others like this.
  11. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I have thought this a few times on MM and now the new BN's. Sometimes it just feels some of the covers are a bit too strident, or just a touch off the classic symmetry of the original labels aesthetic. It's so precious to have the sessions so devotedly re-issued for vinyl though,, but I'm sure a few keen eyes have raised an eyebrow or two :)
    For interest sake here is Clubhouse which was slightly tweaked from the RVG cd release (for the better Imo) and the magnificent, back in the day Face To Face cover.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

13. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

For those who aren't aware, the 24/192 version of Andrew Hill Black Fire is available for streaming on Qobuz (and I imagine elsewhere). Since it's hi-res and was just added in April it begs the question if it's the new TP remastering. @Joe Harley?

14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’m ok with this cover. Certainly not as bad as Chant or Born to be Blue’s original covers

Fender Relic and blutiga like this.
  15. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

I noticed the Byrd and Turrentine are now up for pre-order on Amazon and the Blue Note store.

September 6

• Donald Byrd – Chant (Blue Note, 1961)
    • Stanley Turrentine – Hustlin’ (Blue Note, 1964)

16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Me too, it's a good one overall this one. Born To Be Blue with a new cover design should be beaut. Needs one. A gatefold too, I'm hoping :)

Joe Harley likes this.
  17. guidedbyvoices

Yeah I’d love to see photos of Grant and Ike and Sonny together shooting the breeze!

blutiga likes this.
  18. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Like this one. I think we're gonna get a gatefold :)
    [​IMG]

Dai, MisterBritt, Dmann201 and 3 others like this.
  19. guidedbyvoices

Wow! Hadnt seen that before, thank you!

blutiga likes this.
  20. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

All Tone Poet releases are strictly analog sources....no digital anything!

21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Not true. Joe Henderson "State of the Tenor, Vol2) is a digital recording. And isn't "State of the Tenor, Vol1" coming next year on Tone Poet - obviously from the same live digital recording sessions.

22. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It must have been cold in that studio. And Francis Wolff's amazing photo technique makes it look like they were playing in the dark as well :)

Fender Relic likes this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Joe and Kevin are mastering the vinyl AAA when possible, but they are also capturing the tape at high-res and releasing that to the streaming platforms. Joe's mentioned it in this thread.

rxcory and Josquin des Prez like this.
  24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Those photos were shot on a relatively slow film stock with a flash which would illuminate the subject well and leave the background under exposed.

25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The colour wash image is one of many signature Blue Note looks... and also something MusicMatters went to for restyling
    various other jackets for sessions that didn't get period vinyl issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]