'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yes, for the vinyl releases (except State of the Tenor, which was recorded digitally). But they are also capturing the masters to digital. Other TP titles have also been released on Qobuz in the past few months.

rxcory and Joe Harley like this.
  2. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

I really really hope that we got a Tone Poet release of Tina Brooks' "The Waiting Game".

JMCIII, scotti, ausgraeme and 4 others like this.
  3. Have you compared any of the AAA titles to their digital TP counterparts?

4. Josquin des Prez

Not since I upgraded my digital last weekend, but I do have the Chick Corea on my play queue for today/tonight. I'm going to bet the vinyl version will be much better.

Joe Harley and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So awesome! What a photo!

I really like the pic inside the gatefold of "Face To Face" with Grant, wearing that cool hat and holding that big body guitar...Just love looking at old Jazz pictures...

6. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

It's a gatefold have no fear. It's going to be gorgeous! new cover of course!

7. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Yes, we have a parallel link when we master to a high-res dig recorder that we then sent to UMe. What they do with it afterward I have no idea.

8. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

OK, since you asked, that's on tap for 2020.

9. Joe I know it’s been said before, but having you on the forum is such a treat. Not only for the inside scoop on upcoming releases, but to hear about the process, your thoughts on the sound, and just shooting the **** on jazz is great. Thanks brother!

Elofan, RubenH, musictappy and 20 others like this.
  10. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Hey guys, I get just as excited about getting new test pressings as you do when the release comes out believe me. I was telling Don the other day that much of my motivation comes from wanting to hear my favorites in the best possible way, just like everyone else. 2020 is going to be better than the 2019 TP series, there's no doubt about it! And I'm getting excited about 2021 as well, grabbing titles for that too. There are SO many worthy titles that are crying out to be presented in the right way.

JakeM, Admerr, Elofan and 49 others like this.
  11. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I really appreciate what you and the crew are doing! I think we all do!! You have helped broaden my musical horizons with Jazz and I can safely say that I'm a jazz fan for life! Thanks for everything Joe!

Elofan, musictappy, JorgeGvb and 7 others like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

:righton:

bluemooze, Joti Cover, scotti and 2 others like this.
  13. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Bill. Babe. Stand a little closer to the razor.

sfoclt and Joe Harley like this.
  14. Josquin des Prez

I just played these, and damn they are close. I couldn't have said that two weeks ago, but when I upgraded my Naim NDX2 streamer last weekend with the XPS-DR PSU it really took the digital playback SQ to a whole new level.

I just played both the TP vinyl and the 24/96 Qobuz version of Now He Sings Now He Sobs at the same time, switching back and forth. They are sooo close. The vinyl is better, but it's not an "OMG, this is much better" experience. It's just a bit more than marginally better, IMO. The bass is more defined, the drums have more sparkle and snap, and the piano is more full bodied and more lushly textured. But taken as a whole the digital playback is nearly as good. I'll need to try some more things.

I have to say I am extremely impressed by what Naim has done with their new digital platform. With the NDX2 (which came out last fall) I have the middle tier (ND5XS2 is the lower tier and ND555 is top shelf). It was great before after I first bought it, but adding the PSU hits it out of the park. If it's going to be this good I guess I can't be much of a digital curmudgeon anymore. FWIW: my digital front end is 2/3 the cost (retail) of my analog front end (incl. phonostage).

I need to do some more comparisons. I have some classical to try.

15. Jimmy Cooper

Great news, Joe! This is a release that really makes me happy because - apart from the Mosaic box set with different sequencing - it'll be the first time to get "The Waiting Game" as a single album on vinyl. "The Waiting Game" will close a gap not only in my collection.

Thank you, Joe!

mpayan, Bryce, Joe Harley and 3 others like this.
  16. Josquin des Prez

OK, @Joe Harley, how about some teasers for '20 and '21 titles maybe a bit more outside. Complete Communion, Golden Circle, Conquistador, Unit Structures, New and Old Gospel??? :)

17. Jimmy Cooper

...and what about Van Morrison's "What's Wrong With This Picture?" which hasn't been released on vinyl until now... :cool:

SpeedracerF likes this.
  18. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Tone Poet series going into 2021. Well if that isn't great news at the start of the weekend, then I don't know what is. Thank you @Joe Harley , these sets are treasures to any collection.

19. Jimmy Cooper

It's 9 o'clock in the morning here, I start the day with spinning "Clubhouse".

mpayan, Joe Harley and scotti like this.
  20. AmiV

AmiV Forum Resident

So, State of the Tenor Vol. 1, Money Jungle, The Waiting Game, and Chet Baker Sings are approved for 2020. Did I forget anything ?

21. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

I'm starting to collect this series and I've kicked off with etc. and cornbread both of which are in transit. I'm really looking forward to them. Where to next?

patient_ot and scotti like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hutcherson Oblique (I believe)

Joe Harley, Bryce and AmiV like this.
  23. bluejimbop

So I should give up my revenge fantasy of those kids getting locked out of the house again on Copenhagen’s coldest day of the winter?

24. bluejimbop

Maybe there’s hope for you after all. Heh heh heh.

Joe Harley and Jimmy Cooper like this.
  25. bluejimbop

You danced with James Brown? OH MY GOD!