"The Orville," sci-fi comedy series from Seth MacFarlane.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 15, 2017.

1. Late to the party here but am currently catching up on Series 2. I loved Series 1 and so far this series is even better.

Currently watching the Identity two parter and I can't be the only one who think's there's a massive old-school Doctor Who vibe coming off of these episodes? (as well as a Skynet reference to the war between men and machines on Kaylon that led to the robot society being established).

References I'm spotting are apart from the Cybermen (obvious one - emotions considered a weakness) - The Robots of Death episode (from about 1977, I think) - lots of similarities, such as the idea of a humanoid race that used robots as servants, leading to an uprising (as happens on the sand miner), plus the way the Kaylon speak and act - very calm, mild-mannered, logical and pleasant on the surface, yet with something chilling beneath....

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not to mention the craft and budget they spared to make that space battle melt your geek-fueled eyes...

3. ries

ries Forum Resident

when I watched Identity for me it was basicly the Best of Both Worlds (ST TNG) episode for The Orville, the cliffhanger at the end of part1, and the impending invasion and destruction of earth.ect. Loved it. You can clearly see (and hear, the music makes some nice nods to Jerry Goldsmith) that Macfarlane is a huge trekkie. He pays homage, but doesnt overdo it and doesnt slap you in the face with it.

Linger63, Deesky and budwhite like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not sure if this should be in a Star Trek thread or here, but...

[​IMG]

budwhite and GreenDrazi like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Can you just see Kirk telling The Gardian, "let's stick a pin in Joan Collins for now...can ya get me maybe closer to Leighton Meester...?"

Vidiot likes this.
  6. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I wish it was staying on Fox. I have DirecTV and an antenna. I don't really need any, much Hulu, just one show.....

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Well, I guess I won't be watching anymore.

boggs, MikaelaArsenault and kevywevy like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And the worst part of the story is "the series will launch on Hulu in late 2020 after having been off the air for a year and a half."

:eek:

10. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

What is causing the delay in production? Are the special effects that hard and time consuming to bring the show in on a yearly basis?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. Connect the dots.

Fox Studios is owned by Disney. Hulu is majority owned by Disney. Fox Network is not owned by Disney.

Maybe Seth is being honest, but I think there is more to this than production delays.

12. They are taking a page from the Westworld playbook.

MikaelaArsenault and JediJoker like this.
  13. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

I’m not going to subscribe to every streaming service just to watch a few shows I enjoy.

Bye Orville.

Hadean75, Bhob, boggs and 2 others like this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It really sucks that it's taking so long to come back! At least I'll have one other good scifi show to watch in the meantime - The Expanse.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Drop everything and watch Dark on Netflix. I think that might be the best dramatic TV series I've seen all year.

Nobody's stopping you from subscribing to a streaming service for a month or two to see a favorite show, and then turning it off.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

lololol

sTaR TrEk sUcKs nOw i wOn't pAy fOr tV eVeR

[​IMG]

(every one who held that opinion without crapping on the new Star Trek series to do it, carry on; I understand! this is just for the Disco haters.)

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nah. I watched the first season and thought it was a muddled mess. :shrug:

18. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

Which I did for Lost in Space. Possible, but not ideal.

Maybe I’ll binge watch it toward the end of 2021...

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We stuck with it and thought it was very profound and moving. 94% positive from critics, 93% from viewers on Rotten Tomatoes...

Dark Review Rotten Tomatoes

To me, it's nice to see a really "adult," serious hard science fiction show that doesn't have anything cornball or mawkish in it. And it's completely unpredictable -- there's some stuff in there that knocked me out so thoroughly, I had to rewind to see if I missed something.

Can't wait to start Season 2 shortly. It's polar opposite of The Orville, which is bright and fun and occasionally hilarious, but it's an entirely different audience.

20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Man, that's a long wait for season 3. I wonder if they are doing more episodes with all that extra time

MikaelaArsenault and JediJoker like this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

So is the show pretty much cancelled at Fox then?

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

23. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

One of the benefits of sharing a house with friends: access to their streaming services. I pay only for Netflix, but have access to Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, and—most recently—CBS All Access. I therefore plowed through season one of Star Trek: Discovery and am now about one third of the way into season two. By comparison, The Orville feels more like classic Trek in the mold of TOS, TNG, and Voyager. Disco has some of those elements, but is far more serialized than even DS9 was. It's very much a "modern" television series in that regard. I was prepared to hate Disco, but I don't. I think some criticisms were unjustified (claims of SJW agenda run amok; did we watch the same series?), while others do ring true (canon unbelievability, for one).

Overall, I enjoy both shows and I'm glad they both exist. If my living situation changes, I think I'll be subscribing to Hulu and CBS All Access for them (and for Picard, for which I'm cautiously excited in the wake of the trailer). The Twilight Zone, The Handmaid's Tale, and others will be a bonus.

24. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a good question as to whether Disney/Fox "cancelled" the show or whether Seth MacFarlane chose to pursue a better deal at Hulu. All of the other Fox shows had gotten their commitments (or cancellations), and The Orville was left hanging in the wind. My guess is that they were after MacFarlane to agree to a big contract in order to stay, but I suspect he's looking at bigger money from streaming services like Netflix / Amazon / Hulu / Apple and so on.

And in other news: the show is royally screwed because the two main leads after star/creator Seth MacFarlane, Adrianne Paclick (second in command) and Scott Grimes (the helmsman) are getting a divorce. Never good on a series when two of the main stars have a fling and then things fall apart. Although they were kinda/sorta able to get a divorced couple to continue working on Dexter...

Adrianne Palicki Files For Divorce From Scott Grimes

[​IMG]