Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

The MCU Worldwide Box Office take to date. $22.4 Billion!!!

Rank - Title - Studio - Worldwide/ Domestic / % Overseas / % Year

1- Avengers: Endgame BV $2,790.2 $854.2 30.6% $1,936.0 69.4% 2019
    2- Avengers: Infinity War BV $2,048.4 $678.8 33.1% $1,369.5 66.9% 2018
    3- Marvel's The Avengers BV $1,518.8 $623.4 41% $895.5 59% 2012
    4- Avengers: Age of Ultron BV $1,405.4 $459.0 32.7% $946.4 67.3% 2015

5- Black Panther BV $1,346.9 $700.1 52% $646.9 48% 2018
    6- Iron Man 3 BV $1,214.8 $409.0 33.7% $805.8 66.3% 2013
    7- Captain America: Civil War BV $1,153.3 $408.1 35.4% $745.2 64.6% 2016
    8- Captain Marvel BV $1,128.3 $426.8 37.8% $701.4 62.2% 2019

9- Spider-Man: Far from Home Sony $970.8 $319.7 32.9% $651.1 67.1% 2019
    10- Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony $880.2 $334.2 38% $546.0 62% 2017
    11- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 BV $863.8 $389.8 45.1% $473.9 54.9% 2017
    12- Thor: Ragnarok BV $854.0 $315.1 36.9% $538.9 63.1% 2017

13- Guardians of the Galaxy BV $773.3 $333.2 43.1% $440.2 56.9% 2014
    14- Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $714.3 $259.8 36.4% $454.5 63.6% 2014
    15- Doctor Strange BV $677.7 $232.6 34.3% $445.1 65.7% 2016
    16- Thor: The Dark World BV $644.6 $206.4 32% $438.2 68% 2013

17- Iron Man 2 Par. $623.9 $312.4 50.1% $311.5 49.9% 2010
    18- Ant-Man and the Wasp BV $622.7 $216.6 34.8% $406.0 65.2% 2018
    19- Iron Man Par. $585.2 $318.4 54.4% $266.8 45.6% 2008
    20- Ant-Man BV $519.3 $180.2 34.7% $339.1 65.3% 2015

21- Thor Par. $449.3 $181.0 40.3% $268.3 59.7% 2011
    22- Captain America: The First Avenger Par. $370.6 $176.7 47.7% $193.9 52.3% 2011
    23- The Incredible Hulk Uni. $263.4 $134.8 51.2% $128.6 48.8% 200

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Wait, what? Disney+ is starting Nov. 2019 and it won't have any new Marvel tie in series until the following fall! That's just like planning right there.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't think they care, they will have everything else on there exclusive to Disney + or not.

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I also thought it was decent but not one of the best MCU films....and of course it even got a BP nomination... for the "wrong" reasons. "Infinity war", released just 9 weeks later, was a much, much better movie, but maybe it was not "cool" or relevant enough.

By the way, from a financial point of view, it's strange, as Colin said, that the "Black Panther" sequel is going to be released about 4 years later.

5. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I know I couldn’t do it (and I also kind of liked The Incredible Hulk), but doesn’t someone have a good idea for a stand-alone for him again?

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Not really, considering Marvel has released four films that grossed more, two of which came after BP.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, I don't give a crap about any of these. I'd have no problem seeing Guardians 3 or a reboot of Fantastic Four, done well. I'm ambivalent about the new Dr. Strange movie, but I'd give that a chance. The rest are kinda "eh" with me.

Note this list does not indicate a Spiderman 3 with Tom Holland, and I think his contract is almost up.

The standalone feature rights are still held by Universal, and they have no interest in selling them to Disney, so there's "zero chance" for another Hulk feature according to actor Mark Ruffalo. They can use Hulk as a supporting player in other Marvel movies.

Disney+ will be $6.99 a month or $69.99 a year, less than half the cost of Netflix (by design).

budwhite and Boomy like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, Black Panther was a big hit because it was a well-told story that people wanted to see. You can make an argument that minority audiences were underserved by current superhero movies, so maybe this filled an important niche the studios were ignorning. Any movie that unexpectedly makes $1.5 billion dollars makes movie studios and theater owners sit up and take notice.

I was one of many who doubted that the movie would do well, but I was pleasantly surprised: I think the movie was better than the comic book, very well-made, and had terrific characters. I liked the women more than anything else in the film -- I thought that was a big surprise and very entertaining.

We get Amazon Prime, so we're in for the free shipping -- the movie/TV service is just an extra fling. We also pay for Netflix 4K, Hulu, and CBS All-Access, plus DirecTV, and you add it all up, it's gotta be $200+ a month. I would probably balk at also paying for WB or Universal. Disney I would go for.

Stormrider77 and Dr. Pepper like this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I haven’t seen any mention — are they still planning to continue the idea of the Avengers and have a movie every few years where some or all of the characters team up?

10. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing when I was looking at Phase 4 stuff last night.

11. Wander and The Vision from The Avengers.

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

This is what I’m hoping will be the last film of the MCU! :pineapple:

[​IMG]

alexpop and showtaper like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No final word yet, but my bet is a new lineup of Avengers including Spiderman and Deadpool. Thor is questionable, Hulk is possible, Guardians are possible, certain characters are dead or 100 years old, so...

The big question mark to me is Fantastic Four, which I always thought was the greatest comic Marvel ever published (in the Jack Kirby years). How they're gonna pull off that reboot, I dunno -- there's a really bad taste from the last 3 or 4 of those things...

It's interesting that they're going to cross-pollinate the Marvel movies and their Disney+ TV shows now, which adds a new dimension to what they're proposing. This also means that Kevin Feige is going to have added responsibility for some of Marvel TV, which is a big power shift...

Stormrider77 likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Financially, the Avengers flicks need to be viewed separately from the other MCUs. They're a different beast - you can't expect a single-character, fairly standalone movie to compete with the massive Avengers adventures, especially given that "Infinity Stone" and "Endgame" capped a long cumulative journey.

"BP" is the highest-grossing non-Avengers MCU movie by $200 million over 2nd place - and "Captain Marvel" benefited from the build to "Endgame" more than "BP" benefited from the build to "IS".

Not sure why you're so eager to minimize the accomplishment and also to essentially claim "the public" didn't really like the film...

Stormrider77 likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

You can erase the maybe - there's no question "BP" was huge with African-American communities. I work in a predominantly AA county and saw the pervasive impact it had.

Friends who didn't care much about other MCU movies saw "BP" and bought "BP" merch and posted FB pics doing the "Wakanda Forever" pose.

African-Americans alone don't get a movie to $700m in the US, but they made up a major part of the audience.

This also explains why "BP" is the 1st MCU movie since "Iron Man 2" to make more in the US than overseas: $700m US, $646m foreign...

16. Oatsdad

Don't see how GotG as part of an actual Avengers team - not just an Avengers movie with 8000 other heroes - works.

A team as part of a team? Makes no sense...

17. Oatsdad

Sony has the rights, not Disney, so Disney ain't gonna promote a property that isn't theirs!

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

You have. I mean, leave aside the obvious criticisms of the various "new directions" - they're never going to top the whole Infinity War - Endgame buildup. They've built this massive and largely brilliant cinematic universe, now watch them take it apart and play with it until it's completely unraveled.

An aside - it seems odd that there's no Captain Marvel sequel in the roster, I thought she was going to be the new anchor character replacing Iron Man.

The Hermit likes this.
  19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Why ugh? They had an interesting take on it in the comics. The cinematic version obviously is not going to try to get any mileage out of delaying the reveal about her identity to the audience like they did in the comics.. :)

Oatsdad and BeatleJWOL like this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Your next post explains it well. :shh:

Oatsdad likes this.
  21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

...and was the only Marvel Studios film to be nominated for Best Picture and win any Oscars (Costume Design, Production Design, and Original Score)? (Unless you count "Spider-Man 2" which won for best VFX)

Oatsdad and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

not a fan of portman. I guess they offered her a boat load of money to come back after she bashed the MCU. Also hated how they made Thor a fat goofy character. Just not excited by a lot in this phaseIV. Maybe its burn out on my part. DC already ruined the superman franchise-great stories already written but for some reason can't see to make it work on screen ( I did like man of steel). Now the MCU kills of iron man & captain america. left with captain Marvel...another movie that was just ok. No Hulk movie on the horizon either. Don't care about movies with second tier heroes either- black widow, falcon, winter soldier.

dkmonroe likes this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Speaking of....
    Was there any talk on more "DP"'s during the Comic-Con festivities?

24. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

They have so many potential properties now. It will be interesting to see if they can do them all justice. Might mean we will be getting fewer sequels going forward and more one-offs like Black Widow. Not necessarily a bad thing. Not everything needs to be a trilogy, though I think Ant-Man is worthy of one more go, since they kind of set themselves up for it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've been anticipating a Black Widow movie for years now. It should have happened long before now. Black Widow is a great character. Thor is a great character. Taking Thor's identity away and giving it to a completely different person is a novelty stunt. IMHO "Jane-Thor" ought to be a "What If?" episode, not a stand-alone Thor movie.

Paper Wizard likes this.