The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

When did you see a movie in the theater?

2. Mesozoic Mike

Mesozoic Mike Forum Resident

Yesterday. Interesting premise, but I was disappointed when it became a Rom-Com.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw the Lion King this afternoon.

Whole lobby, theater was packed.

It was on multiple screens and I went out to get a pop refill and it was still just as packed an hour later.

4. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I know her from Crazy Rich Asians and also from Ocean’s 8. She played a somewhat wacky type in Ocean’s 8 as well, although not as over the top as in Crazy Rich Asians. Considering The Farewell’s subject matter, I’m guessing there is more to her than “the wacky sidekick” role.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Definitely. I'm not claiming she's the actress of her generation, but she shows a depth and range far beyond what she has before.

brownie61 likes this.
  6. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I saw Midsommar a few weeks ago. Wife hated it. I thought it was great.

7. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw The Farewell today. I really liked it and thought it was an interesting glimpse into Chinese culture and Chinese family life. I thought Awkwafina was terrific. She is very natural in whatever role she plays and I was happy to see she is good at drama as well as comedy.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

Before that it was “Spiderman: Far From Home”

9. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Secret Life of Pets 2. My son really wanted to go see it. It was terrible. I think I laughed at one scene that was somewhat clever.

I think Louis CK, whom voiced the lead character in the original, wrote a lot of the jokes in that installment as, though the plot was dumb, it was at least funny. The plot was even worse, and there was no humor to alleviate the long boring stretches. Patton Oswalt filled in for Louis CK, and I think he just did it for a paycheck.

All of the previews for kids movies looked terrible as well. An awful looking live-action Dora the Explorer. A Chinese-produced film about a Yeti that had nearly every movie cliche crammed into one trailer. I think with Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 coming out this year, the other studios have given up on the kids market.

Stefanie M Lesser likes this.
  10. Stefanie M Lesser

Stefanie M Lesser Forum Resident

Me too on my birthday last year...

BluesOvertookMe and GodShifter like this.
  11. bassordrum?

bassordrum? Forum Resident

Seeing the former tomorrow. Seeing the latter later.

12. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Avengers-Endgame

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just came out from Echo In The Canyon tonight, thinking it was a lot better and focused on the right players than I was afraid it might be. Nevertheless would like to have seen more of the other non-superstar but influential players in the Canyon, and some of their backstories.

Still, think they sold the resultant album better than they sold the actual history, I suppose. I'm still not a Classic Rawk fan, but I would totally buy the performance doc as an album or a video in and of itself. Well-"cast".

Reminds me a lot of Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, as a combination doc and an excuse for a performance event.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Mesozoic Mike and maui jim like this.
  14. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

And I saw The Farewell on Wednesday.
    the whole film was terrific, Awkwafina in particular.

If you have not seen Awkwafina's interview with Stephen Colbert, there is much to recommend it.

Chris DeVoe and brownie61 like this.
  15. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Once Upon a Time...

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's really what the film is at its core. It's jazzed up with the "no Beatles" gimmick but it's mainly a rom-com at heart...

Mesozoic Mike likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Used AMC A-List for "Art of Self-Defense" today.

Disappointing movie. Essentially summed up as "Wes Anderson Remakes 'Fight Club'"...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Hobbs & Shaw at the theatre today.

If you like Fast & Furious franchise, you will like this one too. Lots of action, car chasing, and tons of fighting.

Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Sounds original.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not as sexy or serious ( if that’s possible ) but way funnier.

neo123 likes this.
  21. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Forum Resident

In 2014, I saw Love & Mercy in the theater

brownie61 likes this.
  22. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

The Farewell, last Sunday. The kid playing the groom was hilarious.

23. ShayL

ShayL Forum Resident

July 1st I saw Scott Freiman's latest film lecture in his Deconstructing the Beatles series, Abbey Road side 1

24. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Fast & Furious Hobbs & Shaw. Had an afternoon to kill. Been to the only shop selling records in Wigan town centre (bought Neil Young, On The Beach re-issue) so the cinema was the only option. Mostly kids movies being summer holidays and I'm not sitting in a room full of kids for two hours. Looked the best of an average bunch. Probably the most ludicrous film I've seen for a while. Like Statham and The Rock doesn't offend me, obviously got a big PR machine there giving him a 'pleasant type of guy' image in a bland sort of way. 5/10 Though, Jesus, that Reynolds fella is annoying.

25. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood on Sunday and I’m seeing Spider-Man Far From Home today as Tuesday is cheap movie day up here.